103 replies to this topic

#51 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:13 PM

"April showers bring May flowers" -- they say.  :)

Weather_20190403-1.jpg

...also bring cheatgrass to a lot of the West (including my place).  <_<

Back on the positive side (for me):  The string of days with more-or-less above-freezing temperatures means I can fill my camper water system to check out its new-and-improved function without worry of freezing it (again). :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#52 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:35 PM

sorry about the cheatgrass. I hate cheatgrass.

Another sign that spring is here - on our early morning walk today a small mountain lion ran across the road just ahead of us. The Lady saw it. I missed it. The deer haven't really started moving up country yet but there are lots of turkeys, dogs, and cats about for dining options for the big cats.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#53 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:48 PM

sorry about the cheatgrass. I hate cheatgrass....

Oh yeah -- very much!   :angry: 

On a purely personal level:  As a kid, and sometimes as an adult, after walking through a field of dry cheatgrass I've sometimes thrown away the socks I was wearing rather than spend an hour de-cheatgrassing them.

On a bigger scale:  Besides displacing native grasses ("Early to sprout, early to seed, makes for a really horrible weed!"), dry cheatgrass is an explosive wildfire starter/spreader.

Another sign that spring is here - on our early morning walk today a small mountain lion ran across the road just ahead of us. The Lady saw it. I missed it.

Wow -- very cool! 

Alas, I've still yet to see a mountain lion, cougar, panther, puma...

I'm not usually a believer in the "bucket list", but if I made a bucket list I'd put "seeing a mountain lion in the wild -- close but safe" -- at the top.  Maybe if I was really old I could drop the "but safe" part.. 

#54 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:06 PM

Cheatgrass sucks---as does this god darned weather. It may be a little warmer, with dashes of nice weather, but it rains and rains and rains (with snow in the high country) and it's cold still at night! I know it is great for the drought and all that fast growing cheatgrass but at the present rate I'll need a boat to get out and about this spring.

Mark, want some mountain lions come here, with all the local deer in town instead of the woods these days, the lions have come to town too. There is one up where  I walk "Bob," and one last year was dragging his kills over behind the college gym to store them. Fish and Game just put down a injured, sick and very thin young female over on Bizz Joihnson Trail("bout a 1/4 mile from me) last week. You have to watch your dogs these days, but no one has been attacked yet.  Ho, Ho, Ho, Spring is here, but where is my hot summer.

Little know cheatgrass factoid: according to a wild lifer  friend, during the first few weeks of it's growth period in the Spring, cattle can eat it, after that all it is good for is catching on fire and crowding out native veg.

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 03 April 2019 - 10:07 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#55 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:25 PM

"April showers bring May flowers" -- they say.  :)

And Mayflowers bring Pilgrims.

It's spring anyway.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#56 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:18 AM

Blossoms on the peach trees and we just took the snow tires off the Lady's Subaru. When is the next snow storm?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#57 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:54 PM

Took the top off the Jeep yesterday. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#58 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:52 PM

It's the "nicest" spring-like local forecast I've seen since last year -- High temps of 70+ (°F) forecast for 4 days out of the next 7.

Weather_20190418-1.jpg

:)

#59 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 April 2019 - 02:42 AM

Hey, even we might see 70° on Saturday. It is great to see the long winter coming to an end. Tomorrow should be the first day in quite a while that I won't see snow and ice lurking on the north side of things.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#60 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:38 AM

First night sleeping with the window open. Bad news is a lot of folks are still using their wood stoves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users