15 replies to this topic

#1 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

Posted Image

"I have wined & dined with Kings and Queens and I've slept in alleys eatin' pork & beans."
- 'The American Dream' Dusty Rhodes

Part I

It's the ducks & geese that I will remember the most.

The ducks & geese... The ones that bob and float on Lake Broadmoor in Colorado Springs. Early in the morning, late in the evening they are here. Honking to each other and honking just to be heard. A sanctuary with no natural predators nearby, they are part of this resort under Pike's Peak. They are about the only natural element in this purposefully created corner of the world...

For the last few days and with a couple of more to go, I have been a guest at the 5 star Broadmoor Resort. This beautiful place with it's marble floors and stairs, lit up by crystal chandeliers, offering fancy boutique shops, a world class golf course (the seniors US Open will be played here this summer), several fine dining restaurants and valet parking.

In 2008, only 100 hotels and 60 restaurants in the world achieved the coveted 5 diamond status. To say anything other than the Broadmoor is top of the line would be a huge disservice to the dedicated staff. The Grand Dame of the Rockies is more than a resort; it's a living landmark of the old West. For 90 years the Broadmoor has hosted the rich and famous. John Wayne, Bob Hope, Ronald Reagan and Winston Churchill have been guests here. And now, me.

Posted Image

I'm neither rich, nor famous. I'm a tag-a-long, a plus one to a lady who is here for a business conference. I'm here merely to carry her bags (although tuxedo clad bellhops did that for me) and to do the driving on the Daytona-like speedway that is I-25. I'm a duck, a Mallard. An outsider looking in. Bobbing in and out of European inspired buildings, floating on a high of opulence and unsurpassed customer service...

"May we turn your bed down for you?"

"Is the room temperature to your liking?"

"Have you had a chance to visit our world class spa?"

"Your in room touch-screen computer will assist you in making your stay more comfortable."

Posted Image

Their slogan is, "If you've been here, you know." Oh, I've been here and I know...

I know that I've gotten a glimpse of how a very small percentage of the population lives. I know that some people enjoy this type of living. Like many of the older women here; far past their physical prime with unnaturally colored hair, wearing too much make up, in designer jeans that sort of fit now that they have had the fat sucked out of their ass and had it shoved back into their cheeks and forehead. These are the type people who are so self-absorbed that they never look up or around in the restuarant. They can't be bothered to take it all in because in their minds, they are what is worth looking at. Sad....

And the men, in their crisply pressed shirts tucked neatly into properly cuffed pants, with slicked back hair or shiney bald heads, looking extremely fit and wealthy. Many with their bluetooth ear pieces in, walking quickly & carrying $400 leather shoulder bags, convincing themselves or trying to convince someone else that they are worth doing business with. Perhaps they are, perhaps I'm too judgemental. Perhaps I need to get the Hell out of here.

Posted Image

I'm not used to being catered to. I don't like being dependant on someone to go fetch my vehicle. I don't like paying $3.75 for a can of Diet Coke. I don't need my bed turned down (although I do like having someone else make it) I don't need a flatscreen TV in the bathroom, even though watching Bill O'Reilly is much more tolerable when sitting on the crapper. I don't like the aura of the other guests here. This isn't my place, this isn't my world and thank God, this isn't my life.

In a few days we'll be moving on, headed south to a Colorado experience that is more my style. Small towns with big views, tucked into high mountains. Where I can park my own truck, carry my own bags and where Carhart and Wrangler, are the only clothing labels that matter. I'll be comfortable there, where a bar is a smokey dimly lit place, with spit & blood stains on the floor, not a well lit tavern with coasters, easy chairs and hanging fake plants. Where people smile and say 'Hello', because that is their nature, not because it's their job.

That is where I'll be most comfortable, most at home and feeling most like myself. And not feeling so much like a duck out of water...

Posted Image

.....to be continued -

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#2 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for your report on the real Colorado. Great writing.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

I want pix of KC in a western Tux.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:31 AM

Be sure to wear the Bolo tie with your tux!

KC, I hear ya... our sales meetings are at places like this every year and it kills me to think how much money we spend at these events. I don't think KOFA or Moab are acceptable locations though for these meeting... I can keep hoping. Until then I too will remain a fish out of water.

Hang in there!

Kyle
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:12 AM

Wow!!!

That is not where I want to spend my hard earned dollar. But you gotta experince it once. Go the distance.....(as I listen to the Gladitor sound track).

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:27 AM

...another round from this afternoon.

The Broadmoor is a stunning and unique place. Even though it is not my ideal way to escape, the facility is amazing. The people are freaking me out, but there is tons of stuff to photograph that I'll likely never see anywhere else...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#7 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

Interesting to live in a couple of different worlds. Work meetings would send me to similar locations and I usually show up on my bike (ST1300) and then get inside and put on the fancy stuff:D Nice photos:thumb:
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,032 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:13 AM

Thanks for the pics. Likely the only way I'll see a place like that.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

After six years of living in Lake City, CO I know one thing for certain about Spring weather in the San Juans. Don't tempt it...

Posted Image

Thursday March 26, 12:00 noon - Ouray, Colorado

....'nuff said.

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#10 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:57 PM

LOL, KC. We got a foot or so of that same thing yesterday/last night... and Vail Mtn. is reporting 35" in the last 4 days :thumb:

I've seen snow here in every month on the calendar. In '96 we had 5" on the
4th of July and all of the local fireworks shows were cancelled. In the mid 80's we had 3 ft in June after all of the aspens had leafed out...and you can still see bent trees in certain areas of the forest from that storm...20 years later.

Just checked the radar and there's another blue blob heading this way from Utah...

Simon says "Go Snow"... (and drive carefully)

mtn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users