• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:45 AM

I'm slow, but I try to do it right. Here are some pictures of what I did to the "Wimpy" Toyota. First off this was done for better off road capability, none of this was done so I could mount a camper on the truck, it's a daily driver, the kind you need if you live where I do. I did this for myself, in no way am I endorsing any of the components, or making any suggestion that you should do this. The components are as follows:
Icon (Donahoe) billet upper control arms
King coil over fronts
11/2 Diff. spacer kit (to retain stock pinion angles in drive shafts)
ARB rear spring packs with grease fittings (8 spring pack with the over load leaf removed, great with a camper, no camper in this trucks future so I removed it for a better ride.
King rear res. shocks
American Racing Mojave 18"-8" Teflon wheels
BFG KM2 285-70-18
assorted other odds and ends (brake lines etc)

I am aware that this doesn't interest everybody, but it's intended for those who might be. Sorry no duck pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• my pictures007.jpg
  • my pictures008.jpg
  • my pictures010.jpg
  • my pictures009.jpg
  • my pictures013.jpg

"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#2 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:55 AM

I'm slow, but I try to do it right. Here are some pictures of what I did to the "Wimpy" Toyota. First off this was done for better off road capability, none of this was done so I could mount a camper on the truck, it's a daily driver, the kind you need if you live where I do. I did this for myself, in no way am I endorsing any of the components, or making any suggestion that you should do this. The comonents are as follows:
Icon (Donahoe) billet upper control arms
King coil over fronts
11/2 Diff. spacer kit (to retain stock pinion angles in drive shafts)
ARB rear spring packs with grease fittings (8 spring pack with the over load leaf removed, great with a camper, no camper in this trucks future so I removed it for a better ride.
King rear res. shocks
American Racing Mojave 18"-8" Teflon wheels
BFG KM2 285-70-18
assorted other odds and ends (brake lines etc)

I am aware that this doesn't interest everybody, but it's intended for those who do. Sorry no duck pictures.

HERE'S A FEW MORE: The idea I had here was that I wanted this truck to look as much like the Tow Missle as possible. So far I'm happy, it drives much better than I ever would have imagined. When I'm done with this thing it's going to be one nice Toyota.

Attached Thumbnails

• my pictures013.jpg
  • my pictures017.jpg
  • my pictures002.jpg
  • my pictures001.jpg

"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#3 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:57 AM

That's one sturdy looking upper control arm. Might there be some pinching of the hose for the front shocks and there reservoir? It looks close at the full drop in the pictures. Does the hose between the rear shock and it's reservoir rub on the frame? If so, that might cause some problems after many miles.

Those Mojave rims look great.

#4 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:09 AM

That's one sturdy looking upper control arm. Might there be some pinching of the hose for the front shocks and there reservoir? It looks close at the full drop in the pictures. Does the hose between the rear shock and it's reservoir rub on the frame? If so, that might cause some problems after many miles.

Those Mojave rims look great.

Once the truck went back on the ground there doesn't seem to be a clearance problem with the hose, but with any job like this there will be a few gremlins, we'll find em' and fix them.

#5 davidshourd

davidshourd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:53 AM

That looks sturdy. I have an 07' Nissan frontier with a similar set up. really worth it if you take out on the trails at all. Though with the Eagle Camper I am going to need to get some new rear leafs to raise the load and keep the ride quality.

#6 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:01 AM

This is the exact setup I was thinking about, except the Icon UCA, but did not have the guts to pull the trigger!

Couple questions if you don't mind,
1) Isn't the ARB/OME leaf spring a 7 leafs setup? 5 leafs + 2 overloads. How did you got yours to be 8 leafs?
2) Any reason you choice King? Are they come with 550lbs/in coil up front?
3) In compare with stock what's the improvement you feel?
4) How much lift you got on the back? There has been people reporting with OME/ARB leaf pack, it raised the rear by 2 3/4" and this cause the truck to vibrate at certain speed. Do you have the same issue?

Sorry for so many questions, I value you opinion and this is pretty much the exact setup I have in mind for a long time. Thanks for any info you would share!

Alex

#7 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:24 AM

This is the exact setup I was thinking about, except the Icon UCA, but did not have the guts to pull the trigger!

Couple questions if you don't mind,
1) Isn't the ARB/OME leaf spring a 7 leafs setup? 5 leafs + 2 overloads. How did you got yours to be 8 leafs?
2) Any reason you choice King? Are they come with 550lbs/in coil up front?
3) In compare with stock what's the improvement you feel?
4) How much lift you got on the back? There has been people reporting with OME/ARB leaf pack, it raised the rear by 2 3/4" and this cause the truck to vibrate at certain speed. Do you have the same issue?

Sorry for so many questions, I value you opinion and this is pretty much the exact setup I have in mind for a long time. Thanks for any info you would share!

Alex

Alex the standard ARB spring pack is 7 leafs, My friend Dustin had these springs made as a special order, ten sets, there are two sets left. I chose King based on feed back from other users. So far it was a good decision, you probably know they aren't cheap. In fact none of this was, it can be done much cheaper. What I did here was not try to skimp any where, I decided if I had to do it that I would just leave it alone. I measured the ride hight before I started, but I haven't had time to re measure it yet. The ride is unreal, it drives and feels like a Mercedes, no vibrations at all. Why Icon, the easly replaceable bushing is one reason, also I have used Donahoe parts before (TOW MISSLE) I think they are the best choice. I still don't have the bump stops in, I made new brackets which are at the powder coater now. I don't mind the questioms at all, if you have more just ask. If you do this, you're going to be happy, I think, but your wallet won't be too happy. I forgot, 550# coil, are you drolling yet?

#8 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:10 AM

Alex the standard ARB spring pack is 7 leafs, My friend Dustin had these springs made as a special order, ten sets, there are two sets left. I chose King based on feed back from other users. So far it was a good decision, you probably know they aren't cheap. In fact none of this was, it can be done much cheaper. What I did here was not try to skimp any where, I decided if I had to do it that I would just leave it alone. I measured the ride hight before I started, but I haven't had time to re measure it yet. The ride is unreal, it drives and feels like a Mercedes, no vibrations at all. Why Icon, the easly replaceable bushing is one reason, also I have used Donahoe parts before (TOW MISSLE) I think they are the best choice. I still don't have the bump stops in, I made new brackets which are at the powder coater now. I don't mind the questioms at all, if you have more just ask. If you do this, you're going to be happy, I think, but your wallet won't be too happy. I forgot, 550# coil, are you drolling yet?

Hold on a sec, I'm moping the floor.
Done.

Kings are not cheap that's for sure, I priced them out about a year ago. But good stuff usually cost more as long as they live up to the expectation then it's money well spent.
I've put my Taco on the scale at a land fill, weighted each axle and each corner.

Tacoma with full tank of gas, some stuff in camper and driver it weights:

total: 5600lbs
front axle: 2600lbs
rear axle: 3040lbs
front driver: 1280lbs
front passenger:1320lbs
rear driver: 1660lbs
rear passenger: 1380lbs

I'm debating if I should get custom leaf pack or get the OME/ARB leaf. I email ARB USA and they ask OME in Australia and the leaf pack was tested with 400kg(880lbs) on the truck. Engineer from OME Australia confirm that with the weight I'm carrying I should get about 1" lift in the rear. I'm guessing this means the truck will be sitting on overload leaf all the time, do you think it's ok to have the truck sitting on overload all the time? If it's not preferred then maybe custom leaf pack is the way to go.

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

First off this was done for better off road capability, none of this was done so I could mount a camper on the truck, it's a daily driver, the kind you need if you live where I do. (AND LIKE TO TINKER AND HAVE COOL TOYS)

Fixed that for ya. ;)

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

Since you have all the weights give National Springs a call and see what they can do for you and pricing. I have a set of four and is very pleased with them.

http://www.nationalsprings.com/

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users