9 replies to this topic

#1 Rhust

Rhust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:28 PM

I have a 2018 F350 with the fifth wheel option.  Is there an adapter for the four wheel camper power cable to allow me to hook into the fifth wheel power receptacle in the bed of my truck, or would a connecter need to be installed and ran to my battery's?

Thanks

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:39 PM

My opinion... You can make your own. It’s 7 pin to an Atwood trolling motor connector (assuming that’s what FWC is still using). Or, you could put a 7 pin on the FWC umbilical if things fit.

You will have a 12 VDC leg, marker lights and a ground. If your F350 is like mine, your 12 VDC will not be live when not running.

I am haunted by waters

#3 OffTheGridMaps

OffTheGridMaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationWhitefish, MT

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:42 PM

I've been thinking about the same thing for a short-term fix just to get power to the camper until I can get the truck wired up properly.  I just got an 05 Eagle, and the trolling motor connector that I have looks to be either a MinnKota or MarineCo ConnectoPro.  It is a 3-wire connector, with curved (like the moon) shape.

It looks a lot like these:

https://www.hodgesma...ac2018bp-24.htm

https://www.amazon.c...0U/ref=sr_1_22?

Edited by OffTheGridMaps-Montana, 03 July 2019 - 05:42 PM.

2005 FWC Eagle | 2003 Toyota Tundra

OffTheGridMaps.com - Maps of Montana's best outdoor recreation activities

#4 Rhust

Rhust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:53 PM

I haven't received the camper yet. When they install it they will put in a connector (I assume), but I though if there was an available adaptor I would use it instead of drilling a hole in the bed and installing a new connector. What is everyone doing on their rigs?

Thanks

#5 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:04 AM

Rhust, I also power my FWC from the fifth-wheel power connection in the bed of my truck, a 2011 F-250. I like it.

You will need to decide whether to keep or remove the plug that will come on the camper's umbilical cord and normally plugs into a FWC-installed receptacle in your truck bed. That's the Attwood or MinKota or Marinco plug and receptacle that others were talking about. 

If you keep that plug on the umbilical cord, you'll need to fabricate a simple three-wire jumper cable with that style connector on one end and a seven-pin connector (using only 3 pins) on the other to plug into the receptacle on your truck. Your alternative is to cut off the umbilical cord plug and wire it directly into the seven-pin plug. 

Be aware that either way you may need extra-length of wire because you'll probably have to plug and unplug from the bedside receptacle before you actually slide the camper into the bed of your truck. Maybe some people are able to plug/unplug through a turnbuckle access in the camper, but I'm not that flexible.

The three wires from the camper are ground, running lights, and a connection between the truck's charging system and your camper battery. In many trucks, charging power is automatically disconnected from the truck's charging system to the battery when the truck's ignition is off. If so, you won't need the auto battery disconnect that FWC installs in the camper to keep the camper from running down the truck battery overnight.

Also be aware that given the length and smallish size of the wires from the truck's charging system to the camper battery and back, the charging system won't be able to anywhere near keep the camper battery topped off or provide enough current to keep a 3-way refrigerator on DC from draining your camper battery. But using the fifth-wheel connection is still a good idea when available in my experience and opinion.

Ed

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 04 July 2019 - 04:38 AM

One question I'd have is, would "they" (the FWC installer) install and hookup the camper using anything other than the connector and truck to camper wiring of their choice ... for their own reasons of course.

I'm thinking if their answer is NO, you might want to just stick with the set up as installed.

IDK either way, just thinking aloud ...

#7 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

Interesting, I didn't realize other FWC owners were doing this.

I purchased the electrical install kit and it is the Atwood 3-pin.  I did the install myself and having a heck of time reaching the plug through the turnbuckle access.  

Rhust, I also power my FWC from the fifth-wheel power connection in the bed of my truck, a 2011 F-250. I like it.

You will need to decide whether to keep or remove the plug that will come on the camper's umbilical cord and normally plugs into a FWC-installed receptacle in your truck bed. That's the Attwood or MinKota or Marinco plug and receptacle that others were talking about. 

If you keep that plug on the umbilical cord, you'll need to fabricate a simple three-wire jumper cable with that style connector on one end and a seven-pin connector (using only 3 pins) on the other to plug into the receptacle on your truck. Your alternative is to cut off the umbilical cord plug and wire it directly into the seven-pin plug. 

Be aware that either way you may need extra-length of wire because you'll probably have to plug and unplug from the bedside receptacle before you actually slide the camper into the bed of your truck. Maybe some people are able to plug/unplug through a turnbuckle access in the camper, but I'm not that flexible.

The three wires from the camper are ground, running lights, and a connection between the truck's charging system and your camper battery. In many trucks, charging power is automatically disconnected from the truck's charging system to the battery when the truck's ignition is off. If so, you won't need the auto battery disconnect that FWC installs in the camper to keep the camper from running down the truck battery overnight.

Also be aware that given the length and smallish size of the wires from the truck's charging system to the camper battery and back, the charging system won't be able to anywhere near keep the camper battery topped off or provide enough current to keep a 3-way refrigerator on DC from draining your camper battery. But using the fifth-wheel connection is still a good idea when available in my experience and opinion.

Ed

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#8 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:49 PM

Interesting, I didn't realize other FWC owners were doing this.

I purchased the electrical install kit and it is the Atwood 3-pin. I did the install myself and having a heck of time reaching the plug through the turnbuckle access.

I always plugged mine in before sliding the camper all the way into the bed. Never from turnbuckle access.

#9 Mayday

Mayday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, CA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:24 AM

I plugged mine in as well before sliding the camper in. 

#10 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:30 PM

I plugged mine in as well before sliding the camper in. 

Thanks, I will try that, I ended up modifying the hole in the bed for easier access, but sounds like this would be easier anyways.

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users