Photo
- - - - -

How Much Juice Is Your Alternator Getting To The Camper Batteries?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:00 PM

I've seen the CTEK charger in my Fleet/Tacoma pumping about 50 Amps at 14.4 Volts into the camper batteries from the truck at 13.6 Volts, for a little while after starting the engine. It soon settles to a steady 20 Amps until the battery nears 100%. I have no way to tell what part of that might be from solar. The truck-to-camper wiring is 4 AWG, but I doubt it would really need to be quite that big.

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#12 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:41 PM

I’m asking because for over a year I never had an issue, living in SoCal I’m spoiled and my 275 watts of solar always keeps things tip top.

But after a trip north and a week of full clouds and rain, I couldn’t keep the batteries topped off.

I ran some tests and did some things but curious what others are getting and their setups before I finalize my “fix”

Thanks

Alas, long live the propane fridge for us up here in BC. I do have the dual batteries and standard 160 watt solar panel, which do'nt seem to drain much as they don't have to worry about a 12V fridge at all. I also have 150 watts if portable solar panels I could use (have not yet, but will be in 2 weeks when I try to use my portable pellet grill with the camper for the first time and want to max out my electrical input).  When I was ordering my Hawk, I was set on the 12V fridge, until our Canadian dealer suggested that given where we live, and where we will be camping/adventuring the majority of the time to really consider the propane fridge. I'm honestly really glad I did. It sips propane, and keeps things ice cold all the time.

#13 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:46 PM

Alas, long live the propane fridge for us up here in BC. I do have the dual batteries and standard 160 watt solar panel, which do'nt seem to drain much as they don't have to worry about a 12V fridge at all. I also have 150 watts if portable solar panels I could use (have not yet, but will be in 2 weeks when I try to use my portable pellet grill with the camper for the first time and want to max out my electrical input). When I was ordering my Hawk, I was set on the 12V fridge, until our Canadian dealer suggested that given where we live, and where we will be camping/adventuring the majority of the time to really consider the propane fridge. I'm honestly really glad I did. It sips propane, and keeps things ice cold all the time.

I know you love your propane fridge, you’ve told me many many times... :)

I’ve heard 10x many people dislike than like then though, soooo

But what does that have to do with this post? Hehehe :P

Edited by So Cal Adventurer, 03 October 2019 - 11:47 PM.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#14 ClimberRob

ClimberRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationTahoe

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:03 AM

6.6L Duramax, 4 AWG copper wire to Blue Sea SiACR to AGMs, I was getting between 14 and 83 amps. 

I have since changed my setup to a single LiFePo battery and a sterling marine charger, and get a consistent 28 amps.

#15 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:16 AM

I know you love your propane fridge, you’ve told me many many times... :)

I’ve heard 10x many people dislike than like then though, soooo

But what does that have to do with this post? Hehehe :P

I don't know who this 10X person is, but he obviously lives in a sunny desert. And do t worry, I'll keep mentioning things that don't really have anything to do with your post for awhile...... or at least until you start geotagging again. [emoji6][emoji106]

#16 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:14 AM

I don't know who this 10X person is, but he obviously lives in a sunny desert. And do t worry, I'll keep mentioning things that don't really have anything to do with your post for awhile...... or at least until you start geotagging again. [emoji6][emoji106]

I’m going to Geotag your Skottle :)

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:34 AM

last month.  100 AH Li battery, Duramax 6.6 connected via Blue Sea ML-ACR 

IMG 1163

#18 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:35 AM

last month. 100 AH Li battery, Duramax 6.6 connected via Blue Sea ML-ACR

Nice!!

What is your wiring from alternator to batteries?

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:57 PM

2 gauge

#20 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:01 PM

Piker! You can’t be getting more than 60-80 amps from your alternator with those small cables.
Shoulda gone with 2/0 cable.. ;)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users