#1 Brewery Meister

Brewery Meister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, Cal

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:03 AM

Ours take up pretty much the whole back seat too. Although we do get stuff behind the front seats onto the floor.

What do you do with the Rescue Group you work with? It sounds like fun to drive the dogs around... We (I work for the local Parks/Rec dept.) just had our 4th Annual Pooches in the Park today. What a blast.

http://events.santac...hes-in-the-park

We are going to be taking a 2-3 week camping trip this fall. We just haven't decided between Vancouver BC, New Mexico and Colorado. Last year we went to Glacier NP in Montana. Got to visit some family while we were there. If we come out to Colorado I'll have to hit you up for some good spots.

Happy camping, CB:D
Clark B :thumb:

2002 Tundra 4WD Limited...TRD package... limited slip... slight lift... custom built ATC - first one sold.

https://www.allterra...attie_Page.html

#2 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:09 AM

Heya Cab'n

I'm merely a volunteeer who has offered my time/vehicle/gas to drive the highways and byways of Western CO and surrounding areas to pick up Golden Retrievers who are in need...for *whatever* reason.

I also spend a few hours a day on the computer...ala >"when a person is searching for a used FWC"< looking for links to available Dogs on petfinder and craigslist (crazedlist). The thing is..I can buy an FWC and stop the madness but these dogs just keep coming in...and now with the economy crashing..we are seeing a large increase in the number of dogs being surrendered.

I've been able to combine an overnight stay in the Hawk on a few trips and as the weather warms I hope to do more of this. It's a good way to get out midweek..often by myself.

OK...and the dogs!

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

We need to start a seperate forum for Tundra owners with 4WCampers and Golden Retrievers.:D

Clark, the Beermeister moniker was bestowed upon me by Dirty Dog after the Death Valley rally. He gave a couple of us monikers - Sunman for his late night cooking around the fire and myself for organizing a bit of a beer tasting. I'm actually more of a wine drinker so passing the name on would be ok. After the Hog Fest or maybe the Colorado rally we will see a few more monikers show up.

Mt. High, we also belong to a rescue group for Goldens, which is where we got our girl from. http://www.homewardboundgoldens.org/ Good for you for the work you do.

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

Mine's a rescue as well and has a bunch of breeds inside so maybe he is 1/25 Golden. He has friends who are Goldens!
Posted Image

This is Kitt Peak in S. AZ enroute to D.V.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 Brewery Meister

Brewery Meister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

:thumb:

I'll bet there are a more than a few of us out there. What needs to happen to start a Forum?

I've been working on a website with all of our travels but ...wow... it's time consuming. They do expect me to work for a living too... sheesh.:cool:

You mentioned the Hog Fest... sounds like a good one. Where/when is it?

Our favorite radio station out here is KPIG. Used to be KFAT.. the Fat One... LOL

http://www.kpig.com/ good stuff.

Later...

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

2002 Tundra 4WD Limited...TRD package... limited slip... slight lift... custom built ATC - first one sold.

#6 mtn-high

mtn-high

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

That looks like a GREAT organization, Ted. This is the group I belong to:

www.goldenrescue.com

We are one of 3 Golden rescues in the Denver metro....and the reason I got involved is not only my love for the breed/my understanding from owning goldens *how* they can enrich your life...but also because there are few other members on the Western Slope/Western side of Colorado. Being fortunate enough to not have to do the "job" thing...I have the time to offer and help out on a regular basis and am 125 miles closer than anyone else to the dogs in need on this side of the state.

I transported 3 dogs last week...and set up transport for 2 others. In Jan I transported 3 dogs from Aztec, NM to Denver, and a few from Grand Junction as well. It's getting crazier by the day.

I'm sure your group is also seeing a huge influx of dogs as the economy declines...and I URGE and ASK any/all of you who can... **to at the very least** send a donation to your local shelter or Rescue. If you are broke...go down and walk dogs and offer your TIME. I guarantee you will make a difference for the dogs as well as gain/regain a new perspective for their plight.

Barko...I commend you for going the rescue route....and Wow... What a beautiful pup!

Kudos to all who do the same. Good peeps in my book...for sure.

mtn

#7 Brewery Meister

Brewery Meister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

We have a local program that lets volunteers check dogs out for a few hours to a day with an "Adopt Me" vest. It works well. If you can't bring the people to the dogs... bring the dogs to the people.

I agree, just walking them around and spending time with them is so important. For both of us. I also agree that with the economy tanking there will be many more dogs...

Good stuff.

How about that Tundra/Goldens forum?

CB

#8 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:49 PM

My Katie is an adoptee from Southwest Collie Rescue http://www.nmcollierescue.com/

She was one of 42 collies in a breeding/hoarding situation. When she was rescued, she wouldn't let anyone touch her, but now she thinks people are treat machines, and goes up to most people on her own.

Her best dog friend is a Golden :)

One of the things I want to do when retirement rolls around is foster another collie from Southwest Collie Rescue.

Two collies in an Eagle? ...hmmm.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#9 mtn-high

mtn-high

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:12 AM

I was playing with the new camera this evening while tossing the ball(s) to the dogs and thought I'd post a coupla "first" shots.

Kaya is my older pup....9 in May (gulp). My first Golden. Definitely a special boy...we surmise he was a castaway/runaway/poor showing from a Bird Dog/Feild Dog trials show that was at the County Fairgrounds about a week before he turned up at the Eagle Rest Area on I-70...2 miles or so away from where the event was held and was carted off ot the County shelter where we adopted him after a week of going down every night and walking/loving on him/making claim to him. We knew if the shelter folks saw us there every night we would end up with him and they told us one night when we were leaving to be there "tomorrow at 9AM" because he was being released for adoption the next day. I was there at 8:30.

Jamaica...2 years old..was my first "rescue" dog and the dog that started the entire Rescue transport gig. I had applied to Golden Rescue (GRRR) to get a dog but was also watching petfinder..and there he was in a shelter in Duchenese, UT....a stray from the Reservation (rezdog). His picture just spoke to me...and the next day i drove 5.5 hours each way in a nice snowstorm to snag him. 10 mins out of the shelter he was eating a cheesburger out of my hand and looking right at me like "Oh YEAH, BABY!.. I SCORED HERE!" Then he found a squeaky toy..and i guess he'd never had one before cus he squeaked it for 5 HOURS on the way home.

How can ya not love that face though?

After that I withdrew my application for a dog and when I told the lady I now am friends with I had driven out into Utah to get my dog she said "Wanna go get more when we find 'em and they need you to rescue them?"

so off I went...and off I go. I helped 5 dogs get out of high-kill shelters this week..and that is very rewarding not only for the dog's sake..but for the family that will eventually recieve a loving pet.

Enough ramblin'....here's my pups!

Attached Thumbnails

• kaya3-2009.jpg
  • kaya3-2009a.jpg
  • Jamaica3-2009.jpg
  • Jamaica3-2009a.jpg

#10 Brewery Meister

Brewery Meister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:58 AM

I like rescue dogs. I had one a couple of years ago... check this mix out... 1/2 Rhodesian Ridgeback and 1/2 Redbone Coonhound. She was a beauty... kinda screwy though.

CB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users