• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

Here is one a customer sent me the other day.

I thought some of you might find it interesting or useful ...

<<<

Stan-

I bought your Hawk model from you over three years ago, mounted on a Tundra pickup I leased for this purpose. When the lease expired, I downsized because we're trying to be carbon conscious and responsible.

So I bought a 5x10 flatbed trailer and affixed our Hawk to it. Puts easily with our new Rav4 V6 throughout mountainous Utah, my wife loves the step-in convenience, and we have room under the front for a big utility box, bicycles, some firewood, a gas grill or whatever else we feel like hauling. Very handy.

I bought a deep cycle RV battery, mounted it in the utility box, and wired it directly to the 12V power plug. With a solar panel wired in as well, it is always charged and ready to go.

Gas mileage pulling this trailer is better than the Tundra did with the Hawk as slide-in, and of course all the rest of the driving (when we are not travel camping) is double the efficiency of the Tundra!

Pictures attached. Thought you would be interested.

Jack

>>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:18 PM

Notice the rear jacks still on there most likely to keep if from tipping while decoupled from the tow rig. I can see if working if you're mainly doing flat terrain camping. Probably wouldn't hold up too well for a lot of off road terrain which a certain segment of this population is going for. Thanks for the post. :thumb:

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for sharing, Stan. I originally wanted a mostly hard side pop up camper that could be towed in a small package behind an FJ. Sort of like the Adventure Trailers, but not tented, pop-uped. It's a neat idea. Would love to see some really handy turn it into the right config.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#4 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:18 PM

Stan, Thanks for posting this. I works and illustrates the flexibility of a popup truck camper. Young families have used popup trailers for generations, Yellowstone being the poster national park in a popup camper. These folks can easily switch back to a truck camper when desired.

About the only negative is the need to buy a trailer license plate in many states. In my state, the politicians have yet to catch up with the idea that they can tax truck campers separately, so a trailer incurs those additional costs over a truck camper.

#5 EM911ER

EM911ER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationRapid City, SD

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:19 AM

Thanks Stan, I think it's a great idea for those who want the flexibility and you still won't beat an FWC whether it's back country roughin it or improved site camping on a trailer.... just make sure the trailer is as tough as the camper:thumb:. I'll go one step further for you ice fisherman out there, along with my newer FWC I have an older FWC that will soon be mounted on a trailer like this one and will be used for ice fishing with a removable floor board and some kind of weather guard to the ice... breath some new life into a tired, old but very sound camper.

#6 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

Here are some more pictures of a similar set up.

This guy had the best trailer set up for 4x4 off road travel !

:thumb:

Attached Thumbnails

• RonRoach1.jpg
  • RonRoach2.jpg
  • RonRoach3.jpg
  • RonRoach5.JPG
  • RonRoach6.JPG

Woodland, CA 95776

#7 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

/\
|| Now that is friggin cool. I wonder how stable it is off road, in side-to-side fashion? It would be interesting to flip it around, so that the cab over bed would be used as a canopy. Where does one find a trailer like that? The tongue weight would be relatively small too, so you could tow it with a wrangler or FJ.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#8 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

Hey - whatever works for you I guess. think it's pretty inventive. It instantly solves the "where to put the firewood" dilemma, as well as giving you all the space you could ever want to have for aux batteries and fresh water storage. Thanks for sharing, Stan.

#9 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:13 PM

I'm pretty sure he had these guys build the trailer ...

http://www4x4trailers.com

Someone mentioned he had gotten the articulated hitch for it too at one point ?? ...

OFF ROAD PINTLE HITCH FOR TENTRAX TRAILERS

====================================================

Where does one find a trailer like that?

Woodland, CA 95776

#10 benedmonson

benedmonson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

Here are some more pictures of a similar set up.

This guy had the best trailer set up for 4x4 off road travel !

:thumb:

This is the exact setup I'm looking for!!! I want to pull a new Four Wheel Camper behind my LR3.... I need to find out who made the trailer, it doesn't look like any trailer on the trailer website mentioned....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users