Photo
- - - - -

So you like to go on really rough roads...

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:50 AM

We like to go camping and exploring in places where other people are not, so sometimes that forces us to step outside the comfort zone and off-road a little more seriously than one would think we would with a Tundra and "camper".

Some of the best camping spots seem to be past signs like the one we crawled by below.

attachicon.gifbbb.jpg

Nice suggestions trikebubble, things do tend to bounce around a bit more on the "roads less traveled" don't they! I like your thinking about secure storage in the cab as well. I rolled a Land Rover end over end in my youth, the loose stuff flying around inside is what nearly did me in!

#42 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 22 November 2019 - 02:43 AM

It’s been my experience that if you go past the 1st mud hole you can have any camp you want!

#43 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

Air down...

Lash everything down, especially in the cab.

Camper stuff stowed in cubbies (fragile items protected by pieces of thin, cut up yoga mat) inside cabinets, everything else in a Frontrunner Wolfpack boxes.

Edited by Advmoto18, 22 November 2019 - 04:18 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#44 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:59 PM

https://www.cargogea...?partnum=BNICRM

https://www.cargogea...x?partnum=BNICR

I was looking at something like this for the area behind the front seats in my access cab Tacoma. That's where I stash the tool kits, tire chains, bottle jack and misc bags full of recovery gear and such, all the really heavy stuff and all the things that become deadly missiles in a collision/roll over. I currently "kind of" strap stuff down, but I've been looking for a better solution.

These things seems easy and accessible, anybody have anymore creative ideas?

/2

#45 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:26 AM

I've gone two seasons with the FWC on my K5 and learned a ton the first season.  

My FWC is unique that it bolts onto the body of the truck just the way the stock fiberglass top did.  Well, it does now.  Some got bolted to the front of the cab like the factory top and I've found some didn't.  Let's just say 5 bolts down the bedsides don't quite cut it.  So I added a small section of the factory fiberglass top as a header to the front wall of the camper and bolted it to the cab also.  Needless to say mine don't move and I don't have turnbuckles or straps to deal with.  I do check the bolts to make sure they are tight every now and then.  Haven't found one loose yet. 

Now the stuff inside is where I had a steep learning curve on.  When we refurbished the interior the cabinet doors used standard friction locks similar to what you would use on a cabinet door at home to hold it shut.  Woefully inadequate for anything off road.  The first big trip I took the camper on was the Mojave road.  That's a lot of washboard.  Doors flopping open all the time.  As the suspension flexed and shifted weight side to side they would fly open too.  Pretty quickly I figured a way to lash the doors shut with bungee cords I had stashed in my camping gear.  Which meant we had to undo at camp and set back up prior to leaving.  Annoying.

The fix was simple.  I bought a package of rubber T-handle latches off of Amazon.  They are very similar to the ones found on some rotomolded high end coolers.  They have a catch that screws on separately, then the handle screws on.  Space them out so there is a little bit of tension on the T-handle when latched and it stays nice and tight off road.  

I rebuilt the lower bench to include a hinged lid with a fold out flap for a wider sleeping surface this year before the wheeling season started.  Problem was the lid and flap rattled like a lumber wagon on a paved road.  I could only imagine the noise off road.  The rubber T-handle latches came into play again.  Along with using the little felt adheasive backed pads where the sections met for a little softness to touch before two sections came together.  

The bench with the latches.

47886561481_ec662e341a_b.jpg

In this current form I've hit up 3 mountain trails here in Colorado this summer and  the Rimrocker trail from Montrose to Moab with La Sal Pass tossed in, Hell's Revenge and Flat Iron Mesa trails in Moab.  Rock solid.  No doors rattling.   I have an ARB fridge that is strapped to the floor with D-rings.  The cook box (a good sized Pelican case) wedges into the space between the fridge and the bench.  Everything else is located inside the cabinet compartments or inside the bench.  

A buddy was with me on the Rimrocker and Moab trails with his 77 K5 with a similar FWC camper.  I had warned him about tying everything down in the camper or it's going to end up on the floor once we got off road.  He thought he did.  We got through a good chunk of Hell's Revenge when we stopped to watch the tube buggies climb out of one of the hot tubs.  It was a good time to eat lunch we he came back to tell me it looked like a bear got back there and tore it up!  Everything that wasn't tied down was on the floor.  But as I reminded him that's still a problem since our campers are open to the cab of the truck.  If something bad was to happen and you stopped quick (or stood on the nose as we came close to out there) that stuff is going to end up on you in the front seat.  

Needless to say he took more time tying stuff down for the next trail day.  

#46 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 November 2019 - 05:10 AM

I like those latches. Good idea. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#47 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:59 PM

I've gone two seasons with the FWC on my K5 and learned a ton the first season.  

It took me a couple of minutes, and second look at your profile pic, to figure out what a K5 was, but now that I know, that's a pretty cool setup. Do you have a few more pictures that you'd be willing to share?

#48 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:10 AM

It took me a couple of minutes, and second look at your profile pic, to figure out what a K5 was, but now that I know, that's a pretty cool setup. Do you have a few more pictures that you'd be willing to share?

Thanks and I can totally share.  

These are from my last trip attempting Blanca Peak in Southern Colorado.  Just made it to the first major rock obstacle and wisely turned back. 

48856250463_d022e9df86_b.jpg

In full camp mode that afternoon.

48856809138_8bb2828fbe_b.jpg

#49 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:57 PM

Nice setup Zoomad! Compact, rugged, and I bet powerful. Thanks for sharing!

#50 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:05 AM

Nice setup Zoomad! Compact, rugged, and I bet powerful. Thanks for sharing!

No problem!  I appreciate the comments.  There's more on mine over the FWC section in a thread I started over there. 

It's been a lot of fun using it considering I have taken it on many tough mountain trails here in the state and the desert out in UT, NV and CA.  I've driven it through a lot of trails that most won't take a camper into. Just have to be careful in the trees.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users