#1 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

I bet yer already wonderin' where this thread is going...huh? :D

After years of grabbing a plastic peice-of-junk flashlight and wondering if it would actually work, I started a seach a few weeks ago for something that has some sturdiness to it and yes...offers blinding light to boot.

I bought the wife a Fenix TK-30 "Tactical". She wanted something with a good feel and something that she could use for defense, if needed, as well as something that lit the way well. This unit weighs about a 1/2 pound and is about 8.5 inches long. It feels very nice in your hand, and the curvy/wavy ring around the head of the light would hurt like hell if you were on the wrong end of a "kiss".

I bought myself a TK-40....supposedly the brightest AA flashlight on the market. It too, has a very solid/nice feel in your hand....but the real draw here is the extremely powerful LED beam of light this thing produces. WOW. You DON'T want this thing shining in your face! 640 lumens....totally blinding!
It has 4 modes//intensities...and each brightness/setting has its own strobe function.

Along with the flashlights, I bought rechargeable batteries and chargers for each unit. (of course, I couldn't find 2 models I wanted with the SAME type of batteries in 'em) LOL.

I also looked at O-Light, Surefire, and Mag-Lite. All of which have some very nice units in their product lines.

Hopefully these will serve us well for quite awhile.

mtn

Attached Thumbnails

• fenix-ta30-003-1.jpg
  • fenix-tk40-005-1.jpg

#2 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

thought for sure this was going to be a 420 post of some sort...why did I open it then???:rolleyes:
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#3 mtn-high

mtn-high

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

I figured the play on words would draw *a few* folks in, TT. (and scare the rest away) :eek:

I think I've been here before.... :rolleyes:

Either way, I personally believe that the in-depth study of such a topic is far more enjoyable in person/around the fire than on an internet forum. :D

not that I won't mention it here and there, mind you.:)

#4 Brewery Meister

Brewery Meister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, Cal

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

Nice light.

It's hard for me to spend money on stuff I already have too much of...

It always reminds me of cleaning out my grandparents house and just going....FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.......:eek:

CB
Clark B :thumb:

2002 Tundra 4WD Limited...TRD package... limited slip... slight lift... custom built ATC - first one sold.

https://www.allterra...attie_Page.html

#5 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

how many lumens on a 100w bulb? doesnt it say on the box?

that thing uses eight AA batteries!

i would think salty's hog fest would be a good excuse to head over to humboldt county eh? that would be a long way for you. i have to look up where Edwards is.

Edited by HERR42, 21 April 2009 - 04:18 PM.

Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#6 mtn-high

mtn-high

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:50 PM

LOL, Cabn. My grandpa would have been all over this light. Hopefully my grandkids will still find it operable when I'm gone...:eek:

Yup HERR42....8 AA's! Such is why I bought the charger(s) and rechargable batteries! (charger also runs on 12V)

I wish we could head west fo' the fest....it's been a long time since we've been in NoCal. Such is life with a teenager in tow/school/etc. :rolleyes:
(if fish had a skatepark in his yard we'd be there and we'd hear no bitchin')

one of these years...yup....:thumb: Have fun, folks!

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:06 AM

Fenix makes very nice stuff for a chinese company. Have two myself. If you want know more than you ever thought possible about flashlights, try http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

I keep the TA32 at our cabin for keeping track of our black dog in the pitch black when we let her out at night. It lights her up 100ft away without a problem. Standard AA's too- I didn't want the CR32 or whatever they are-too hard to find when you need 'em.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users