Photo
- - - - -

Chinese Diesel Air Heaters (in-depth video series)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:21 PM

After seeing a few Chinese diesel heaters being used in Four Wheel camper builds, I wanted to learn more about them. 

This series of 16 YouTube videos by John McK 47 does a great job of providing both background info and practical advice on these very interesting heaters...

https://www.youtube....OqIbYt6H1ZFSFks

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#2 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:48 PM

I see there's also a Facebook group for these heaters. It appears to be pretty active as there have been over 1300 posts in the last 30 days as I write this.

Chinese Diesel vehicle air heaters - Troubleshooting & Parts Sales

The About this Group section includes this description (plus other info):

"A group setup mainly to discuss the technical side of these air (and air + water) heaters. That includes the installation, running and repairing of the cheap diesel 'parking' heaters that people have already purchased. The heaters in question are the unbranded ones currently all over ebay, amazon and all the other 'import' websites.

Buying these Chinese heaters is considered a risk by most, so this groups aim is to have a central place to post your findings of the actual heater hardware, both good and bad, as well as help from other knowledgeable heater owners."

(Note- This is a private Facebook group so you would need a Facebook user-ID and approval of the mods to see the posts.)

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#3 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for both of these posts. I am really close to pulling the trigger on a heater but want to learn as much as possible before doing so. 

#4 CamperCamper

CamperCamper

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 07:34 PM

I installed a Webasto in my flat bed build.  Would never go with a propane heater again.  Almost never have any moisture on side walls as it puts out a very dry heat as opposed to about 1l per hour of water vapor with a propane heater! It is quiet and recirculates air all night long and maintains a very steady temperature.  If I was to install one in another build, I would have to take a hard look at the Chinese versions being made simply because of the price point.  But, at the end of the day; Do you want German made quality or Chinese made quality.  Not a trick question!  And, there aren't a lot of fire exits in a FWC pop up!

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,964 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 January 2020 - 05:18 AM

I installed a Webasto in my flat bed build.  Would never go with a propane heater again.  Almost never have any moisture on side walls as it puts out a very dry heat as opposed to about 1l per hour of water vapor with a propane heater! It is quiet and recirculates air all night long and maintains a very steady temperature.  If I was to install one in another build, I would have to take a hard look at the Chinese versions being made simply because of the price point.  But, at the end of the day; Do you want German made quality or Chinese made quality.  Not a trick question!  And, there aren't a lot of fire exits in a FWC pop up!

By "propane" I think you are referring to a Mr Buddy or Wave 3/6 type unit, not the standard Attwood furnace or the Propex that some of us are using.  The Attwood/Propex also do not cause condensation issues as the water vapor is exhausted outside.

#6 Chadx

Chadx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 02 February 2020 - 04:53 AM

I've used one of these in my non-insulated snowmobile trailer this season and it's been great. Have a second one sitting here to use in my shop, but have not yet permanently installed yet; just demo ran it a few times with exhaust pipe sticking out through the garage door.

Went with this in trailer because it was cheap and easy to install compared to a vented propane heater and I dislike propane refills. Diesel I can get everywhere and 24 hours. These things use very little diesel.

Edited by Chadx, 02 February 2020 - 04:54 AM.

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,591 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:40 AM

Surfing YouTube while waiting for a truck repair, and I found this Grizzly & Bear video on an install of a diesel heater.  Not a lot of detail, but you can see their method.  BTW, follow these folks, it’s a great mix of travel and cultures.

https://youtu.be/hTc5H475_eA

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users