#1 GSBFree

GSBFree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

I've been contemplating adding a roof rack basket to carry extra gear like chairs, roll-up table, shower tent, wood, etc. I've considered Yakima, Thule, Baja, and Black Widow. I have the factory installed aluminum racks, with an optional rack installed in the middle of the camper. Unfortunately the middle rack is installed too far forward to attach most racks.

I discovered what seems like a perfect solution to a basket rack and it seems like it was made to fit. The basket came off of an abandoned garden center cart like the one sold here...http://www.amleo.com...view&Words=gw40 The basket is 30”W x 46”L x 7 1/2” deep and is made of plastic and large enough to meet my needs and not add too much weight when empty. My intention is to empty the basket prior to raising the roof.

I mocked up the basket to see how it would fit on the factory rack... Basket Rack 1.jpg
The dog barking out orders to me
Basket Rack 2.jpg

I finger tightened one U bolt to see if it might work to attach to the factory rack....
Rack Ubolt 1.jpg
Probably too short of bolt, not enough room to add lockwasher.
Rack Ubolt 2.jpg
Would four Ubolts be sufficient? I don't really like how the bolt will stick up rubbing against whatever is laying on top of it while bouncing down a dirt road.

Does anyone have any recommendations on attaching the basket to the factory rack?

Is there any safety issue attaching the basket to the factory rack?
'15 Tundra Double Cab
'08 Hawk

#2 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

Looks like a very nice and less expensive system!

I would worry about a few things...

1. wind resistence. looks like a lot of surface area on that plastic. May pick up a lot of wind. Will have to try it. Also, watch for noise. When i had a rack and basket on top of the camper, boy did it make a lot of noise. A fairing solved that.

2. U bolts look ok. Right, probably have to be longer and with lock washers and such. Don't want it coming loose on rough roads....

3. If it came in black or white, man, that would be good basket substitute and would never rust!

good luck.

dave in seattle

#3 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:49 PM

GSB,
heavy duty zip ties to hold it down??like the big, thick 400# test ones. I used to put a milk crate on top of my old camper to hold 5 gals of gas, always worked well. easy to remove with a pair of dikes.

I had drilled holes in the crate below the cargo line so the cargo won't sit and rub on the zip ties....

then maybe some spray paint...

TT
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#4 Outerspace

Outerspace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

I'd at least straddle the thicker ribs, not go in between as in the third shot. A fairing would help with the wind drag.

Still don't know if I'd trust it.

My .02

Stephen

#5 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:31 PM

My concern would be the density of the plastic, if it's like a milk crate you're probably fine but if it's brittle or not dense I could see it potentially cracking on a long hellish washboard. Only one way to find out!:D

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,037 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:08 AM

Paint it up. Save some money and another bar yourself. Not hard, lots of us have done it. Just search roof racks.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:18 AM

My concern would be the density of the plastic, if it's like a milk crate you're probably fine but if it's brittle or not dense I could see it potentially cracking on a long hellish washboard. Only one way to find out!:D

I always worried about that even with the milk crate..I figured that leaving the slightest play in the zip ties would give a little wiggle room..
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:27 AM

How much UV light can that take?

It is a great idea...

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

Cool idea. Like the low-cost apprach. Yakama is just way too expensive.
Recommend for sure that you use lock-nuts rather than lock washers. I agree with one of the other readers who mentioned UV light. I suspect that plastic over time may become brittle. Wonder if there is UV stopping paint?
Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users