4 replies to this topic

#1 mrfritz44

mrfritz44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 11:13 PM

My son and I spent some time in Utah and Arizona hiking around buttes which are especially beautiful around sunset with a full moon rising in the background. We'd like to actually climb one of these seemingly unclimbable features and spend the evening on top watching the sun set and the moon rise. The problem is that the only buttes we've seen are pretty much off limits unless you use ropes.

Anyone have a recommendation for a butte that doesn't take spiderman skills to ascend? For reference, Kolob Canyon and Monument Valley are the gold standards from our limited experience, but admittedly are probably not options.

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 February 2020 - 11:43 PM

Will this do? Looking west from the top of Doe mtn. near Sedona AZ. It is a good quick hike to the top of Doe mtn, and fantastic views. And though it is called a mountain, it is really a flat topped mesa (aka Butte).

Attached Thumbnails

• 30807851392_4b38d93d4a_k.jpg

Edited by AWG_Pics, 11 February 2020 - 11:44 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 mrfritz44

mrfritz44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:14 AM

If it's not, it'll do until the best butte arrives.....

;)

Thank you.....I assume you've done this climb, and perhaps during a rising full moon?Screenshot_20200211-191232_Earth.jpeg

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:33 AM

My son and I spent some time in Utah and Arizona hiking around buttes which are especially beautiful around sunset with a full moon rising in the background. We'd like to actually climb one of these seemingly unclimbable features and spend the evening on top watching the sun set and the moon rise. The problem is that the only buttes we've seen are pretty much off limits unless you use ropes.

Anyone have a recommendation for a butte that doesn't take spiderman skills to ascend? For reference, Kolob Canyon and Monument Valley are the gold standards from our limited experience, but admittedly are probably not options.

Hmmm...I thought you could not climb in Monument Valley?  Tribal restriction.

https://www.mountain...monument-valley

#5 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:34 AM

If it's not, it'll do until the best butte arrives.....

;)

Thank you.....I assume you've done this climb, and perhaps during a rising full moon?attachicon.gifScreenshot_20200211-191232_Earth.jpeg

Yup. That's it! Not during the rising moon though. I hope you and your son have a great time and a memorable moment on top!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users