• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:13 AM

Day 43 - Our original plan was to spend more time hiking in the Cave Creek area, but that was no longer an option for us with so many Rainbows around for the next two weeks, so we decided to move towards Pinery Canyon on the other side of the mountains from the Gathering. We were on our way and driving Forest Road 42b, a 4x4 road according to the Forest Service maps, when we came across a huge school bus towing an SUV that was stuck across a creek crossing on the way to the Rainbow Gathering. I have no idea why they though it was a good idea to tackle a 4x4 road with this outfit, but here they were looking at a minimum $2000 tow bill and blocking our way. I found great amusement in the whole thing and got out to ask permission to take a photo. I chatted with the wife who was good natured about it all, took a couple of photos, then turned the truck around to take an alternate route. After a short detour we were back on the right road. We stopped at a spot near Pinery Horsefall Trail that looked promising for a campsite. I had just let the dogs out of the truck and was looking around for the right spot to make camp when I noticed a skunk in the creek bottom. Luckily I saw the skunk before the dogs did and I was able to get them loaded back in the truck without incident. We drove down the road and chose another camp that we thought would be a safe distance, but while we were sitting around the campfire after dinner a skunk wandered into camp within about 5 feet of us before we noticed. Again we were lucky, the skunk turned and ran when he realized we were sitting there. We managed make it through the night and the next morning without us or the dogs getting sprayed, but between the Rainbow Gathering, the school bus blocking the road, and the skunk run ins, I was starting to get the feeling that the Chiricahuas were telling us to go away.

Attached Thumbnails

• Feb 8 Bus in Creek.jpg

#32 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:15 AM

Day 44 - Beautiful sunrise this morning. After breakfast we took a couple of short hikes on trails 336 and 274 then started looking for a new place to go. A little research revealed that the Rainbows had moved to the Cave Creek area from Cochise Stronghold in the Dragoon Mountains. We figured that since the Rainbows were now here, we would go there. So off to the Dragoon Mountains we went. We found a primitive site on the east side of the mountains just before dinner.

Attached Thumbnails

• Feb 8 sunrise.jpg

#33 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:17 AM

Day 45 - The Dragoons and the Cochise Stronghold area were gorgeous, but a little more crowded than we like, probably due to the proximity to Tucson and I-10. We stayed the one night, took a short hike this morning, then headed to Bisbee to check out the historic mining town. We arrived in Bisbee around 3pm and found a campsite at the Queen Mine RV Park, only one campsite was left after us and it filled around 5pm. The RV park was right next to the Copper Queen Mine for easy tour access and within a 5 minute walk of the Mining Museum and the old town area. We took a walk into town and back, stopping to make tour reservations for tomorrow morning, and still had time for a hot shower.

The showers at the Queen Mine RV Park have been the best showers of the trip so far. The dressing stall was roomy with a chair, shelf, and wall hooks for your stuff. The shower was huge by campground standards with both stalls being handicap accessible, and there was a mini wall across the shower basin that prevented water from flooding the dressing stall making it possible to actually put on long pants without getting the legs wet. The curtains were a very clean shade of white and still had a new rubber smell. The water was fully adjustable with no timer, the shower head was was a modern thing with LED lights that changed color to indicate the water temperature. The campground itself was nothing more than a circular parking lot with campers lined up next to each other side by side. We chose the site right next to the dog run and parked with our door facing away from everyone else with a nice view overlooking the old town area. Though less than ideal by our normal standards, we liked this RV park.

Attached Thumbnails

• Feb 10 Cochise Stronghold.jpg

#34 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:19 AM

Day 46 - After breakfast we took the 10:30 tour of the Copper Queen Mine. The tour itself was informative and interesting. It lasted a little over an hour and was guided by a former miner whose stories brought the history to life. The gift shop focused on various gemstones and minerals and had many for sale at reasonable prices. After the tour we visited the nearby Mining Museum. The Museum is a Smothsonian affiliate and it shows in the quality of the exhibits. After we finished at the museum, we headed to Tombstone since we missed it on previous visits. Our camp for the night would be at Tombstone Dry RV Camping for its location just a short walk from the historic courthouse and the historic area of town. The RV park was nothing more than a very large gravel lot and field with a self pay box, $3 per day for cars and $10 per day for RVs, but with only 2 other campers in such a large lot it suited us fine.

Day 47 - We toured the courthouse first thing after breakfast then took a walk around the old town area. While the buildings and history were interesting, we thought Bisbee was more interesting and a better overall experience. Tombstone felt more like a tourist trap, sort of like an amusement park without the benefit of general admission. It seemed every historical building and the smallest of museums all wanted separate entrance fees. Had we paid to see everything that looked interesting, it would have cost more than a day at Disney with a fraction of the attractions.

We soon had enough of Tombstone and headed down the road to spend the night at Catalina State Park. During our last two visits to the area, we were unable to stay at Catalina SP because there was nothing available, even overflow was full. This year I was able to find a reservable site on short notice in the Ringtail Loop, basically overflow sites that are reservable. The sites were horribly cramped and we ended up with camp neighbors from hell, somewhat like the family in the movie National Lampoon's Vacation.

Day 48 - There was never a moment of quiet next to to our camp neighbors, not even overnight. Between the little dog that would not stop barking, the lady in charge of the dog who talked constantly in a volume just short of yelling, the low budget RV with a noisy generator, and the loudest furnace I have ever experienced, we had had enough by this morning and didn't even stay for a short hike. People like this, though they are the exception rather than the rule, are why we generally avoid developed campgrounds and we could not get out of there fast enough.

Tonight we have a site reserved at Lost Dutchman State Park. We have stayed here before and already know what to expect. Two days ago my partner received news that his elderly mother had taken a turn for the worse, so we are cutting the trip a little short to head home and help out with her care. We are making our way to visit friends in Prescott for the weekend then heading back to Idaho.

Day 49 - Lost Dutchman was as nice this time as it was the last. Sites are large and well spaced and we got a good nights6 sleep. Vacation is essentially over and we did not bother with a hike. We set off for our friend's house after breakfast.

Attached Thumbnails

• Feb 13 Lost Dutchman.jpg

#35 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:20 AM

We made it home, the view here never gets old.

Attached Thumbnails

• Feb 19 home.jpg

#36 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:26 PM

What a great trip! Thanks for sharing and allowing us to tag along! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#37 justjames

justjames

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for posting, very enjoyable!

2016 Tacoma Access Cab OR

FWC Fleet

#38 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:55 AM

Thanks for the report. Very informative!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#39 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for the sharing great trip.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#40 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 March 2020 - 05:37 PM

What a great trip.  I could take some lessons from you in planning.  I hadn't thought about Rainbow gatherings in a decade or more.  You were very fortunate that the roads through the Chiricahuas were open.-dr.tucson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users