Photo
- - - - -

Inflation, Deflation, Viair 300p,400p vs ?, Staun, ARB vs ? Any info appreciated.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 04 March 2020 - 02:08 AM

I have both the Staun and ARB deflators. Two sets of the Stauns set at different pressures for the truck and Jeep. They are more convenient than the ARB so they get used more often. I check the pressure occasionally to make sure they haven't changed and they seem to hold their accuracy.

I use the ARB when I need something greater than sand pressure in the truck. The problem I see with this deflator is that if you don't follow the procedure you can over pressure the gauge with 80psi. I haven't had any problems with the valve core.

I have a friend with the ARB suitcase compressor and I have fixed it twice for him. It has a design/material problem and has clogged both times. I wouldn't recommend it.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#12 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:17 PM

Topical for me. For many years i have used the tip of an old school Milton tire gauge to deflate my tires and then checked with a digital gauge. I never felt the need for a $60 tire deflator, but recently I apparently had some money to burn so I bought an ARB deflator. Initial tests in the driveway seemed really clunky and time consuming, but after a handful of practice runs I seem to have it sorted out, and it does deflate quickly and accurately. I also had concerns about repeatedly removing the valve core and am happy to read about successful long term usage with no issues. I've yet to try it in the field so will hold on my final opinion.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#13 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:38 AM

I have both the Staun and ARB deflators. Two sets of the Stauns set at different pressures for the truck and Jeep. They are more convenient than the ARB so they get used more often. I check the pressure occasionally to make sure they haven't changed and they seem to hold their accuracy.

I use the ARB when I need something greater than sand pressure in the truck. The problem I see with this deflator is that if you don't follow the procedure you can over pressure the gauge with 80psi. I haven't had any problems with the valve core.

I have a friend with the ARB suitcase compressor and I have fixed it twice for him. It has a design/material problem and has clogged both times. I wouldn't recommend it.

Could you elaborate on the problem with the compressor?

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#14 dscobell

dscobell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:20 AM

x2 on the Vlair- 400 series with 100% duty cycle. I have the one with the longer hose. No need to reposition the compressor to reach the rear tires on my F350 with an eight foot bed. I have the ARB deflator. I found it difficult to use ... could be user error. Instead, I use just the handle and gauge from my Vlair compressor. Just clip it on the valve stem, squeeze the handle to release air and read the gauge. Easy.

camper: 2016 Grandby

truck: 2017 Ford F350 CCLB gasser

Callsign: KM6GWU

#15 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 29 March 2020 - 02:34 AM

The problem I found with the ARB suitcase compressor was the tube between the tank and outlet would clog with aluminum oxide. The tank is aluminum and any moisture that accumulates in it during decompression drains into a rather small stainless outlet tube. The aluminum oxide in this moisture then hardens like a rock.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users