Photo
- - - - -

WHY do people eventually sell their FWC?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 zirkel

zirkel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:41 PM

I recently found myself in the right place at the right time to pick up a great deal on a lightly-used 2019 Fleet.  

This being my first FWC, I'm looking forward to MANY years of all-season use and travels.  But given the current demand for these campers, I'm curious...

WHY do people eventually sell their campers?

Do they get tired of this type of travel?  Expectations of traveling in a camper not meet reality?  A desire for more comfort (think Airbnb)?  Health or financial reasons?  Gas prices?  Vehicle maintenance costs?

Any insight from current or former FWC owners?

#2 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:54 PM

For me, a 9-yr owner, it'll be old age and all that comes with that reality, hopefully won't be too soon into the future.  We're just short of 500 nights in the Grandby to date, and are planning to get to 730 nights (2 yrs) before I'd consider letting it go, health willing of course.

Rico

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:56 PM

Some people's financial situation change, and there have been several that shared. Life style changes (age). Medical. Too small for their liking. Over the years a number have switched to custom vans. Decided that the pop-up wasn't what they thought. Everyone has a slightly different reason. Most we won't know why. When I see a lightly used 2019 or even a 2018 my eyes do a little roll.
jd

Edited by longhorn1, 25 February 2020 - 11:58 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:59 PM

I think some owners don't like the compromising that owning our style camper might require.

Or the family out grows it.Health/age reasons.

Their loss was sure your gain.

Enjoy your new camper and may it take you on many adventures.

Also welcome to the cult.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:34 AM

I've noticed it too, seems like some campers get sold after just a year or two.  Interesting.

#6 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:44 AM

I could foresee me selling my slide in Hawk for a flatbed version. Since I’ve already dedicated my truck as a more extreme off-road camping rig, it would be nice to have the greater interior room, added storage in a tray with a minimal gain in weight. Spare tire placement is a bit of a quandary however.
  • 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#7 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:58 AM

For me, it will be age.  I've had my camper 12 years and still love it.  I'll be 77 in July, and lifting the roof, climbing in, etc are starting to become more difficult as I get up there in age.  Whenever I have to sell it (maybe when I'm 80) , I plan on getting a small travel trailer and continuing to "get out there".

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#8 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:59 AM

I will be selling mine when the maintenance for the old girl gets over whelming and I get enough money to get a newer model. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:30 AM

Situations change and perhaps, the owner doesn't think about alternatives. For example, we lost my FIL this past fall and now have a need to take my MIL along. The front dinette Hawk is comfortably a two person camper. No place for a third person. As we have gotten the Hawk where we want it, we really didn't want to sell it.

We considered replacing it with a travel trailer but I really don't like dragging a large trailer to places where we like to go. Our compromise was to purchase a IntechRV Flyer Pursue. We just got it and I am making the mods that we think will work for us. Think of it as a teardrop with benefits.

Offloading some weight from the Hawk to the trailer and freeing up the floor of the Hawk to make set up and take down faster is a priority. We should be able to leave the trailer where camped and take side trips in the truck. We'll see how it goes.

Paul

Edited by PaulT, 26 February 2020 - 03:32 AM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#10 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:29 AM

The gentleman that I bought my camper from, switched to a trailer because it was to hard for him to get up into the upper bed. He was eighty years young when he sold his camper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users