• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 06:11 PM

Howdy Neighbors to the north !

I have always wondered why there seem to be lots of "abandoned" towns in BC ?

Is it the weather ?

Is it changing economies ?

I would love to hear from those who may have visited some of these places.

We have spent some time around Tahsis on two different trips and the combination of natural beauty and "modern man abandoned" are just very interesting to me.

Has anyone here been to Walden North  ?

David Graves

#2 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:46 PM

Modern ghost town, eh ?

I used to watch a travel type show and remember two particular episodes on kitsault and ocean falls. If you're interested, search: wings over canada ghost towns / video.

btw the fellow who started that series flew all over the country visiting interesting places. He had a back interest in real estate and living in many of the spot he went to. After all this, when it came to retiring he picked Port Mcneil.

Walden ?, no. Seen the road into but I'm sure it was all buttoned up then. Never knew you could look around.

#3 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:43 PM

Howdy Dave

You tube is full of videos into many of these towns.

As much as I dislike some folks trespass ethics, the film footage can be very interesting.

I guess it all depends on what our interests are....mine are history and natural history combined.

BC has a LOT of both.

David Graves

Edited by DavidGraves, 30 March 2020 - 10:44 PM.

#4 allanb

allanb

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationPhysical location N.w. Wa. Spiritual location rocky mtn west

Posted 16 April 2020 - 12:34 AM

Not a ghost town, but probably former logging camp, judging by abandoned pier, cables, and log yard. Road from pier to yard was down to a path, so probably logged in the 90's?

A few years ago my wife and I paddled from Campbell river to Pt Mcneil.  Without exception, all our camping spots were man made, former log yards, clearcuts, etc. Otherwise the alder and berries were too thick.

On about the 4th afternoon, after 15 or so paddling miles, we found a clearing to pitch camp, the above, former logging deck.

Being ravenous, we broke out cheese and crackers, while setting up the tent. My wife looking up the path, says, what is that coming?

It was a ? hightailing it towards us, 50 yards out. Cute, fun to see the local wildlife. 15 yards, a weasel, wonder why its still running at us? 5 feet, what the he#$, is the thing rabid? A few rocks, discouraged it from running off with the crackers. Back up the trail it ran, unharmed.

We still laugh about it to this day. Only explanation we can think of, Loggers made a pet of it a few years past. It was tame, or at least not afraid of humans. It was thinking, oh my, finally, human food again!!

#5 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 02:29 PM

Hi Allan

We have had somewhat the same experiences with wild things up Island....I am not sure why.

It is by no means a wilderness area with all the logging traffic...maybe just enough of a mix that the critters can survive.

I SURE would not have wanted any animal running toward me unexpected like that.

David Graves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users