88 replies to this topic

#51 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 August 2020 - 08:39 PM

This is a tad unusual: Bend warmer than Redding...!
IMG_20200816_133349.jpg IMG_20200816_133410.jpg
(Weather Underground app for Android)

In summer when it's hot, Redding is usually at least 10°F warmer than Bend.

Maybe it's cloudy in Redding... but it shows "Sunny".

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#52 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:09 AM

Right around the 7th inning of the Giants "bad" game.

Frank

attachicon.gifIMG_4950.jpeg

Nice color in the clouds. Any rain was over the water.

Hope you were not listening this evening. As a long time Giants fan I am officially embarrassed. But not for the first time .......

Edited by teledork, 17 August 2020 - 12:10 AM.

#53 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,307 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 August 2020 - 07:40 PM

I agree not much to be thrilled over.

We do stick to watching most games though,

but not yesterdays after the 6th it was time to do something else.

There's still 38 games left and hope.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#54 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,307 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 07:48 PM

On another thought.We have cooled a bit,but there is a fire in the foot hills of Mt. Toro

outside Salinas. On our walk yesterday morning we noticed a very small plume of smoke

toward the Salinas area.That was about 7am and the fire started about 4am by lighting strike.

It grew to about 1500 acres by sundown but the ground firefighters were called off

due to excessive heat and just fought with aircraft.

Haven't checked today's acreage but I think it's about 3500 now.

Conditions seem to be better today lower heat higher humidity.

Oh well so goes the fire season.Doesn't seem to be a season anymore just anytime of the year.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#55 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 August 2020 - 02:51 AM

Speaking of 'fire season':
This morning in the Redding, CA, area the current conditions on my weather app were given as "Smoke".
When I went outside I saw that maybe "Ash" would have been another way to describe it.
Ash on my car:
IMG_20200819_194425.jpg IMG_20200819_194254.jpg

And light ashfall was continuing.

#56 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,307 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 03:32 PM

Lots of smoke and ash around the Monterey bay area.

River fire ,Salinas area is now 33k acres.The big fire in the Santa Cruz Mts is 44k.

Small towns outside Santa Cruz are being evacuated also areas near the River fire.

The ash is very noticeable,and the air is full of smoke.

Pretty much staying in the house.

Oh summer.

Frank

#57 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,382 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 August 2020 - 04:17 PM

Big red ball in the morning and at sunset with gray overcast. Here's the -

Fire & Smoke Map

Speaking of 'fire season':
This morning in the Redding, CA, area the current conditions on my weather app were given as "Smoke".
When I went outside I saw that maybe "Ash" would have been another way to describe it.
Ash on my car:
attachicon.gifIMG_20200819_194425.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20200819_194254.jpg

And light ashfall was continuing.

Lots of smoke and ash around the Monterey bay area.

River fire ,Salinas area is now 33k acres.The big fire in the Santa Cruz Mts is 44k.

Small towns outside Santa Cruz are being evacuated also areas near the River fire.

The ash is very noticeable,and the air is full of smoke.

Pretty much staying in the house.

Oh summer.

Frank

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#58 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 August 2020 - 07:00 PM

The view from space, just now, of California smokes:

Satellite_20200820-1.jpg

#59 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 20 August 2020 - 10:10 PM

Fires to the east of me, fires to the west of me, fires to the north of me, fires to the south of me (many for the 2nd, or 3rd time this year)-and all sending nasty unhealthful smoke right here into my front yard!  The fire to the SE just  cut 395, so no more runs to Reno. So I ran away from all this last week-up to North Eagle Lake  for several days of camping (planned to go to Nevada, but Red Flag weather there).  Hot and windy with lot's of deer flies, but that's camping-fine. Only one other camper and some day boaters there , until, that is,  the guy with the parrot arrived!  Yep had a parrot on his shoulder as he drove into the CG; parked on a fire road lined with no-parking signs that marked the south cg boundary , below where I camped.  When he started to set up camp, I yelled down to him "that I thought he could not camp there.", he yelled back "go tell it to his mother". I just walked back behind my camper and read for a while and when it got dark went inside.  That night, he entertained us with this outside speakers  with original and made up parrot and other animal sounds such as "ribbit, ribbit!!! 

I left for Susanville in the morning and drove  through one of the worst thunder and lightning storms that I ever drove through .Windy and rainy in Susanville, and  still smoky!  That night the storm started several new fires  in the Diamond Mountain Range to the south of town. By the next day the fire had made a run down the slope  and evacuations were soon underway south of town along Gold Run Way .and the smoke was thick both here and in Reno.   Local fire resources,  including a local timber company, put up fire breaks that held up the fire for a while and as happened last  month, more fire crews pored into town--- and we got the next to last uncommitted Class 1 fire Mgt overhead team in the great state of California yesterday( things are getting interesting again).  Time to head to the store to load up on supplies and beer.  

We are not the only ones having problems, with all the surrounding counties having  lot's of fires and with fire resources really pushed to their limits---and  with above ave, temps in the 90's /100's and Red Flag weather warnings and high winds projected for the rest of this week, more fun days ahead.. Hey and this is only here in NE Calif/NW Nevada. When you throw in what's going on in the rest of Calif, and the rest of the west-not to mention  Covid-19, yes, this has  an interesting summer. so far.  I can hardly wait for Fall to start B)!   PS: As I was finishing this up, my phone  just rang-it was Sheriffs automated emergency service saying mandatory evacuation required  for more of the Gold Run area-fire is still a few miles out from here, but one never knows-fire last month made it to the 5 mile mark before they got a line around it. Still plenty of time to watch the last episode of "Alone" tonight!  Until next time!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 20 August 2020 - 10:21 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#60 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,307 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 10:21 PM

I am going to wait for the movie of 2020.Should be a good one.

You just can't write this stuff up,not even the best SiFi people.

Stay safe.We may get some wind break to blow the smoke away soon.

For us smoke the issue not flames.

Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users