• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 FleetToy

FleetToy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 08:12 PM

Has anyone had a good experience with finding a good Wi-Fi and cell phone extender?

#2 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 01:08 AM

Have used a WebBoost for years. Often one bar will go to three. We just use the small, magnetic external antenna.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,986 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 June 2020 - 03:42 AM

Has anyone had a good experience with finding a good Wi-Fi and cell phone extender?

+1 on the Weboost.  I have the "Drive" unit and added their OTR antenna.  1 bar will turn in to 5.  I work from my camper using ZOOM for video conferencing and it works well.

#4 Gentle on my world

Gentle on my world

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationTeddy's Place

Posted 12 June 2020 - 03:30 PM

I'm pretty much technologically inept. 

Will Musk's efforts to populate the earth's low orbit with internet satellites end up reducing the need for such devices? 

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 June 2020 - 03:53 PM

Space X is deploying something called Starlink.   It is supposed to enter a public Beta later this year.   Initially anyway it will be focused on fixed ground stations, not mobile use, but mobile use could happen in the future.    This is a little more complex than a satellite phone system like Iridium, you will need a ~50cm diameter antenna that can track the satellites.   The upside is you get broadband speed (50Mb +) and the expected price point will be way less than other satellite options.  

Professionally I am very excited about this as we use satellite comms a lot in remote areas, and Iridium leaves a lot to be desired.   We will see if this becomes viable for personal use.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:51 AM

We have been using a WeBoost cellular booster on our trip across North America this summer and have been very happy with the results.

It will not create a signal out of thin air but if there is one it will make it usable.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#7 earbuzz

earbuzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:55 AM

Can you all please tell me which model exactly of the weboost you got? 

Thanks,

Evan

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:58 AM

I'm using the Drive-X RV.   

https://www.weboost....ucts/drive-x-rv

Seriously looking to upgrade to a much more expensive and capable unit next camping season!

#9 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:50 PM

Seriously looking to upgrade to a much more expensive and capable unit next camping season!

What? and Why?  Inquiring minds want to know  :P

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 12:53 AM

Well.... The Weboost (and other such devices) all work great for boosting the signal to your cell phone.  The way mine works, I park the camper, hoist the antenna, and if I have even 1 bar I can get 4-5 bars of signal... when I place my cell phone right onto the internal antenna.  I then use my phone as a hot spot and can make my zoom calls, get email, etc.

If I want to hold my phone in my hand, the signal boost almost disappears and it really doesn't do anything when sitting around the campfire a few feet away.  Plus some cell companies really don't like me using my phone as a hotspot and can/will throttle down my signal.

With a more $$$ system, you can receive cell signals via one or more antennas, and then transmit a strong wifi signal that is usable all around your campsite.

I'm thinking of something like this - https://www.mobilemu...ndle_p_168.html

Vic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users