Hello and questions from a newbie

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:31 PM

I think if you were going to make a truck camper work for your family, and wanted to be 100% sure of being within the safe limits of your vehicle while still being able to bring enough stuff/supplies to have fun, you would probably want to at least have a 3/4 ton truck, if not a 1 ton. You could keep a running tally of the weight of everything in your truck and do this, but you will probably find that your Toyota's payload rating would severely cramp your fun, or cause you to take risks with your family's safety. I wouldn't rule out getting a truck camper for your family, as I could easily see kids not minding setting up their tent and sleeping in it. Kids should be doing that anyway, it builds character. But you would probably need a bigger truck.

That being said, most people who use a lighter truck for their camper install a swaybar and rear air bags. These items don't increase the legal payload rating of your truck; that number is set when the truck is born. They do increase the amount of weight your truck can carry logically, but not legally. Some state troopers/highway patrol/provincial police do carry portable scale units for investigating issues like accidents and illegal hauling. My wife and I went this route when we first got our camper and were putting it on a 1/2 ton truck. I also installed bigger brakes. But we still had a scary incident of brake fade while going down a long incline in the sierras. Over time, I imagine an overloaded 1/2 ton will start to wear out more than it should too.

Like others said, the mounting system and ability to be in the camper while it is off of the truck are completely dependent on the camper.

#12 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:47 AM

I agree with the consensus that 4 people would be a bit too much in a camper.

Last year our oldest son (31) asked us to take him and his wife to the Rocky Mountains. We ended up towing an overland trailer with a roof top tent on it which was their “bedroom”l It also allowed us to carry more gear and worked out well. Here are a couple of pictures...

Attached Thumbnails

• 96BF6255-F092-4D94-AAB9-709D43DD1B38.jpeg
  • 845FD0C0-0927-43ED-85D5-91E5DFB587FE.jpeg

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#13 Yama-Bro

Yama-Bro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 04:17 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I definitely understand your points, but I've wanted one of these for so long that I think I'm going to give it a try despite your words of wisdom. I mean no disrespect by that. The camper might not work for every occasion/combination of family members, but if there are only two or three of us, it may be perfect. Worst case we can haul extra stuff in a trailer, or even haul the camper on a trailer. I guess that's one good thing about the slide ins, there are a lot of options to get the job done. I think I'll try to locate an older/less expensive model, just to get my feet wet. I'm on the lookout for a Sun-lite Sky Hawk SB or Eagle SB. If it doesn't workout, I'm not out a lot of money.

#14 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:07 PM

I think that if you keep those limitations in mind and a way you can work with it you should have a great time.

Hope you can find a good match camper for your needs.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#15 WillTheThri11

WillTheThri11

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:18 PM

be very careful with the older cheaper wooden ones, you very likely will be buying a project.  The FWC and ATC retain their value and will be easier to resell for a similar price and you won't have to feel bad about selling something that turned out to be junk.  You'll pay a little more upfront but it'll be lighter too.  Every backpacking trip I've ever taken I've thought, ya in this moment I would've paid the $x more for something a few ounces.  The same goes for truck camping, it's just in nerves for your truck rather than the physical weight on your shoulders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users