#1 Toddhom

Toddhom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:19 PM

I have an old Eagle that has the window "flaps" on the outside.  The velcro has worn out and the flaps no longer stay up.  It looks like a pain to replace the velcro.  Does anyone have experience with this that can give me advice. 

Todd Homchick

#2 Mark G

Mark G

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMeadow Vista, CA

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:47 AM

I cut the flaps off my Eagle when I saw that FWC wasn't putting them on anymore.  Hasn't been a problem.

#3 Toddhom

Toddhom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:28 PM

Mark G

Ive thought about that. Water doesn’t come in when it rains?

#4 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:32 PM

I have an old Eagle that has the window "flaps" on the outside.  The velcro has worn out and the flaps no longer stay up.  It looks like a pain to replace the velcro.  Does anyone have experience with this that can give me advice. 

Todd Homchick

I had the same problem on my 01 Hawk and came up with this:

(Click to enlarge)

HawkWindowShadeVelco.jpg

The one on the left is what I use.  It's just a ten-inch piece of velcro loop material-- the sew-on type.   I normally just put one side on and that has worked well.

I added the one on the right for this photo as the color shows the idea better.  That one is a Velcro One-Wrap cable management tie I had lying around.  I have the flap rolled down a bit for the photo but the idea still works with the flap rolled the whole way up.

Edited by Old Crow, 27 July 2020 - 03:50 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#5 Toddhom

Toddhom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:51 PM

That looks good. I’m thinking of replacing just the 8 short strips at the top. I have one of those stitching awls I’ve used with success before. It would take a while though.

#6 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:15 PM

More on the strip idea-- 

I've been surprised to see how well the little strips of velcro do at preventing the flaps from falling down. And if you want to make them  stronger, just use wider velcro or do both sides.  

HawkWindowFlapsVelcro.jpg

When I'm ready to leave, I just lift the lower side of the strip and roll the flap out from under it and leave the strip stuck there for next time and I've never lost one.  The flap has loop-side velcro so it easily comes out from under the strip's loop-side material.

The only problem I have is my step-stool is just a bit short for the job and if the top of the velcro strip has come off, I have to stretch to re-attach it.  If the step-stool isn't rock-solid, I sometimes opt to not roll the flap all the way up so I don't have to stretch so far.

-------------

On replacing the hook-side velcro-

On my 01, the velcro had an adhesive backing and then was sewn through.  If you remove a section of the old, you can use 3M Adhesive Remover to clean off the old adhesive. However,  you may not want to use adhesive-backed velcro for the replacement.  The adhesive had too low a melting temperature and tended to run out the edges and mar the vinyl.  I had to clean mine and I know others have done the same.  It may be possible to remove or thin the adhesive along the edges of the velcro so this doesn't happen yet you still have some adhesive under the middle of the replacement velcro strip (if yours had adhesive).

If you do choose to replace existing velcro, please let us know how it goes (and take some photos!)

Edited by Old Crow, 27 July 2020 - 08:43 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#7 Toddhom

Toddhom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:15 PM

So maybe just sew a new one over the top of the old?

Edited by Toddhom, 27 July 2020 - 11:47 PM.

#8 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:08 PM

Personally, I'd be reluctant to punch new holes in the vinyl (with the stitching awl) unless there just wasn't any other choice.  I'm sure it can be done but I'd want to figure out how I'm going to seal those holes before proceeding.

#9 Toddhom

Toddhom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:03 PM

Old Crow

One thing I don’t understand about your solution. You’ve attached new Velcro to old Velcro. My problem is that nothing will attach to the old Velcro. Did you sew the new to the old?

Edited by Toddhom, 28 July 2020 - 04:04 PM.

#10 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:32 PM

Yes, it is indeed new-to-old and that works for me. 

If your old hook-side velcro has deteriorated so much that a new loop-side strip won't hold to the hook-side at all,  the strip idea won't work for you.   I'd just encourage you be sure that is indeed the case (if you've not already done that) as it's a very easy thing to test.  I originally thought I'd have to replace mine and then was surprised to see how well the new strips stuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users