22 replies to this topic

#11 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:00 AM

We have a Camp Chef Everest 2 burner stove that comes with a long enough hose to hook up to the 10 lb tank that we are not currently using on our Hawk. We place the stove on a folding table we got at REI so everthing is very convenient.

Here is a link to the stove: https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have fun with your new camper!

Started doing exactly this last year and quit using my Coleman with white gas, more economical, convenient and takes up less room. As a side note blue ridge overland makes a nice case for the stove to travel in.

#12 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:42 AM

Same thing as others have said. Unless they changed it, your Hawk will come with 2 ten pound bottles. There is only one connection for the camper appliances. The second tank is for swapping in when your first tank is empty. We have the Everest stove as well, but I think we had to but the hose; it only came with the little brass arm for running it off of 1 pound tanks. It was easy enough to find a hose that goes directly between the stove and the propane bottle. The hose even fits inside of the stove, coiled around both burners. You could get complicated and plumb a gas connection from your camper regulator to the outside to make things slick, but then you are tied to the camper. To keep things simple, just take the second tank out, which is easy, and set it out where you have your stove or propane firepit and enjoy.

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:48 AM

What year was it they switched to the two bottle system?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:27 PM

Same thing as others have said. Unless they changed it, your Hawk will come with 2 ten pound bottles. There is only one connection for the camper appliances. The second tank is for swapping in when your first tank is empty. We have the Everest stove as well, but I think we had to but the hose; it only came with the little brass arm for running it off of 1 pound tanks. It was easy enough to find a hose that goes directly between the stove and the propane bottle. The hose even fits inside of the stove, coiled around both burners. You could get complicated and plumb a gas connection from your camper regulator to the outside to make things slick, but then you are tied to the camper. To keep things simple, just take the second tank out, which is easy, and set it out where you have your stove or propane firepit and enjoy.

Thanks for the reminder, we did buy the hose seperately, but it works great.

https://www.amazon.c...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

And as you say, it fits nicely into the stove, and we got a carry bag similar to what craig mentioned.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#15 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 02 August 2020 - 11:35 PM

Our old camper that I set up to work with the Magna bbq. Note the ACME propane fitting in the rear wall of the camper. I tapped in ahead of the camper's pressure regulator. On the inside there is a fuel gas rated ball valve to turn off the fitting when not in use.

i-CZpp2g6-L.jpg

Thom

Where does that road go?

#16 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:19 PM

One thing to consider.  Do you want to cook that close to your camper?  We like to cook near where we eat. We bought a small 1lb tank but we have to carry it and it's just another thing to carry.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#17 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 03 August 2020 - 01:31 PM

https://www.homedepo...5EaAgn4EALw_wcB

I use one of these with an extra hose to hook up outside cooking station.. comes in handy because inside stove doesn't quite have the output of the outdoor stove and takes forever to boil water for coffee.. we have found that sometimes its nice to have more than 2 burners as well when making a meal...

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#18 UmkaAndHawk

UmkaAndHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:19 PM

On this 2020 Hawk Shell with furnace, there are 2 10 lbs tanks. This trip we tried a five foot hose to "throw-away" connector (the same as this Eureka stove accepts) and I took the tank out and put it back for every meal--it was surprisingly reasonable.

Only note: I was glad we went with the shorter hose. There's enough pressure in the hose alone that I have about 30 seconds to a minute of full blast on the stove propane left in there when I turn off the valve on the tank. I try to time cooking to use that extra propane instead of venting (hey, it's a greenhouse gas!) and that inconvenience would be even worse with a 12 foot line! 

Look at the pic, this is plenty.

IMG_2481.jpg

#19 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:33 PM

We have a Camp Chef Explorer stove, which has legs.  I place one of the 10-pound propane tanks under the stove and use a regulator with a fairly short hose.  Works great.

When staying in an improved campground, I carry a cable and padlock and will lock the stove and tank to the picnic table if we're going to be gone for the day.  Only challenge is that with only one tank in the propane compartment, the tank is not secure.  I'm still trying to come up with some sort of portable spacer to keep the single tank secure.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#20 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:51 PM

We have a Camp Chef Explorer stove, which has legs.  I place one of the 10-pound propane tanks under the stove and use a regulator with a fairly short hose.  Works great.

When staying in an improved campground, I carry a cable and padlock and will lock the stove and tank to the picnic table if we're going to be gone for the day.  Only challenge is that with only one tank in the propane compartment, the tank is not secure.  I'm still trying to come up with some sort of portable spacer to keep the single tank secure.

Why don't you make a mini cargo bar to secure the single propane tank? Assuming that the propane cabinet walls are solid, cut a piece of threaded Ready Rod just shy in length of the width of the propane cabinet. Then it is just a large nut threaded on each end of the Ready Rod, placed beside the tank and then tightened against the cabinet wall.

Edited by DanoT, 04 August 2020 - 11:54 PM.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users