#1 Abbiennormal

Abbiennormal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:21 PM

Hello FWC!

Newbie here. I picked up 4 used corner jacks and wanted to install them on a 1986 Grandby. The camper does not have any jack fittings right now.

The corners are completely sealed with the protective molding. My question is, should I cut the out molding before installing the brackets or can I mount them on top of the molding (see pics). I am concern about keeping it water tight. Even thought the camper is from 1986 it is in mint condition and completely water tight right now.  I did look at the Brophy jacks but 4 of them would cost me over $1000 (don't trust myself to use two jacks only)  when the four used corner jacks came in under $200. On a tight budget so I decided to go with the corner jacks instead. Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated!

Abbie

Attached Thumbnails

• Rear passenger corner.jpg
  • Front passenger corner.jpg

1985 Grandby

1985 Ford F150 4x4

2017 Toyota Tundra 4x4

I'm just a Gen Xer with new knees so now I feel unstoppable.

#2 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:29 PM

I would cut the trim off to install the brackets.  If you clean all surfaces and bed the brackets, caulk the screw holes(new holes and any screws removed for cutting the trim) there is no reason you should have any leaks. Use a quality polyurethane caulk, I like 3m 4200 or 5200. Be sure to use appropriate size screws.

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:30 PM

It isn't that easy. I don't believe your camper was set-up to have jack's installed. Today's FWC have a combination of aluminum and wood installed in the corners.

You should contact FWC to get proper guidance.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 Abbiennormal

Abbiennormal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:28 AM

Thanks Longhorn. That was my concern that it would not be braced properly for the brackets. Hmmm, going to have to sit and think about how to do this without damaging the camper and breaking my bank.

1985 Grandby

1985 Ford F150 4x4

2017 Toyota Tundra 4x4

#5 Abbiennormal

Abbiennormal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:36 AM

I would cut the trim off to install the brackets.  If you clean all surfaces and bed the brackets, caulk the screw holes(new holes and any screws removed for cutting the trim) there is no reason you should have any leaks. Use a quality polyurethane caulk, I like 3m 4200 or 5200. Be sure to use appropriate size screws.

I am hesitant on cutting the trim since it is all water tight now. Would I be tempting the FWC Gods? Going to see if I can rig up a lifting system using the Atwood jacks and a few 2x6 boards I have lying around. I have the original sale ticket from FWC and it listed the dry weight at only 845 lbs. I have since removed the 3 way Dometic fridge and Suburban heater. Benches have also been removed so guessing that the weight went down by 75 to 100 lbs.

1985 Grandby

1985 Ford F150 4x4

2017 Toyota Tundra 4x4

#6 CoreyTrevor

CoreyTrevor

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra

Posted 11 August 2020 - 04:16 AM

Just FYI, I've seen at least a few posts where the FWC claimed weight was quite a bit optimistic (on the low side), once the camper was actually weighed.

I'm curious what your 2x6 idea is. 

Be careful, don't let FWC land on you!   :eek:

2012 Eagle Shell on 2006 Dodge Quadcab CTD 4wd 6-speed

#7 SCUD

SCUD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOregon City, Oregon

Posted 01 September 2020 - 06:15 PM

Your camper probably originally used cable jacks.  

2020 Hawk, rollover couch

2018 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT Z71, 6.0 liter Crew Cab 4WD, 6'-6" bed

Summer tires = Goodyear Wrangler SR-A LT265/60R20 121/118SE     

Winter/off-road tires = General Grabber ATX LT265/70R18 124S E1 

TorkLift StableLoads, Timbrens, no air bags

#8 SCUD

SCUD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOregon City, Oregon

Posted 01 September 2020 - 06:44 PM

https://www.wanderth...or-cable-jacks/

2020 Hawk, rollover couch

2018 GMC Sierra 2500 SLT Z71, 6.0 liter Crew Cab 4WD, 6'-6" bed

Summer tires = Goodyear Wrangler SR-A LT265/60R20 121/118SE     

Winter/off-road tires = General Grabber ATX LT265/70R18 124S E1 

TorkLift StableLoads, Timbrens, no air bags

#9 1980Keystone

1980Keystone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:52 PM

AbbieNormal, please post what you decide to do. I have a 1980 Keystone and have the same issue as you. Not sure the vertical bars on the corners can have braces and support all the loaded force from the jacks. I have two Brophy cable jacks and it is just too hard to get the camper off by myself, not to mention do anything with the camper once it is off.

#10 Abbiennormal

Abbiennormal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:28 PM

AbbieNormal, please post what you decide to do. I have a 1980 Keystone and have the same issue as you. Not sure the vertical bars on the corners can have braces and support all the loaded force from the jacks. I have two Brophy cable jacks and it is just too hard to get the camper off by myself, not to mention do anything with the camper once it is off.

I have decided to mount the corner jacks on 2x6 and use that to leverage the camper off the truck. Haven't actually done it yet since I have to unbolt the camper from the truck bed. Back in the 80s they did not use the tie down method, at least not for this installation, they bolted it directly to the bed of the truck. I have located the bolts but have not had time to pull it off the truck yet since I wanted to make a base to rest it on so that it would not sit on the ground and get wet. My garage is too full to store it in there and I wanted to do a complete redo of the interior and electrical before I put it on hopefully a tundra with a long bed. When I do, I will post the results. 

1985 Grandby

1985 Ford F150 4x4

2017 Toyota Tundra 4x4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users