Emergency Kit

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 07:03 PM

I was wondering what you typically carry in your emergency kits. This can be a deep rabbit hole to prepare for every possibility. We have a good first aid kit. I bought a good 12V compressor (Viair 450) and a patch kit (safety seal Cap30) even though we have a full size spair in good shape. 

We'll have good USFS maps for any place we go that's out of cell range and are both fit enough to walk 10+ miles if we had to. 

I started wondering about communication for being out of cell range, a special jack, etc. I'm just not sure where to draw the line. 

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

#2 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:04 PM

I carry some medical supplies, a couple of simple tools and a backpack large enough to carry water and necessities if I have to walk. I haven't a clue how to work on an internal combustion engine but I can change a tire. If I got a second flat I'd be walking. 

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 August 2020 - 10:40 PM

Plenty of tools, trauma kit, food and water but if shtf its time to break out the Inreach.  https://buy.garmin.c...-US/US/p/561269 (i have an older version).

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 12:00 AM

Plenty of tools, trauma kit, food and water but if shtf its time to break out the Inreach.  https://buy.garmin.c...-US/US/p/561269 (i have an older version).

That partly what I'm wondering about. I reviewed all the sat based options back in the day when my son was skiing in avy prone territory and I worried about him. The problem back then with sat based stuff wasn't super reliable. If you wanted the ultimate in reliability you needed an ACR. It's one way, emergency only and the Calvary comes. It has to be hitting the fan hard enough that you want SNR to show up. It is pretty bulletproof though. Conflicted.  

#5 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:44 AM

Really, it is the garden variety mishaps that will occur most often. Burns, cuts, bruises, sprains, twists, dysentery, colds, flue, headaches, broken tie downs, flats, stuck in sand or mud, fan belts, hoses, brakes, not enough water, not enough propane, too hot, too many bugs, no way to light your stove or fire, dead batteries, tears, drips, leaks, etc. Many folks are pointing out the need for worldwide emergency services, and when you need it you REALLY need it. But that is not common. It is good to consider what to do in an extreme event but when you do, don't overlook all the not quite extreme or just darn inconvenient things that can happen, and are much more likely to happen.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#6 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 01:58 AM

Really, it is the garden variety mishaps that will occur most often. Burns, cuts, bruises, sprains, twists, dysentery, colds, flue, headaches, broken tie downs, flats, stuck in sand or mud, fan belts, hoses, brakes, not enough water, not enough propane, too hot, too many bugs, no way to light your stove or fire, dead batteries, tears, drips, leaks, etc. Many folks are pointing out the need for worldwide emergency services, and when you need it you REALLY need it. But that is not common. It is good to consider what to do in an extreme event but when you do, don't overlook all the not quite extreme or just darn inconvenient things that can happen, and are much more likely to happen.

Got the medical stuff covered. I've got tires covered. I've self adhering tape that'll seal a hose as long as it only rips a little. 

Any other specific supplies you'd recommend? 

Stuck in the mud makes me wonder if a winch (rather not), traction boards, etc. 

Emergency belt? I guess I need to hit the Google. 

Bugs? Solve that and you'd be my wife's hero!

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 August 2020 - 02:00 AM

Good points, the garden variety  stuff is more likely to happen. What I like about the inreach is its two way communication. If I break a leg I can them know that and let them decide if a helicopter is necessary or ground transport will work. Or even worse. We had a landslide, multiple people injured trapped. One helicopter won't be enough. Unlikely but with an ACR all they know is you need help, not what kind.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 August 2020 - 03:22 AM

Any other specific supplies you'd recommend? 

Stuck in the mud makes me wonder if a winch (rather not), traction boards, etc. 

Emergency belt? I guess I need to hit the Google. 

Bugs? Solve that and you'd be my wife's hero!

Mud - shovel, and something like these https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Emergency tow rope, something like this https://www.amazon.c...4614610514&th=1

Bugs - something like this https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and insect repellant

The list goes on and on...

Edited by AWG_Pics, 20 August 2020 - 03:24 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#9 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 20 August 2020 - 12:52 PM

Spare oil

Road Flares (6+ within easy reach)

Headlamp & flashlight

I think one of the most under rated tool sets to have is a pass through socket set. Regular, deep and shallow socket all in one. https://www.napaonli...hanics tool set

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#10 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 August 2020 - 02:22 PM

The In Reach is great as it works just as well as an ACR for the true emergencies, but also works for the inconveniences - need a CV joint delivery, need spare fuel, gonna be a few days late but don't call the cavalry.   The key thing is to have a reliable person who you can send those non-emergency messages to who will act appropriately.   

We also use the tracking feature on our inReach (both for hiking and driving).   This is fun as we now have a map of all our adventures, but we also have the assurance that if we ever had a truly cataclysmic event where we can't even push the SOS button, there is a record of where we were within the last 10 minutes, so they at least know where to find our bodies.  

As for other items, a first aid kit is essential, but the training on how to use it is equally important.   As AWG points out, the little stuff happens much more often than the big stuff, so either plan on restocking the first aid kit regularly or keep a second medicine kit that has the stuff you actually plan on using such as ibuprofen/bandaids/blister stuff.   

Traction boards are probably the best 'unstuck' option, they are lighter and cheaper than a winch, and still work when there isn't a convenient tree (much of the time in the west). 

Tools and spares are tricky as if you want to carry enough for every situation, it gets heavy quickly.   I carry enough tools for the minor issues - a Robertson screw driver to tighten screws in the FWC a set of sockets in the JIS sizes only for the truck, a multimeter and a few electrical tools for a frayed/broken wire, but not a huge kit for major repairs, as I wouldn't have the parts anyway.   A compressor and tire plug kit is also great - you will likely use the compressor to air down and for airbags anyway. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users