• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 28 August 2020 - 06:45 PM

I have a 2018 F150 HDP. I purchased the OEM skid (3) plate package .. which includes front differential, partial transfer case (lower hanging unit), 36gal fuel tank. Of the 3, the transfer unit plate, does not need replacing. I may replace the front plate (is thin) & add a transmission plate. Undecided on the gas tank, it’s a thick plastic plate. Also, trying to decide between aluminum & steel. One is lighter & will flex, (which sometimes can be a good thing), but will exhibit compromise. The other one is heavier & will less likely be compromised. It is rigid. In specific instances that can be a fault. I was thinking of doing the front plate in steel & the transmission in alum to save weight. The alum is more expensive, but not horribly. It can add up after multiple plates. I am looking at RCI, they are 1/4”, most other’s are 1/8”. I think I can install myself. I already have the OEM hangars for the gas tank plate, so could do that too.
Note: I am usually not too much rougher than moderate. My previous life, not really either. (only past minor issues) But, with my wife along these days in retirement, issues now seem attracted to me. Recommends?
https://rcimetalwork...50-skid-plates/

Edited by Stokeme, 29 August 2020 - 05:30 PM.

#2 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 29 August 2020 - 01:58 AM

The F-150 skid plates can take a mild to moderate beating. I have tested them on my work truck. The front plate is definitely not the strongest but the only thing I really wish I had rock sliders. Never had an issue with damaging the gas tank however I have seen some rub marks on the bottom.

I have been looking at RCI for my Tacoma. I am shying away from the steel skids because of the weight. Not just for fuel economy but for my own sake when I have to take them off to work on the truck. I am not afraid to take my truck places but don't plan on any hard core wheeling and repetitive hard strikes. BUT I do need protection for when I misjudge something.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#3 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 29 August 2020 - 03:44 AM

Hey, thanks. Some good, practical thoughts on what seems like similar usage profile.
The RCI front plate is much thicker & more encompassing. Aluminum gets another vote.

Edited by Stokeme, 29 August 2020 - 05:32 PM.

#4 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:02 PM

I have no personal experience but have a friend who just installed steel and aluminum plates on his 2 Jeeps. The first install was steel and was a PITA to install because of the weight. The second Jeep got aluminum which was easier to install but had a tendency to grab the rocks instead of slide. If you don't plan on doing anything hardcore and won't be using the skid plates much I would go with aluminum.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users