New battery question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shear

shear

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:43 PM

Hopefully this isn’t a super redundant question but we’re in a pinch so wanted to ask some specifics.

Made the mistake of not doing anything with our battery during the 16mo we haven’t used the camper. Just set off on a week trip and it’s dead and won’t charge.

Can I buy a regular deep cycle car battery? Or is there a special kind i need to buy. Can one buy these at a Napa/Autozone/etc?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, just never dealt with the battery issue before.

Thanks

#2 shear

shear

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:46 PM

And I guess my other question is: can this one be recharged ?

#3 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:27 PM

The short answer why the old battery will not hold a charge..most likely sulfide crystallization on the plates.

A deep discharge battery (I wouldn't recommend a crank or dual purpose marine battery) of the same group size should work fine.  I would stick to the same group size to ensure it fits into the space.  If you have the option on your controller, be sure to select/enable the correct battery type.

Edited by Advmoto18, 13 October 2020 - 01:28 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#4 shear

shear

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 01:32 PM

Well it’s a 2018 Battery. We bought our fleet new and only used it last summer. With covid we didn’t travel this summer and so it has sat since last July (I imagine just pulling charge the whole time?)

So since it’s only 2 years old I’m curious if it can be charged or if I’m better off buying a new one (and can I get that at an autozon).

#5 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:41 PM

How are you trying to charge the battery? If you have the SurePower isolator, the voltage drop to the dead battery may be too much to enable charging from your truck. A dead battery can look like a short to many battery chargers and they won't charge. Shore power, if you have not tried it, may work but I don't know how the Iota behaves with a dead battery. You can try pulling the battery out and jumping it with your truck battery. Heavy duty battery cables and the truck alternator should be able to handle the current.

However, running a lead acid battery into the ground positively takes a big toll on battery life so you may just want to bite the bullet and go for a new battery. Avoid "marine" batteries and get only "deep cycle, AGM". I don't think AutoZone has what you need, but it looks like you can order one through Walmart. They have Universal Battery batteries which I have used in the past.

There's a lot of discussion on the site on battery choices

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#6 makalutoo

makalutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 04:06 PM

I would contact the battery manufacture, or FWC, and see if it will be covered under warranty.  I'm not sure what the battery warranty covers but I have had auto batteries replaced at NAPA before when they have failed to hold a charge.  

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:03 PM

Before making a decision, check the camper main power switch. If it is off, the Iota won’t charge the battery.  
Secondly, put a smart charger like a Noco Genius smart charger on the battery and leave it on overnight or until it indicates a failure. 

I have had my G15000 recover a dead AGM that I thought was toast. The battery was on my ham gear during a week long outage after a storm and my other charger couldn’t bring it around. The Noco took 2 days but did revive the battery.

Good luck.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 shear

shear

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:00 PM

So if I have the power off my battery won’t charge while driving? I never knew that.

Took it to an autozone and even after charging it still didn’t test as charged. Had to buy a new one and learn a hefty lesson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users