9 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:36 PM

I see a couple of the Honda generators produce about 16-18 amps; is that sufficient as an external power source to plug into a Hawk with electric frig and heater; plus other power draws [water pump/lights]?  Never really thought about min and max amperage range for the Hawk.

Thanks..Phil

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 03 November 2020 - 08:53 PM

Don't confuse DC amps requirements with generator AC amps produced.

If you look at the power requirements of the Iota converter, you will find that it consumes under 1000 AC watts max. Unless you have AC appliances like space heaters, electric frypans, hair dryers, A/C,  etc. while also charging your very rundown batteries, a Honda 2000/2200 will not be seriously challenged. 

For simultaneous heat, run the propane furnace instead. Once the batteries are charged, you have only the appliance power consumption which is fairly low. 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 03 November 2020 - 09:13 PM

Honda 2200 has been a great back-up for us. I use it for 2-4 hours as a boost. On our last trip I would run it from 8 to 8 to power our National Luna Fridge which is in the truck then switch the fridge over to our Goal Zero 400 Lithium over night. If we are driving I would power the fridge in the truck 12-volt. When we get to camp we start the generator, plug the fridge into a cord through the turnbuckle door and plug the camper into generator. So many options. If we have shore power we plugged the fridge into the 120 on the shore power post. We now have 200W solar on the roof. The Honda 2200 has an energy mode and it works with the camper plugged into the generator and the fridge plugged in. The Goal Zero would have 85-92% left.

We were off grid most of our month in Colorado and basically had 3-4 weeks of food, with stops for ice, beer, fruit, and vegetables. The Honda, fridge, and the solar upgrade have been a game changer.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:20 PM

Appreciate all this!

Paul and Longhorn thanks...

What is the difference between DC and AC amperage you mentioned?  Can't understand, the Iota "consumers under 1000 watts max" ; consumes how?  My ignorance.

No AC appliances other than a very small electric heater "cube" with a fan and thermostat.... if we have external power.

What is the approximate max amperage draw for a kitted out Hawk ['110' electric fridge, led outside/inside lights, heater fan, 2 fantastic vent fans, water pump] when connected to a generator or 'shore power'?

Thanks again,

Phil

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 04 November 2020 - 05:41 AM

Hey Phil!  Max draw on the DC side (battery power) is about:

1) Fridge - 5A

2) Lights - LED - 2A

3) Heater fan - 2A

4) 2 Fantastic Fans - 6A

5) Water pump - 3A

Concurrent draw = 18A    That's 13v*18A = 234Watts.   Now convert that to shore power =234W/110v = 2Amps.  

The comment about the Iota consuming 1000W means that when it is trying to put out its max power of 13v*30ADC = 390W it is using 1000W,  or about 9A at 110V.  That doesn't sound quite right to me... I can see 80% efficiency, but only getting 390W with 1000W is only half of that.  

I hope that helps.

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 04 November 2020 - 07:27 AM

The Iota does not need 1000 watts steady state. Vic’s 390 watts is closer. However, there is a higher inrush current that shore power handles without difficulty but could tax a 1000 watt generator if large A/C devices were running at the same time. Picture a space heater running and dead batteries when genset started.  Perhaps, unlikely scenario but calculation I went through on my system.  :)

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 04 November 2020 - 04:10 PM

Paul/Vic,

OK I see the larger picture now...and appreciate the explanations...my friend in Ellensburg is going to loan me a Honda 2200 generator for my trip...that way I can see if I really need one...I operate on the "improvise, adapt and overcome" problem solving mode, so even without shore power or a generator I will make out...old dog, perhaps new tricks  B)

Again...thanks for the education!

Phil

#8 UmkaAndHawk

UmkaAndHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 November 2020 - 12:46 AM

Longhorn1 et al., if you have a generator, where do you store it (and fuel) when driving?

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 09 November 2020 - 01:03 AM

I plan to use my MSR type metal fuel bottles [with o-ring sealed screw on caps] that I carry on my dirt bike...bullet proof and don't leak...with a funnel I refill at gas stops...

Currently if I borrow my buddies 2200 Honda, it will slide into the Hawk and be removed when I park.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 09 November 2020 - 01:04 AM.

#10 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 02 December 2020 - 01:28 PM

I have a Hawk with that has about everything except no fantastic fans and no heater. I use a small electric heater. The heater has a thermostat. I have a setting that I set it at that will keep it nice over night. The 2000i generator will run everything except the heater easily on idle. When the heater kicks in the echo throttle will speed up and run the heater until the thermostat shuts the heater off. Then the generator goes back to idle.  On late season hunting trips I run the generator over night to supply heat. I run it a little during the day but mostly over night. The set up I have will run about 3 days give or take due to weather. My generator has a ton of hours on it but runs great. This is my extended run set up and the link to the heater I use. 

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5ejRd2q.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users