Photo

What Should I do with my Electrical System?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:25 PM

OK, strange question here.  I read all the threads about changing various components of the FWC electrical system, and as a DIY guy I want to do something, anything.  But do I really need to?

Here's my situation: 2014 FWC Hawk with a three-way fridge, one battery, no solar.  Original battery as installed by FWC in 2014.

I tend to move every day when camping so the battery stays almost fully charged.  Have never had the battery show less than 2/3 charge based on the stock FWC battery monitor.  Never had issues with insufficient electrical power to meet my needs.

I'm kind of leaning toward the "if it ain't broke don't mess with it" approach, but I'm also intrigued by the various upgrades I read about here.

All advice is welcome!

Edited by PJorgen, 29 November 2020 - 08:26 PM.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#2 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 29 November 2020 - 08:42 PM

OK, strange question here.  I read all the threads about changing various components of the FWC electrical system, and as a DIY guy I want to do something, anything.  But do I really need to?

I'm kind of leaning toward the "if it ain't broke don't mess with it" approach, but I'm also intrigued by the various upgrades I read about here.

All advice is welcome!

If it has been working fine for this long, keep going.  Use your money for trips and gas and such.  Some day you will be replacing the battery... would be a time to look into and consider Lithium system.  Or just replace the battery with similar and go on for many years to come using the money you did not invest.

Most upgrade system with solar and such as they have a need for it with demanding draw on DC voltage.  If you don't have a need than keep it simple.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:54 AM

I'm in the "How do you know it ain't broke if you ain't measurin' nuthin'?" camp.  You need to measure.  Is your factory gauge the round Overland Solar gauge (decent) or the large panel with lights that also measures the water level?  That thing is a joke.

Also, you WILL get a better charge if you simply install a DC-DC charger near your camper battery.

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:09 PM

I agree with others.  If you aren't seeing any battery drain/degradation keep going.  Once the battery gets to a point where it's not holding a charge as much, upgrade to a LifePO4.  Build it yourself ahead of time and save a lot of money, etc.  I posted a while ago about where I sourced parts, etc. if you search the forum.  

Other than that, I agree with Vic.  A DC-DC charger probably is a good idea and you'll need one for a LifePO4 anyway and it'll save your alternator (depending on what you have).

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 02 December 2020 - 02:32 AM

Here's my situation: 2014 FWC Hawk with a three-way fridge, one battery, no solar.  Original battery as installed by FWC in 2014.

I tend to move every day when camping so the battery stays almost fully charged.  Have never had the battery show less than 2/3 charge based on the stock FWC battery monitor.  Never had issues with insufficient electrical power to meet my needs.

All advice is welcome!

I'm coming from a similar rig.  2015 Hawk with propane fridge, furnace; and, cooktop, so pretty light electrical user.   I did install a 100 watt solar panel with MPPT charge controller.  My factory AGM is a dual purpose deep cycle and I understand the life span can be 4 to 8 years.   I probably should have waited a bit and just replaced the AGM with a true deep cycle however I just purchased a LiFePO4 battery and now I am sure that I will have to modify the system somewhat; like disconnecting the charging circuit from the truck alternator?  I've also just purchased a 600watt pure sine wave inverter which is yet to be installed.  I'll be talking to Battleborn battery tech help line to confirm what if any changes I need to make.

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users