34 replies to this topic

#11 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:34 AM

Like Pat I've been pretty lucky with flats. Stock spare back there but when I get new BFG's I'll put one of the used ones on the spare. I use this compressor and plug kit.

Attached Thumbnails

• puma 12v.JPG
  • plug.JPG

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#12 INYO

INYO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

Had a flat last year while doing some mine exploring. We were in the process of changing out the tire and had, no joke, two people come up the dirt road slow down and ask us for directions to the mine. Not even a "doing okay?"...
Got it changed to the leaky spare (I do carry a small compressor) and limped down into Lone pine. Luckely Napa was open, we bought a plug kit and plugged it on the tailgate.

From then on I carry a plug kit and check the spare before every trip. Not really concerned with matching the spare to the other tires, it may be a risk but I figure thats $250 I could use other places..
08 Tundra DC, Ride Rites, 04 Hawk

#13 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:17 PM

Not really concerned with matching the spare to the other tires, it may be a risk but I figure thats $250 I could use other places..

Recently, I've found my spares rot before I need them.

Unless you're running auto-lockers or really hard core wheelin' I'm not sure how matching tires makes a lick of difference.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#14 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

Scott,
Unless I hear otherwise I'm going with what you said and I'll keep the unused OEM spare. However I'll need your phone # before any trip so you can come rescue me if you're wrong.
Actually I do agree with you. I used the OEM on the T100 coming out of Saline in the snow and it worked fine.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#15 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:53 PM

I carry the ARB tire repair kit and the MV-50 Air Compressor. I also have a similar sized spare. The ARB kit is cheap insurance.

For most of this truck's life I've run BFG AT KO's, a great tire that is good for many different conditions. I only got one flat with the BFG's and it was on the interstate after picking up a nail. A plug from the ARB kit fixed it and we drove 5 hours back home with no issues.

Last Fall, I swapped on a more agressive mud terrain tire (Interco's TrXus MT's) and I can't stand 'em. Going back to BFG's soon.

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#16 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:06 PM

I carry the same size spare, but different tire. I'm not going to plug it myself and even if I tried, it probably wouldn't work. So I figure if I get a flat, change it and then off to a repair shop for either a new tire or a plug. The odds of needing two tires before finding a shop are so low that I don't think twice about it.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#17 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,776 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

I have friends that hunt in remote places in Nevada and there has been times that they did get two flats and had two spares. That was after being stranded with one spare. Travel with people with same rim bolt patteren:D

If the tire plug is done right and with no leaks then it will last the life of the tire. If the hole is big and you have to stuff several plugs in then you have a problem tire.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#18 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:24 PM

there is a company called safety-seal.

http://www.safetyseal.com/

their regular, colored RED, plug kit works best for LT type light truck tires.

no wimpy tools that snap like twigs and leave you with a REAL problem.
no glues that vaporize with age or harden.

no fad stuff...just a very reliable, sensible kit.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#19 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

I've ran BFG AT's exclusively for 20+ years, with thousands of miles off road. I've had two flats in that time, both nails, both in the city.

I run a same size BFG on my spare and carry the MV-50 compressor and also an el cheapo plug kit but never have used it. From others stories I'm beginning to wonder if the plug kit will even work. Might need to invest in a higher quality kit for piece of mind.

As a tip, I bought my spare BFG used for about $40 bucks from the local low budget used tire shop in near brand new condition. If you have patience and check frequently you can nab a decent spare on the cheap.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#20 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:10 PM

Scott,
Unless I hear otherwise I'm going with what you said and I'll keep the unused OEM spare. However I'll need your phone # before any trip so you can come rescue me if you're wrong.
Actually I do agree with you. I used the OEM on the T100 coming out of Saline in the snow and it worked fine.

Jay,

I'm not sweating it -- I'm sure you'll be outside of cell coverage when the bad thing happens.

SB

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users