18 replies to this topic

#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:47 PM

The CFO has authorized a spring trip out West and in looking at what might be available and on our list Big Bend looks like a possibility. We are thinking of April as our general time frame.

‘We like exploring old places and moderate hiking so I am asking the collective hive what they might recommend as far as roads to explore, back country campgrounds to stay as well as hikes.

We might have time to visit the state park as well so suggestions there are appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Edited by smlobx, 17 January 2021 - 02:49 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:57 PM

Check out our trip report from January 2020 for ideas:

https://www.wanderth...tains-and-more/

We paid $4 for a backcountry road guide that really helped us plan our trip. We got ours last minute at a visitor center in the park, you could get one online now to help with your planning.

http://bigbendbookst...products_id=791

#3 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:57 PM

Check out our trip report from January 2020 for ideas:

https://www.wanderth...tains-and-more/

We paid $4 for a backcountry road guide that really helped us plan our trip. We got ours last minute at a visitor center in the park, you could get one online now to help with your planning.

http://bigbendbookst...products_id=791

Sleddog thanks so much for the link to your TR. I read post by post to my wife who highlighted the areas you enjoyed.

we ordered the back country road book as well as a few others.

One question...was there a reason you didn’t traverse the River Road along the Rio Grande? Was it a question of campsite availability?

Thanks.

Eddie
KO4CPL

#4 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 17 January 2021 - 10:24 PM

No particular reason for skipping the River Road other than the 14 day camping limit between January 1 and April 15. We figured we couldn't see everything in one trip so didn't even try, hoping to eventually make it back down to do another 14 days in the National Park plus some time in the State Park.

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,964 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:46 AM

Eddie, let me know what you end up thinking of doing.  I'm planning a trip down there too... but about a year from now to be safe on the Covid front.

#6 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:23 AM

Eddie, let me know what you end up thinking of doing.  I'm planning a trip down there too... but about a year from now to be safe on the Covid front.

Will do Vic. We were planning a trip in June to Newfoundland and Labrador but decided to push it back until August in the hopes the vaccine will have widespread distribution by then and the borders will have opened up so this left a hole in our schedule that we hope to use to go to Big Bend in April..

Eddie
KO4CPL

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:12 PM

+1 on Vic's request. My daughter lives in Schertz Texas and we will be making a few trips a year to see her. Covid was one of the reasons we sold the FWC and when to a Class B. But will still be wandering and want to see Big Bend on one of our trips. All depends on timing. 

Bill

#8 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:51 PM

One favorite memory related to Big Bend.

Many years ago were were crossing west Texas on some or other Interstate (20?) and saw a sign saying Big Bend NP next exit.....Hope said lets go for it ....so I steered off the exit.

The next sign pointed south and read " Big Bend NP, 820 miles."

DG

#9 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:27 PM

^^^

Yikes!

Eddie
KO4CPL

#10 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:38 PM

So I bought that booklet..publishes in 2015 oh well I'm sure nothing changed in 6 years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users