• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 11 June 2021 - 01:11 AM

For some time now I have been researching Coyote and Staun automatic tire deflators and decided the Coyote's were better for my application so I ordered up a set of four with an initial setting of 20 PSI.

+1 on Coyote. Quality, one-engineer shop. Great guy. Ask him what time it is and he'll explain the inner workings of a watch. We talked about washboard roads and occilations and wound up having a twenty minute discussion of Fournier transforms.  Set mine @ 40 psi.

Rich

Edited by ri-f, 11 June 2021 - 01:20 AM.

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#22 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 15 June 2021 - 03:15 PM

Here are the Mopar heavy duty splash guards installed.

gallery_11029_1446_1419249.jpg

gallery_11029_1446_1482226.jpg

Rear

gallery_11029_1446_973273.jpg

Front

gallery_11029_1446_302428.jpg

gallery_11029_1446_817835.jpg

LOOKING GOOD!

Those flares and flaps look like they were OEM.  

After mounting my Hawk for the first time, I found my jacks were 83" apart and the trucks widest point was the tires (stock) at 79".   It looks like adding flares would make clearance a bit tighter, but do-able.

When is your Grandby due?

Edited by Lighthawk, 15 June 2021 - 03:16 PM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#23 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 05:18 AM

Thanks for documenting your build

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#24 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:05 AM

And here is the second upgrade which will be the installation of the OEM projector LED headlights so these tired eyes can see better at night. This also requires a custom wiring harness being built for $175 using all OEM style connectors, wire, etc. and a few changes to the code in the BCM.

gallery_11029_1446_124037.jpg

i am curious how you came to select these lights. since they are "oem" wouldnt the factory or dealer install?

i have a 2015 gmc, and have never liked the headlights. just recently updated to led, but these fit into std headlight connectors.

Oregon

#25 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:40 PM

wow RC - there is a lot going on with those lights !!     i assume the projector leds project more lumens ??

my next question - is you say you are going to put the camper on, and leave it on, and you liked the 8' bed for larger interior - so, why didnt you go ahead and put a flat bed on, and then you would even get more camper sq footage ?

and thx again for sharing your buildout of both truck and camper, and decision trees.

go

Oregon

#26 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:31 AM

Great questions!

Upgrading to the projector LEDs really only cost several hundred more and at my age the additional advantage offered by a slightly better light for just a bit more was worth it. If I opted for the standard LEDs I am pretty sure I would have been happy but considering all of the money I was planning to spend on the truck, camper, etc. a few hundred more was not that bid of a deal.

I think the flatbeds are really nice and might just go for one someday but there are two primary reasons I went with the slide-in:

1) Massive increase in price for slight increase in square footage. The slid-in shell cost me $13k and took a few hours to install. The base flatbed begins at $32k and also requires a flatbed ($10-13k) plus additional labor. Granted the flatbed is decked out but I have different ideas for a layout and equipment. At nearly 2-3 times the price I just did not see that much additional value in the flatbed for my application.

2) As mentioned above - interior layout and FWC equipment choices. It seems most of the equipment is fine for most folks but I was looking to try some different pieces and paying a high price for gear I was simply going to remove just didn't sit well with me.

One of the most valuable features of the flatbed I see happens to be the storage underneath the bed. Then again I have climbed up into a few flatbeds and it just seems much higher and slightly awkward. Entering from the rear seems so much more easier and natural.

Who knows, maybe someday I will go for a flatbed model but right now mine is so spacious compared to my James Baroud rooftop tent on my Jeep I can't imagine the need for much more. And it only cost me $17k installed with a few options.

thx for your answers.  i didnt think the price uptick was that dramatic. sheesh

Oregon

#27 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:41 AM

nice looking rig, camper.

i put an alucab shadow awning on my camper, and am very happy with it.  lots of coverage, and very easy to use, and to put away. and very sturdy

Oregon

#28 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:54 AM

AEV called me today with an early birthday present.

gallery_11029_1446_2317.jpeg

gallery_11029_1446_51073.jpeg

gallery_11029_1446_58217.jpeg

gallery_11029_1446_74221.jpeg

Bad to the bone!

Now, go get it dirty.  :ph34r:

#29 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 08 August 2021 - 09:04 PM

I would really like to learn more about your upgrade to a 270° awning - why you decided on this one, how you mounted it, any changes you might recommend, etc. I have a James Baroud awning on my Jeep and although I use it occasionally it takes some time to deploy, even more to stow, and offers limited coverage. I have been considering the 270s and would love to learn more.

a fellow from central washington, hodakaguy, posts on this site.  has done all sorts of conversions, including a unimog. he recommended, and he put one on his dads pop up. its very hvy duty, and easy to set up.  really only a few mins.  i bought the awning from mule outfitters, as they have a location here in pdx. they also designed mounting brackets.  the thing is not light, so once i got the camper back here, i took it out to their shop and had them install.

if you can find a post here from hodakaguy, i think he has links to his builds, and you can see how he installed on his dads pop up.  very informative fellow, and both he, and his dad have some building skills.

i got lucky on this site, and found a retired electrical engineer who lives within walking distance from me. he volunteered to help design my elec/solar setup, provided a puchase pick list, with links   :) .  i just had to buy all the stuff, and he came over and helped set it all up.  i am a bit clueless on electrical.  so now, i have a temp elec setup so i can power fridge/freezer.  once i build out some shelving/cabinets, will reinstall in better/final spot.

good luck

greg

Oregon

#30 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 14 August 2021 - 12:21 AM

No question its a beautiful rig.

However, living in the Nevada desert as I do, I cringe anytime I see a black vehicle, and yours looks to be triple black. Do you anticipate any issues staying cool in warm weather?

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users