• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 14 August 2021 - 01:04 AM

Thank you and although it is not visible the roof of the Four Wheel Camper is white. The truck is Granite Chrystal Metallic Clear-Coat which is nearly black. I decided to go with black for the camper so it would not appear to be so much larger as compared to the truck.

I did spend time considering going white/white although they grey and black seems to blend into the forest easier plus I do spend much time camping in the winter so it will be interesting if the dark colors absorb some free heat from the sun. All in all I though about it and figured I would give this a try. I guessed if color choice made such a huge difference for the camper then many would be talking about it. The truck...just open the doors and kick on the AC for a few minutes.

I must visit Fallon and Reno though since my father spent time out there many decades ago...

i just bought a new city driver car, and the color name just makes me laugh - soul red crystal metallic .  sheesh, way too much information.   thats a good idea to put white on roof, though solar, and fan take up a lot of the space.

Oregon

#32 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 15 August 2021 - 09:32 PM

yes. i had just the full size truck for about 3 months here in pdx , and decided i needed a 'city driver'. so bought parents 2005 camry.  worked great in and around city. now upgraded to a 2019 small suv. took it to the coast salmon fishing, and it averaged 30 mpg

Oregon

#33 art@lanlogic.com

art@lanlogic.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPleasanton CA

Posted 10 September 2021 - 08:22 PM

Chet:

Fantastic detail on this build. Questions: where is your spare tire mounted and where do you plan to mount the compressor?

Thanks,

Art

#34 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 30 September 2021 - 04:06 PM

Great info, thanks!  I've been searching for a 3500 diesel for a flatbed install but alas, I think I'm going to have to wait for inventory to get better.  I ideally would like a chassis cab but we'll see what happens.  If I could get anywhere near the friends and family price that'd be awesome.  I think you got a great deal in this environment.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#35 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 02 October 2021 - 01:38 PM

You are welcome KM and it sounds like you have a great plan. There are many guys building 5500 chassis cabs on other forums since those seems to be another option. Make sure you start a post and share pics and info.

Will do when the time arrives... I"m wiating for prices to come down, rebates, incentives, etc. and it could take quite a while :-)....

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#36 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 08 October 2021 - 12:43 AM

ok, dumb question - what is the benefit of the white paint on the bolts and parts?  is it to highlight when something is coming loose?

Oregon

#37 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 08 October 2021 - 10:13 AM

ok, dumb question - what is the benefit of the white paint on the bolts and parts?  is it to highlight when something is coming loose?

It is used for visual verification that the bolt is tightened.

Its a very common quality check used in industry.

I try to mark everything I tighten as i build a machine, it saves a lot of problems later.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#38 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 08 October 2021 - 10:02 PM

It is used for visual verification that the bolt is tightened.

Its a very common quality check used in industry.

I try to mark everything I tighten as i build a machine, it saves a lot of problems later.

Thanks !  makes sense

Oregon

#39 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 15 November 2021 - 04:35 PM

Those are some great shots, Chet.  I liked the shot through the grasses and the last one, done in B&W.   

With those muddy conditions you must be loving those mud flaps.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#40 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 November 2021 - 08:17 PM

Chet thanks for posting the great photos.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users