Photo

Questions regarding "So, you want to setup a good electrical system in your camper?"

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#181 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 June 2023 - 06:27 PM

Yes, the 10ga is still energized. I think the possibility of the 6ga becoming de-energized is sufficiently low I'm not worried about it. It'd be very easy to disconnect the 10ga if were concerned.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#182 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 04 June 2023 - 10:32 PM

Sounds like the only reason for the ground wire to the metal frame is to avoid an ungrounded metal structure that could possibly pick up some charge from static electricity etc. I'd leave it grounded with the wire that it has and quit worrying about it.

If you have the charging wire functional in a 7 pin trailer electrical connector those are usually on a relay that gets energized with the IGN circuit, so can use that pin to trigger whatever it is that you need a IGN trigger for. If that is the current means for charging the camper battery then I would disable it and use that wire strictly for the IGN sense wire. Likely should test this before committing.

I bolted the Anderson connector to the bed's interior sidewall. With the camper lifted a couple inches up out of the bed I can reach in over the bed rail and connect or disconnect it depending one which way the camper is going. I was able to snake the 6 ga. cables up thru a series of openings in the bed so I did not need to cut any holes for them. Not all beds are built that way, we got lucky.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#183 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 June 2023 - 04:36 AM

+1 to Thom's comments.  Leave it as is.

#184 ArcherJim

ArcherJim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 June 2023 - 12:20 PM

Many thanks, guys -- really appreciate the discussion.

On with the build.

2022 Ford F-150 HDPP with 2022 ATC Puma Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users