Maxx Air Fan

pods8 said:
Poking in here to see what the word was on fans these days, noted the fantastic-fan reputation when downhill bigtime. Settled on the maxxfan for our trailer, just putting in the 4 speed basic one. I had read the reviews on the circuit boards and was saddened but at the same time the mechanicals of the fan seemed the best. I am putting in 3 of them (and 400W of solar) so probably going to need to sadly look into a voltage regulator (in my case I think I can put one in the main supply line, I think the lights are a separate circuit, need to double check).

Anyway the main point of logging in and commenting: my thought is worst case in the long run if the circuit boards fry is just trash can that and put in a PWM dial instead and have a manual dial to speed up down linearly. (Frankly I am not really fired up about the push buttons in the first place but not going to mess with anything while it works). As long as the motor and crank are working the basic electrical portions can my fairly easily overhauled in the base model.

BTW: if anyone is wonder about the aluminum truck camper build, it'll resume here sooner or later. We moved last summer and between fall freezer filling and such I didn't have a chance to rewire the garage (it had ONE outlet...) I just finished that up with a couple new 20A circuits and a 50A plug for my welder. Also purchased a travel trailer for the more spacious family trips and have been busy getting that all squared away as we have a lot more family trips now with that being a bit more suited to 3 kids! I will still build my truck camper though because I LOVE having a truck camper for my solo and/or 1-2kid excursions. :)
Yes, you should install a voltage regulator to protect the boards on your MaxxAir fans. Eventually, a charging voltage over 13.6v will fry the board. It may not appear to be a problem initially, but over time you might start to see strange behavior at inconvenient times. It's recommended by MaxxAir to install a voltage regulator as well, as they've had numerous failures. They don't say this in their marketing material, but if you call their tech support they will confirm this. If you don't install one you will need to swap out the board when it gets wonky and then you'll be installing both the new board and a regulator. I've got some info about this on my page (see link below). Not what you want to hear, I know...don't shoot the messenger. : )

Rich

ri-f said:
then you'll be installing both the new board and a regulator.
Naw I'd just swap in a PWM control as I mentioned, just like did on your fans. I'd rather the rotary knob but I'm not going to mod the brand new maxxfans off the bat. :)

pods8 said:
Naw I'd just swap in a PWM control as I mentioned, just like did on your fans. I'd rather the rotary knob but I'm not going to mod the brand new maxxfans off the bat. :)
Sure, I get that. I wouldn't want to mess with a new fan either. I did the PWM on my fan because it had no meaningful speed control and terrible efficiency. Now it's a pretty sweet fan with infinite speed control, quiet and very efficient. Too bad MaxxAir doesn't just come with the proper voltage controller built in. Good luck wih it. I hope it gives you no problems.

ri-f said:
Sure, I get that. I wouldn't want to mess with a new fan either. I did the PWM on my fan because it had no meaningful speed control and terrible efficiency. Now it's a pretty sweet fan with infinite speed control, quiet and very efficient. Too bad MaxxAir doesn't just come with the proper voltage controller built in. Good luck wih it. I hope it gives you no problems.
Yeah I remember like a decade back the mod for the fantastic was a switch over to a loop with another resistor to knock down the speed to another set of 3; availability of affordable PWM boards now looks SO much nicer. Frankly I don't get why the fans don't put a PWM dial in off the bat, who wants to keep tapping a button for speeds? Anyways good job!

I haven't written off putting in a regulator either, I just need to make sure if my fans are their own circuit (need to look, I forget) and then find a regulator with something like 20A capacity versus putting in three separate ones. I haven't looked yet, just ordered the fans and still ordering some hardware to mount my panels, etc. ;)

Back
Top Bottom