30 replies to this topic

#1 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts
  • Locationwestern Colorado

Posted 16 March 2021 - 01:47 AM

...so I'm told.

I'm picking up my new Grandby in a few weeks, and my 55 year old bones need a comfy bed. I will be sleeping in it on the drive home, so I want to be prepared with some kind of mattress pad when I pick it up. What have ya'll done for a mattress hack in your FWC?

...which begs another question - why does FWC use such hard foam in their mattresses/cushions?

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 March 2021 - 01:52 AM

Maybe because the mattress is relatively thin, if it was soft the sleeper (unless they were very light) would bottom out -- and feel the board underneath...?

My 2005 mattress never felt hard, so I don't actually know what they are like now...

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 March 2021 - 02:15 AM

We both sleep on the original FWC foam mattresses in our 2019 Hawk. Supplemented with a sheepskin queen size blanket. Sleep well and sometimes long. We are both 67.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#4 astropuppy

astropuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 16 March 2021 - 02:19 AM

camping pads from Costco make for pure luxury and don't cost a lot.

#5 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 16 March 2021 - 05:19 AM

We added a 2” memory foam mattress on top, very comfortable. 

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#6 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:41 AM

We just use our backpacking Thermarest pads on top - the thin ones and that helps with out 8 year old pad

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#7 Dirtroadsavant

Dirtroadsavant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Ohio

Posted 16 March 2021 - 12:55 PM

We’re a couple of 60 year olds who sleep on a deep cushy mattress at home and we’ve never had a complaint about our unmodified original fwc mattress.  

Flatbed Hawk on a Norweld Tray on an F350 Supercab Gas. All 2017.

#8 geologyjohn

geologyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 06:21 PM

2017 Hawk. I use 3” memory foam on top of the 4WC “brick” mattress. I can leave sheets on this set up when I lower the top, but I do not leave the blankets on this bed when I lower the top.

EDIT: I just went out and took another look at my “brick mattress” and 3” memory foam set up. I think 2-1/2 inch memory foam on the factory mattress would be a better option. Less chance of too much mattress, memory foam, and bedding up on the bed tray to push against the campers aluminum top and siding when the top is in the down position.

Edited by geologyjohn, 16 March 2021 - 11:04 PM.

#9 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 16 March 2021 - 09:33 PM

Actually the factory foam has gotten softer since about 2016 . Still back in 2012 when we go our new Eagle

we went to the local reupholstery store and had the foam replaced with foam one can sleep on. 

Ours is 4 inch thick which was stock in 2012. In 2016 FWC switched to softer foam and 3 " thick to allow for bedding to be left on. We had a 3 " in our old "Flip-Pac" and couldn't tell the difference. 

We also cut the mattress down so we can put queen-size fitted sheets over it. The Eagle and Fleet owners sleep front to back as do the King size beds in the Grandby's .

We are both age 77. The camper bed is as comfortable as our bed at home. 

I would try the factory mattress  then if you don't like it have it switched out

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 16 March 2021 - 09:40 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#10 todgru

todgru

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationMaupin, OR

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:14 PM

Picked up a three-inch memory foam topper from Costco. We use the topper on top of the factory cushions. We have a Fleet and can't put the top down with the topper on, so we fold the topper into thirds, and stow it on top of the kitchen area while we travel. With the top down, it's wedged in there just tight enough, it stays put on our travels.

We sleep just as well in the camper as we do at home!

Edited by todgru, 16 March 2021 - 11:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users