• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#11 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 17 March 2021 - 04:12 AM

The Froli box spring system is like a Dyson portable vacuum: overpriced but worth it. https://www.froli.com/en/bed-systems/

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#12 Wildcat

Wildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 March 2021 - 05:58 AM

The Froli box spring system is like a Dyson portable vacuum: overpriced but worth it. https://www.froli.com/en/bed-systems/

DanoT, will the Froli system will compress for lowering the top?  I've got an older FWC and there's not a whole lot of room for clamping down the top if the sleeping matresses are stacked and the bedboard is pushed in.  The Froli system would also have to be stacked or removed and stored somewhere if the bed is pushed in.  I like the concept of the Froli system, but it looks like it may only be practical if you have a Grandby and can leave the bed pulled out all the time.

2001 FWC Eagle on 1998 Taco 4x4

#13 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 19 March 2021 - 02:09 PM

Agreed on the memory foam.  What a difference.  And no issues with closing the camper.

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#14 Colorado Mark

Colorado Mark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationLittleton & Buena Vista, CO

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:23 PM

We had a left over Coleman sleeping bag from the 60's.  It was a pretty large one.  And pretty thick.

Zipped it all the way open and just lay it on top of the OEM cushions from 4WC.  Works great and you can still close the top.

Tried a couple others first.  Sleeping pads and a very expensive SynMat dual.  Those where just to high when sleeping and it took too much time to deflate the SynMat when done so we could close the top.

Edited by Colorado Mark, 31 March 2021 - 10:24 PM.

#15 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 31 March 2021 - 11:25 PM

In my ATC Bobcat I found that the egg crate foam works and the top closes.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#16 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 01 April 2021 - 03:54 AM

...so I'm told.

I'm picking up my new Grandby in a few weeks, and my 55 year old bones need a comfy bed. I will be sleeping in it on the drive home, so I want to be prepared with some kind of mattress pad when I pick it up. What have ya'll done for a mattress hack in your FWC?

...which begs another question - why does FWC use such hard foam in their mattresses/cushions?

I would wait and try it out first before planning any mods.  Feedback varies based on personal preferences.  We are 60 plus on stock foam mattress in 2015-16 Hawk.  

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#17 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts
  • Locationwestern Colorado

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:43 AM

Update on my original question:

I picked up my new Grandby on 3/26 and slept in it that night. Mattress was a little stiffer than I like, but was tolerable. The next day I bought a 1.5" thick copper memory foam at Target and that makes it just right for me. And with down bedding left on, the top still sits down where it needs when lowered.

Thank you all for your $0.02 worth. [emoji16]

#18 Big Steve

Big Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 03:25 PM

I made DIY custom mattress cushions for our 2014 Hawk. (I also converted the stock E-W queen to a N-S king, but that's a different issue.)

My DIY cushions are made from two plies of high density polyurethane foam. Finished mattress is 5" thick, a sandwich of 2" medium HDPU foam (glued) over 3" of firm HDPU foam. I made the cover from Sunbrella upholstery fabric. Underside of cushions is highly breathable cushion underlining fabric. Foam is wrapped in cushion wrap silk film. The large (forward) cushion lies atop a moisture prevention underlining. All materials, i.e., foam, foam glue, fabric, underliner, zippers, were purchased from Sailrite. I sewed the cushions with a Sailrite LSZ-1 machine and V-92 poly thread. I cut the foam with an electric turkey carving knife.

Sailrite videos, especially the one about cushion-making, helped. (Check it out.) I used the Sailrite method for the small cushions, but that did not work for the large cushion because of the radii on the front corners, thus I used a box cushion construction for that.

The 5" cushions are too thick to stack when the camper top is buttoned down, thus the bed must be extended when driving.  

Comfort is vastly improved, nearly like our fancy expensive memory foam mattress.

Before commencing the project, I did lots of research, including buying custom foam and custom cushions, both of which quite expensive. Fortunately, I have years of sewing experience. 

The full project, including the E-W queen-to-N-S king conversion, cost about $1,000. The cushion portion of the project cost roughly $700, and I have fabric left over for my bud's Fleet. 

Edited by Big Steve, 06 April 2021 - 03:27 PM.

#19 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:21 PM

I use a 2" thick double Thermarest that is easily adjustable by how much air I blow into it.  I just blow enough that it adds a pillowtop effect to the FWC cushions.  It stows up top just fine in my 2016 Grandby.  In my old 1998 Ranger II there was no extra room in the overhead.  

#20 JMEK

JMEK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 23 April 2021 - 02:44 AM

I would wait and try it out first before planning any mods.  Feedback varies based on personal preferences.  We are 60 plus on stock foam mattress in 2015-16 Hawk.  

+1, I like the mattress in our 2015 fleet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users