• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:17 PM

Mastercraft was one of the many seat brands I looked at.  The Camber and Baja RS both recline but have about half of the Scheel-Mann adjustability features.  However they are about 1/2 the price of Scheel Manns (and Recaros) too.

We both really like the thigh seat extension (in /out) adjustment and seat back torso (side to side)

bolster adjustability as well as the lumbar adjustments on the Scheel Mann seats (Recaro has these adjustments as well). No other seat brand I looked at had the thigh and torso bolster adjustments.  In particular both Wendie and I get uncomfortable pressure under our thighs from the front of the current bucket seats in the truck during long drives. The thigh seat adjuster allows that pressure to be modified by turning a knob which movers the thigh support bolster forward or back effectively lengthening or shortening the seat bottom.  We sat in both the Recaro's and the Scheel-Manns for quite awhile using the various adjustment features and thinking about how the seats compared to the present OEM seats in the truck.

The torso bolster adjustment will be helpful on rough roads to reduce side to side motion in the seat and can be opened up for smooth surface driving.

I actually ordered a high sided bolster Scheel-Mann Vario R with a higher seat back (XXL version) for the driver side seat.  Yes, sliding into and out of the seat will be compromised but it will suppport me better.  I no longer use the truck for daily driving so this is not expected to be an issue.

The passenger side seat is a normal Vario F.  Wendie found it plenty comfortable.

The Scheel-Mann seats do recline and the recline angle is adjusted by turning a knob. The seat back angle can be finely adjusted.  There is also a release that allows the seat back to fold forward for access behind the seat (our truck has an extended cab).

We decided on the Scheel-Mann over Recaro because 1) The Recaro model that fit me the best does not offer a fold down arm rest option (deal breaker!) and 2) the lumbar support is adjusted by squeezing a bulb and inflating or deflating a plastic bag.  I saw that as an opportunity for leak failure 3) It does have a heated option although heat can be added by partial disassembly/reassembly and adding a third party heater.

A bonus feature is that the Scheel-Mann seat bottom folds up to allow access under the seat which is inaccessable with the OEM seat (and pretty much any afternmarket seat).  The seat risers in the truck are a 15" x16" box and about 6" deep.  That is plenty of room to locate electronics, a small safe, etc. 

Both the Scheel-Mann and Recaro seats are marketed as orthopedic seats designed for proper spinal support.  They sure felt like it when we sat in them as compared to most other seats we tried.  The Scheel-Mann is a firmer seat than the Recaro and feels very supportive.  Many of the other reclining seats (non racing seats) we sat in were a bit too soft and compliant did not feel as supportive in comparison, more like living room chairs, which is fine for smooth roads.

I will post a write up after we have them installed and put some miles on them.   I am expecting delivery of the passenger seat within a week.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#12 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:27 AM

The Scheel-Mann seat for the passenger side of the truck has been delivered.  The driver side seat was not in stock and had to be ordered. It will not be delivered until June.

The box is heavy cardboard and the seat along with the arm rest, head rest and electrical harness for the seat pad and back pad heaters were bagged separately.  

Scheel-Mann Vario F seat delivered in heavy cardboard shipping box

The seat slider brackets were in a separate compartment in the box under the seat.

Scheel-Mann Vario sseat slider brackets

Front view comparison of the Scheel-Mann Vario F seat with the OEM 1993 Dodge "Captains Chair" passenger side bucket seat.

Comparison of Scheel-Mann Vario F seat (left) with OEM Dodge passenger side "Captains Chair" bucket seat (right)

Side view comparison of the Scheel-Mann Vario F seat with the OEM 1993 Dodge "Captians Chair" passenger side bucket seat.

Side view comparison of Schell-Mann Vario F seat with OEM 1993 Dodge "Captains Chair" Passenger Seat

The side view comparison exaggerates the height difference becase the OEM seat has four threaded studs that are holding the base of it up about 2" whereas the Scheel-Man seat base is flat on the ground.  Even at that the Scheel-Mann seat is about 2" lower than the OEM seat.

The adapter brackets from Wedge Brackets in Utah will not be delivered until the end of the month.  So back in the box goes the seat until it can be installed.

Edited by ckent323, 26 August 2021 - 11:37 PM.

#13 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 12 April 2021 - 11:19 PM

Congratulations on owning the absolute finest seats available. I have read much about them and even spoke with an owner and as he stated, "words and pictures do them no justice." I am looking forward to more pictures and updates!

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

#14 bimmeryota

bimmeryota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 24 August 2021 - 06:14 AM

Any updated review on your new seats? I followed suit and got a set for my aging truck t extend its useful life. Only have short trips under my belt right now so I’m curious if your experience.

1998 Toyota T100 4WD SR5 XtraCab

3.4L V6 Supercharged, Auto, 33" BFG AT KO2, regeared to 4.70+ARB Rear Locker

1" Ball Joint Spacer front lift, KYB MonoMax

Load carrying: Custom Deaver spring packs

Camper: 2013 FWC Eagle with Silver Spur interior and outside shower

#15 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 10:59 PM

Howdy

I think they are on an extended Alaska trip....maybe no WEB access..

David Graves

#16 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 26 August 2021 - 11:33 PM

bimmeryota,

Greetings from Palmer, AK.   We got off the ferry in Whittier this morning and this is the first internet access we have had in about a week.   We have been exploring various locations along the inside passage, Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, Gustavus, with a few hours on foot in Petersburg, Wrangle and Yakutat, as well as a brief walk onshore at Hoona, during port stops.

The Scheel-Mann seats are great!   It took me a couple of days to adjust my seat to my back to get it "just right" and it is firm but very comfortable!  Wendie loves her seat too!  Expensive but no regrets. The firmness is great at minimizing bouncing around while still being comfortable when driving on less than smooth, bumpy road surfaces. 

We are planning to attend the Alaska State Fair tomorrow and then head for McCarthy and Valdez on Saturday.

I hope you are as pleased with your seats as we are with ours.

Cheers.

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 27 August 2021 - 04:34 AM.

#17 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 12:01 AM

Hey Craig

All of WanderTheWestWorld is envious of your current trip !

Should you need anything on the trip south thru Oregon feel free to send me an email or PM.

We will be on the other coast most of September but you are welcome to stop by if needs must.

David Graves

#18 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 27 August 2021 - 02:25 AM

Try Jessie's fried peaches and cream - yummmm!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#19 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 27 August 2021 - 04:30 AM

Ronin,

No Jessie's in Palmer.

We tried the Palmer Ale House, good selection of food as well as 44 beers on tap.

Big Dipper Homemade Ice Cream for dessert.  

David,

Thanks.

We still plan to try to drive home through Canada via Jasper, Banff and Glacier National Park in late September into early October depending weather and Covid restrictions.  We are holding onto our return ferry reservations for now.

For anyone who is interested:

Lessons learned on the ferry

The MV Kennicott 2 berth roomettes are tiny and have no private bath. No bedding is included either.  At least one of the ferry Captains likes the Ocean and he took us to Ketchikan outside the inside passage after passing between Vancouver Island and mainland BC becasue the seas were only 2-3  meters.  A lot of people got seasick.   No fun being seasick in a public bathroom.  That was a 2 night adventure.

On the leg from Juneau to Whittier (most of this trip is across the Gulf of Alaska) we were on the MV Kennicott again for 2 nights.  I upgraded us (right after the first leg - but at a premium for not being 30 days ahead of departure) to 4 berth roomettes.  They have private baths, include bedding and towels and are perfect for 2 people so skip the 2 berth roomettes on the MV Kennicott.

On the leg from Ketchikan to Juneau we were on the MV Matanuska and the 2 berth roomettes on that ship come with linens and private bath.  These cabins were fine for 2 people.  

Every employee of the Alaska Marine Highway that we encountered was friendly, helpful and patient.  I can't prise them all enough for making the voyages as pleasant as possible.

Food onboard is mostly cafeteria quality with an occasional Chef special that is quite good.  The Clam chowder was consitently good although it was nearly as thick as custard but full of clams and good flavor.

Edited by ckent323, 27 August 2021 - 04:32 AM.

#20 dr.tucson

dr.tucson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 27 August 2021 - 03:26 PM

For anyone searching for seats, there are a couple of places in Phoenix that get them from a big van converting operation.  They are usually new seats, but some used. One of the sites is: https://phoenix.crai...7368396260.html

I've been there looking to replace the worn seat in my Ranger and they have an interesting selection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users