• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AbaloneTony

AbaloneTony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:24 AM

First project was to make a step to enter the camper.
This will be the only steel I should be using for the camper.
I really want all add-ons to be made from lightweight aluminum or thin stainless.
I wanted the steps to be VERY strong, so steel it was made from. It looks OK with a little Black powder coat paint.

I used expanded metal where the feet/boots would make contact to reduce the chance of slipping on those wet outings.

I also didn’t want to put the step in the camper when driving down the road. So I added an extra mounting location at 90 degrees. This 90-degree mount also places the step further off the ground. It’s kind of tucked up under the camper. I might add a Third brake light that mounts to the step when it is in the travel location. I have extra trailer lights and the trailer wiring harness is close by. The third brake light will be a little later.

It seems like their not much time to play with the camper. We have been using the camper non-stop with Dive and camping trips we have been doing.

AbaloneTony

Attached Thumbnails

• SIDE-100_2990.jpg
  • USE-100_2995.jpg

#2 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

very nice work, stout and good looking, way to go.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#3 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:17 AM

Wow, that is really slick how it has a travel position and a utilize position. Great thinking.
Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#4 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:14 AM

Great looking steps, can you tow a trailer with this set up ? When mounted sideways in travel mode, the tube that sticks outback does not look large enough for a trailer ball mount (stinger), will it handle one ?

#5 AbaloneTony

AbaloneTony

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:23 PM

If I were to have made the main beam of the step longer it would be strong enough to tow. The main beam is .5 thick steel. When I tow a boat I have chosen the bike rack extension. The longer the better. I like not getting the shoes wet when winching up. If we need to get wet I have the kids kick off the shoe and help align the boat.
I plan to make some mounts on the boat trailers to hole the steps while on the road.

Great 4th of July. Caught some large and small mouth Bass and dragged the kids on a knee board. I should have gotten the FWC years ago when I first learned of them.

Abalone Tony

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 076.jpg
  • Picture 077.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users