• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:06 PM

Looking a taking a two week trip down into cali later this summer, maybe August but leaning towards September (less crowds/traffic and likely cooler out). We’ve got a really rough idea of what we’d like to do and I’m opening up the floor for good spots/sights to take in along the dusty road.

(I’ll describe the trip in one direction but could just as easily reverse it and go the other way).
· Take off from Seattle and take up to two nights to make it to the Bay area. Probably will haul I5 to get through WA and OR to make some time. We did the coast in 07. Depending on whims and how “on-time” we make it out the door to start the trip we’d either duck 199 over to the northern CA coast (Eureka is our previous southern point on the coast drive) or just push it into the Bay Area.
· Spend two nights bumming around the Bay Area, have a friend to visit there and the little lady hasn’t been there before to see the city/Alcatraz, etc.
· Spend two nights working down the coast to Santa Barbara. Here is where I’m definitely open ears for some coastal camping spots.
· Spend two nights around Santa Barbara, will be visiting some friends and might go camping with them or hang around the city.
· Two nights outside of LA to visit my sister.
· Two or three nights working up through Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks (suggestions to see the good sights but avoid the mass crowds?). [Thought about DV based on all your awesome threads/pictures but think it may be way to hot in the summer and we have a lot packed in already]
· Was thinking of heading out the east side of Yosemite through Lake Tahoe and then back towards home (any route through OR suggested?)

Hit me with what you got. I’ll be spending the next month or so tweaking some things on the camper to ideally get things a tad more ready.

General route visually:
Posted Image

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

Okay looking like this is going to go down Sept 19 - Oct 4 unless something major comes up.

Two main areas I'm looking for ideas on as these will be our promary times to relax a bit longer at places in the rig:

#1 Camping locations on the coast between the Bay Area and Santa Barbara

#2 Camping locations in or around Yosemite/Sequoia NP's.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

#1: The Big Sur area. Simply a must. Beach camping in the SB area may be tough on the weekends, mid week you should be able to find a spot. Check out Jalama if you can, pretty sweet spot. Reservations can be made at a lot of the beach camping places near SB (like Refugio & El Capitan) through Reserve America. Know that you won't be alone at any of these places.

#2: Tons of places to camp up there, I enjoyed the Mineral King area of the Seqouias (Cold Springs??, can't remember). Definitnely off the beaten path. Also camping above Yosemite off of Tioga Pass if too crowded in the valley.

You're stoked, you picked a great time of year to go.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

#1: The Big Sur area. Simply a must. Beach camping in the SB area may be tough on the weekends, mid week you should be able to find a spot. Check out Jalama if you can, pretty sweet spot. Reservations can be made at a lot of the beach camping places near SB (like Refugio & El Capitan) through Reserve America. Know that you won't be alone at any of these places.

#2: Tons of places to camp up there, I enjoyed the Mineral King area of the Seqouias (Cold Springs??, can't remember). Definitnely off the beaten path. Also camping above Yosemite off of Tioga Pass if too crowded in the valley.

You're stoked, you picked a great time of year to go.

Yeah we're definately looking forward to the trip assuming all goes well (bout 80-20 go right now, we'll know more as the weeks close in) and I'm definately glad to push it off into Sept. to cut some of the heat and the crowds since the kiddies are back in classes.

Great part about both these portions of the trip is they will be weekdays so hopefully things are thinned out even more.

Definitely planning on Big Sur, any specific locations in that turf you'd recommend or is it pretty much all good?

I'll check out the Mineral King area, looks a bit off the main drag so that should thin things out a bit.

#5 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:27 PM

It's all pretty good, you might check out Fernwood if Pfeiffer Big Sur camgrounds are still closed. That'll give you the whole redwood/Big Sur river camp exeperience.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

Final countdown. We hit the road Saturday, I'm very pumped!

Been out of town for work and get home tomorrow night, going to be mildly hectic tying up some loose ends in preparation to leave but at least I'll be able to relax in short order. :D

#7 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

Pods8

Well, I am a bit jealous. Have a great rip and do post photos. Of course, we are having some mighty good weather up here this week. Never can tell this time of year.....Stay or go east. This week we stay. Update your photos along the way so we can live vicariously via your posts.

Dave

#8 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:34 PM

Pods8

Well, I am a bit jealous. Have a great rip and do post photos. Of course, we are having some mighty good weather up here this week. Never can tell this time of year.....Stay or go east. This week we stay. Update your photos along the way so we can live vicariously via your posts.

Dave

I'm due, I haven't gotten in any major trip action this year. :lol: We tend to like to snap pics and the little lady just got a new SLR she's bound to be playing with so pictures shall be forthcoming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users