32 replies to this topic

#11 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

Are the Yetis US made? I couldn't find that info.

#12 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:38 PM

Are the Yetis US made? I couldn't find that info.

My bad. On their website it says they are manufactured in the Philippines. HQ and distribution is in Austin, TX.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#13 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:46 PM

Yeah I thought it was a stretch that we could manufacture something as complicated as a cooler

:rolleyes:

#14 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

According to a CA Ranger I know, in her patrol area bears break into locked vehicles several times a week in the summer. Now one would think a F250 (even one with running boards) would be stronger than a Yeti.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#15 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

The bears tend to peel the window frames away from the body. The weak link in the door panel. The video on the Yeti web site looked pretty convincing. You would probably have to get new latches after a bear played with the cooler.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#16 Wise Tioga

Wise Tioga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

The thing to remember about bears and food is that they have one of the best noses in the anumal world. There is an old indian saying that really points this up. "If leaf falls in the forest, a deer will hear it, a wild turkey will see it, and a bear will smell it." This is way more true than you can imagine. Trust me on that. How do you beat this?? Keep a clean (I mean a really clean) campsite. Keep a really clean vehicle. I have my truck fully detailed each year before going camping and allow NO, NONE, ZERO loose food or eating/drinking in the truck EVER. I scrub my coolers and rinse with Clorox after every trip. Wipe them, my stove, chuck-box, kitchen-box down after every meal with Clorex wipes. Never dump any dish water at the campsite, etc. Put all your food containers including coolers in the campsites bear-proof locker. If your out in the bush store in your vehicle and cover then with a space blanket so they can't tell it's a cooler, etc. from the shape. Yes, savvey campground bears can tell!

Good luck
W.T.

#17 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:25 PM

I have my truck fully detailed each year before going camping and allow NO, NONE, ZERO loose food or eating/drinking in the truck EVER. I scrub my coolers and rinse with Clorox after every trip. Wipe them, my stove, chuck-box, kitchen-box down after every meal with Clorex wipes.

OCD? :lol:
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:32 PM

I think so. I go to bed with a bag of chips by my head. Leftover food on the grill. Bacon grease dumped on the ground. Coolers in plain sight. And still, have never had a problem.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#19 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:22 AM

Scott,
You may want to check out these coolers.

http://www.galaxycoo...ooler_specs.php

I have had some experience with the Yeti coolers on river trips and I am less than impressed.

Galaxy coolers are what a lot of river outfitters are using.

Google GCPBA and if you join as a member they are running a 40% off members special on Galaxy. Might save you some money. Don't know if they are bear proof but what I have seen of the Yeti on the river they have a lot of problems with the latches and lid warpage.
Drtrat

After reading this thread at Expedition Portal I began to wonder about bears and OUR refers.

Anyone have any opinions/stories to share?

This all started after my crappy igloo failed to hold ice for more than 30 hours. I started trying to prep the wife for an Engel to go with our Dometic 3-way. Well, I'm not feeling it anymore. I think I'm going to save for a Yeti.

#20 Wise Tioga

Wise Tioga

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:29 AM

Barko1 and Craig333

Make fun if you wish. However, I have been car camping/tent camping for over 40 years in all 11 of the Western States and there are a lot of campgrounds in that area that are smack-dab in the middle of bear country. I have never been bothered by bears doing anything more that wandering through my site, snif around a bit and move on to more productive sites. I have watched as those same bears have trashed many other campsites on both sides of mine as well as those behind and across the road from mine. All because the campers didn't keep a clean campsite. I don't know how how old either of you may be, but if you were an adult in the 60's perhaps you remenber the Volvo sedans of that age. They were some of the most solidly built cars ever. Really heavy steel. Well I watched a small black bear sow (not more than 150 lbs.) open up a 64 Volvo sedan like it was made of cardboard. When she got out of the car it looked like a battle-zone. She also opened the trunk like she had a key. If you want to take that kind of a chance with your vehicle or your tent, your gear, etc. be my guest. However, I don't really wish that on you or any other camper.

W.T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users