• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ceebee

ceebee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 10:12 PM

My family and I (two daughters 12 and 11 and wife) will be starting in San Francisco in a rented RV and headed to Yosemite for three nights and then either north to Lake Tahoe or south to Sequoia. We are looking for suggestions on where to camp near Tahoe. We are thinking that we will not like the noise and activity of a private campground and are thinking of trying our hand at dispersed camping but do not know where. We like the idea of the peaceful north side of Tahoe but we are open to any suggestions based on experiences. We are flying blind here...but we are adventurous

#2 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 June 2021 - 11:02 PM

If you have not made reservations at this point finding a place to camp might be a challenge in major camping areas. That said being adventurous is the way of the west.
This last year many are also seeking remote camping and a rental might be a hard vehicle to access these. Best to be sensible and have a plan B (and C). This is a very unique time for camping as everyone is doing the same and it is busy out there. Sorry no specific info just a cautious warning on planning.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#3 ceebee

ceebee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 12:13 PM

If you have not made reservations at this point finding a place to camp might be a challenge in major camping areas. That said being adventurous is the way of the west.
This last year many are also seeking remote camping and a rental might be a hard vehicle to access these. Best to be sensible and have a plan B (and C). This is a very unique time for camping as everyone is doing the same and it is busy out there. Sorry no specific info just a cautious warning on planning.

Thanks. We did snag a reservation at a private campground 30 minutes from Yosemite. I am fearful that campgrounds are just a loud party scene with no enforcement so we are leaning toward some remote dispersed options.

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 July 2021 - 02:22 PM

When are you planning to make this trip?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 ceebee

ceebee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:25 PM

Mid August.

#6 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 02 July 2021 - 01:15 PM

Here are some websites you can check for camping spots.

iOverlander | Find your next destination

RV Parks, Caravan Parks and unique RV Camping locations - Campendium

Welcome - Freecampsites.net

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 02:35 PM

Mid August.

This is why I asked -

Massive Delays and Massive Traffic

Midweek and no holidays are best.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 03 July 2021 - 07:22 PM

There's a nice NF campground about 30 miles from Tahoe.

Off hwy 88 at Blue Lakes RD.

Hope Valley on the Blue lakes road.

Nice camp takes reservations plus FCFS sites.

There are some openings for Aug that might work for you.

It's a great quiet place with access to Blue lake area further 

along the road.

Tahoe is to the NE on hwy 89.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 ceebee

ceebee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 11:26 PM

There's a nice NF campground about 30 miles from Tahoe.

Off hwy 88 at Blue Lakes RD.

Hope Valley on the Blue lakes road.

Nice camp takes reservations plus FCFS sites.

There are some openings for Aug that might work for you.

It's a great quiet place with access to Blue lake area further 

along the road.

Tahoe is to the NE on hwy 89.

Frank

Thanks Frank. That is the info I can use. That article ski3pin linked is enough to turn me off to even trying to get to Tahoe. It is my first time in the Sierras and I was hoping I could see the area but in reality we just want quiet, safe and hopefully a place to swim and cool off after a day on the road...

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 11:52 PM

Frank mentioned Blue Lakes Road south from highway 88 in Hope Valley. That road ends at Lower and Upper Blue Lakes, two PG&E project impoundments. Check it out. There are several campgrounds, I believe PG&E does reservations. Water is low, as it is everywhere. Both reservoirs get lots of use by kayakers. The Pacific Crest Trail is close by along with a nice trail out to Granite Lake. We drove out there Thursday for a picnic lunch away from home. It's a bit off the tourist beaten path and a nice area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users