18 replies to this topic

#11 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:53 PM

KC,

Great report and pictures! I'm headed that way next Saturday for a week with fishing gear.
RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

Dang, thats a lot of trips. I won't keep a log. Too depressing.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:29 AM

Sick shots...good to see the T-100 out & about again. :thumb:

Great looking trip. You're givin' me the itch.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#14 seldomseensmith

seldomseensmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

So now we're at 102 total nights spent in the camper (I log each night & location in a journal) and the break down for those nerdy types like me who like this kind of stuff is as follows:

Utah - 23 nights
Montana - 22 nights
Wyoming - 21 nights
Colorado - 15 nights
Idaho - 10 nights
California - 8 nights
New Mexico - 2 nights
Oregon - 1 night

Beautiful pics and great report - makes me miss the Northern Rockies in a good way... 'course I don't miss the 11 months of winter :D I see by your list of places you stayed that Utah tops the list, followed by Montana and Wyoming. IMO, your taste is impeccable
2008 F250 5.4L 4x4 SC w/SB, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

#15 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

Awesome pictures :thumb: You must tell me what type of camera do you use

I use an Olympus C4000, a simple 4 megapixel camera. Released in 2002, it's ancient now by digital camera standards and I would love to move up to a nice DSLR, like the Nikon D40, but I'm still happy with the results of the l'il Olympus for now. I recently changed the photo software I've been using from Photo Impact, to Gimp and I like it a lot. Photography has been a real long learning process for me, but I make the results more fun by always trying to put myself in the most beautiful locations out west. That way hopefully, the beautiful subject matter compensates for my meager skills.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/sc/yankeefor...interest.shtml[/URL]. There's also several backcountry motorways that are full of history if you have a longer day or two to explore [URL="http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/sc/yankeefork/custermotorway.shtml"]http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/sc/yankeefor...motorway.shtml[/URL']

Great links and info. My original itinerary was going to continue from Stanley, up to McCall, Elk City, a portion of the Magruder Corridor trail, and the Lolo Motorway. But when I reached Stanley, and saw the perfect weather and found a lakeside campsite, I decided to skip all of that driving (for now) and just stay there. But yeah, there is still so much more to see up there....

....next time your at Pettit you can take a side trip to Yellow Belly Lake about 5 miles from Pettit and you can make it in your truck and camper a very remote lake The 4x4 road dead ends there and you can camp at the end with just a few yards to the lake if you have a yak you will be the only one on the lake!
You got us pumped to go,still 2 weeks before we leave,we get a whole 2 months up in the Sawtooths!:D

You lucky dog... 2 months in the Sawtooths?!? I would probably never come back. Well, until the snow started piling up anyway... Great tip on Yellow Belly Lake. I saw it on the map but didn't look for an access trail. Next time. By the way, the library in Stanley has wi-fi if you need it. Hope you two have a fun & safe trip Les!

Great report and pictures! I'm headed that way next Saturday for a week with fishing gear.

And yet another lucky dog! You should have a great visit. The river is running pretty fast but there were still a lot of folks out fishing. The bugs weren't even too bad which was surprising, given all of the rain they've had. For what it's worth, beer was cheaper in the Mercantile than at the gas station next door. Same beer, but a buck or two cheaper per 6 pack. These things matter. Oh, and some nice free camping on the road into Stanley Lake in the Elk Meadow Loop turn-off. Hope you have a fun & safe trip too!

I see by your list of places you stayed that Utah tops the list, followed by Montana and Wyoming. IMO, your taste is impeccable

I agree, lol! Gotta "wander the west", right?

I had a great trip planned for last Fall, circumnavigating the Great Lakes to add some mid-west flavor to my stuff but we had to postpone the trip. Still want to do that someday. I also want to head to the Baja peninsula someday too. And just last night, the lady and I were discussing changing up our annual November trip to Death Valley, to perhaps returning to Washington and the Olympic Peninsula and Olympic National Park. I'd love to see Port Townsend and Neah Bay again.

And I will freely admit to padding my count by including our one night in Oregon, as we actually stayed in the camper, but parked in my Father's driveway. He was renovating his guest room/office when we visited, so we stayed in the camper. But it was Thanksgiving in Tillamook, and the temps were below freezing, so that's how I justify it! :D

We are already planning our next trip, which sadly will not include our camper, as we have a wedding to attend in September in North Carolina. We have decided to extend our stay there to 10 days as I will show the lady my home state including the Outerbanks and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Unfortunately we'll be flying in, but we may rent an RV when we get there to tour the Tarheel state.

Thanks again to everyone for the positive feedback! :cool:

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#16 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:34 AM

KC:

Nice write up and nice pics. It just goes to show, it is the photographer not the camera that makes the phots.

Everytime I read one of your writeups it just makes me want to ditch work and hit the road. Stanley.....will have to look that one up...

Thanks!!

Dave in Seattle.

#17 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:12 AM

Stanley.....will have to look that one up...

Since you are in Washington, I'm going to go out on a limb and state that there is no place more amazing than Stanley near your location. Truly a must go destination. We'll have to do a rally up there some time.

#18 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:59 AM

Rally????

Hmmmmm some planning might be in order....

Dave in Seattle

#19 GSBFree

GSBFree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:55 PM

Truly a must go destination. We'll have to do a rally up there some time.

Great idea! Would love to see a rally in the Stanley area next year!!! How far would WTW folks drive for this?
'15 Tundra Double Cab
'08 Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users