yes,fabric,no, your welcome

#12 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 July 2021 - 12:50 AM

We just returned from the north side of Indian Heaven Wilderness on the west side of Mt Adams. Those of you that have been there know it is infested everywhere in that area with mosquitos and biting flies. We stocked up on various anti-skeeter remedies, including the Thermocell that Sage recommended. Last evening we sat outside with the Thermocell and were unmolested by any insects. This morning I made coffee outside, as usual, and after the thermocell warmed up all the skeeters & flies disappeared. I am convinced it works. As a test, my lovely wife had no other repellant on as we sipped our coffee and enjoyed the view, with the device in between us. No critter bites, only the occasional approach, then veering away. She is also convinced.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 15 July 2021 - 12:52 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#13 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 15 July 2021 - 09:45 PM

I used the Thermocell on the Magruder and it works. I wasn't sure it was working until I turned it off and the mosquitoes appeared shortly there after.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#14 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 July 2021 - 12:41 AM

Thermacell is standard on Alaskan river trips. They just work!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#15 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:45 PM

Please be aware that the active ingredient in this is a pyrethrin type material, d-allethrin. Relatively safe for you, although not recommended for indoor use, but HIGHLY toxic to fish and aquatic insects of all types in minute doses. Based on how these work, heating up and dispersing a cloud of epa registered pesticide, using near any open water is a very bad and irresponsible practice. Please be responsible. It would be the equivalent of spraying down your clothes with pyrethrin right next to a creek or pond. The reason this stuff repels is because it is toxic to the insects.

The mfg of this product really does not spell this out anywhere in their information except on the MSDS. http://www.epestsupp...LanternMsds.pdf

http://npic.orst.edu...pyrethrins.html

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#16 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 July 2021 - 02:07 PM

Yes it is hazardous if used irresponsibly. We also spray a set of clothes each with pyrethrin, but make sure our cats are nowhere nearby until it dries. Cats are particularly sensitive and could be harmed when pyrethrin is still in liquid form. I would like to think people read labels and act accordingly, but some don't I am sure.

By the way, thermacell does not emit clouds of pesticide. In very calm conditions, with good light, it is just barely possible to see some vapors. 15 feet is the range for keeping mosquitos at bay. Occasionally they do approach but don't linger to set down and drill into your skin. 

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#17 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 31 July 2021 - 01:40 PM

I get that it is not a “cloud” per se, but it is an area of vaporized, therefore still wet, material about 15 feet in diameter. My point was just to make people aware that it is a potential source of contamination in aquatic settings. Always a balance. As mentioned above, I did not see any warning in the IFU for thermocell.

Edited by Mthomas, 31 July 2021 - 01:41 PM.

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#18 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 03 August 2021 - 09:45 PM

Also uncomfortable with the throw away heat element .... being from a buggy area there is a better way. Low impact less stuff.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#19 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:26 AM

Yes it is hazardous if used irresponsibly. We also spray a set of clothes each with pyrethrin, but make sure our cats are nowhere nearby until it dries. Cats are particularly sensitive and could be harmed when pyrethrin is still in liquid form. I would like to think people read labels and act accordingly, but some don't I am sure.

By the way, thermacell does not emit clouds of pesticide. In very calm conditions, with good light, it is just barely possible to see some vapors. 15 feet is the range for keeping mosquitos at bay. Occasionally they do approach but don't linger to set down and drill into your skin. 

It also works pretty good on sweat bees; several years ago camped by  a lake that was loaded with them!  They really gave my old border collie Bob  hard time. Tried all my usual tricks to keep them out of my camp area w/o killing them, but when they do their  every so many years swarm and make camping and especially eating outside impossible  sometimes ya have too---but they learned and after a few days they kept out of the kill zone.

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 04 August 2021 - 03:28 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,966 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:43 AM

Also uncomfortable with the throw away heat element .... being from a buggy area there is a better way. Low impact less stuff.

That's true of the models designed to be carried.  I used the bigger "base camp" module that goes onto an isobutane canister that I would normally use for a backpacking stove.  Still using the same small canister I started using with the Thermacell 2 years ago!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users