Photo
- - - - -

New to site, just purchased a 90's ranger for my 2004 Tundra . . . Need some help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DougEFresh

DougEFresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for checking this thread out!

I need some help in figuring out the best way to secure the camper to the bed.  Currently it is sitting in the back of the Tundra (6.5' bed, 8 foot camper) and is secured in with straps.  I've got some Reico-Titan manual jacks on the way,  but for the time being it isn't coming off the back.

Here are some questions:

Is it better to secure to the bed of the truck directly, or to the frame with brackets and tie downs, or is there another better way?

Should I remove the bed liner before securing the camper?

Do I need to keep space between the front of the camper and the front of the bed wall (between the camper and the wall)?  If so how much?

I am so new to this but really stoked, I got a great price on the camper and I have been looking for one for a while.  I'm really excited to get it seated into the truck correctly and get camping.

Please chime in and let me know what you know.

Doug

#2 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:05 AM

Hi Doug,

Welcome to WTW and congratulations on your new Ranger.  I can certainly give you some pointer based on my old setup...

20070714004-L.jpg

The guys at All Terrain Campers probably built your camper back in the day.  Mine Ranger was a 2000 andthey told me they had built it.

As for mounting, mine was just through the bed itself with backing plates.  I never had any problems with that.

As for front of bed spacing, I placed a 2x4 on edge in the front of mine to clear that top bed rail lip.

In this picture you can see the eyebolt positioning (pretty much in the corners) - 

20161105_113311-L.jpg

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:51 AM

Hi Doug, welcome to WTW.   If your camper will be on the truck, the majority of the time, most folks believe through bolting is the better, more secure method.  Using eye bolts and turnbuckles works, but you need to make certain the turnbuckles don’t loosen.

Your bed liner probably should come out.  I use a rubber stall mat to keep the camper off the slick bed.

Congrats on the new camper.   Marty and Jeff at ATC are good resources, and they do excellent, reasonably priced work.

I am haunted by waters

#4 DougEFresh

DougEFresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:39 AM

Hi Doug,

Welcome to WTW and congratulations on your new Ranger.  I can certainly give you some pointer based on my old setup...

20070714004-L.jpg

The guys at All Terrain Campers probably built your camper back in the day.  Mine Ranger was a 2000 andthey told me they had built it.

As for mounting, mine was just through the bed itself with backing plates.  I never had any problems with that.

As for front of bed spacing, I placed a 2x4 on edge in the front of mine to clear that top bed rail lip.

In this picture you can see the eyebolt positioning (pretty much in the corners) - 

20161105_113311-L.jpg

Thanks for the reply Jim, great information.  Question about the bolt to the frame option, How does the camper connect to the bolts?  

Thanks 

Doug

Hi Doug,

20070714004-L.jpg

20161105_113311-L.jpg

#5 DougEFresh

DougEFresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:42 AM

Thanks WS, I may give the crew down at ATC a call in the morning to get more information about the through bolt method and to see if they can do the install for me.  I do plan on having the camper on and off the truck on occasion.  There are some spots I like to get the boat into the river that are pretty rough.  Would be easier with the camper shell off.

DH

#6 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:47 AM

Mine had forged eye bolts in the corners of the bed and turnbuckles from those eyebolts to the eyebolts on the camper.  Nothing to the frame.

There are pics in this thread -  https://expeditionpo...wc-hawk.122349/

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:13 AM

the turnbuckle option is the default, and works for most folks.  Others have had serious issues with them loosening/failing.  I prefer the Derringer fast guns... they don't loosen!

#8 DougEFresh

DougEFresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 03:20 PM

I like those fast gun turnbuckles too, they are more expensive, but likely worth it in the long run.

the turnbuckle option is the default, and works for most folks.  Others have had serious issues with them loosening/failing.  I prefer the Derringer fast guns... they don't loosen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users