#1 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:09 PM

Posted Image

Dear Friends-

We just got back from our annual two weeks' camp on the shore of Lake Erie. (I work from home, but have to punch in once a year.) Edna did so well that she plotted the course (above) on the ride home for the weeks of July 27th to August 18th.

Our questions--

1. Anybody who lives along the route, post or PM me if we can visit, please?
2. Anybody who wants to join in for all or part, ditto?
3. Any suggestions? Gotchas? Please post!

M&E! :thumb:

#2 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:28 AM

Nice route. Should be a lot of fun.

here in Seattle, if you are planning to enter the big city, there is always time for at least a beer.

I am in the city proper, so may not appeal to you.

Do let me know

Dave in Seattle......

#3 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

Looks like you be on I40 but if you are on I10 heading West let me know.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#4 Buzz

Buzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

If you get the chance, you might want to check out Olympic National Park, including Hurricane Ridge, Ruby Beach, and the Hoh Rainforest.

The drive along the Columbia River Gorge is beautiful. There are lots of waterfalls and several nice state parks along the way. Bonneville Dam is well worth a stop. Have you ever come face to face with a giant sturgeon? Free camping is available at one of the dams on the Oregon side....sorry, I recall only that it was well upstream of the coast.

A drive down the coast to Redwoods National Park and watching the Roosevelt Elk are fun.

At Salt Lake you might consider a night out on Antelope Island.

There is national forest camping just west of Yosemite National Park on Hwy 140. I've camped free there a couple of times. Camping inside the park was really good.....forty years ago. Probably still is, though, and you can still get a campsite without reservations if you show up early for the cancellations.

If you don't mind hanging with a bunch of rock climbers at Yosemite, Campground 4 is good. It is just tent camping, but there's a big parking lot; so, WTH, pitch a tent and sleep in the camper. The shuttle bus is really good for getting around inside the valley. Traffic is pretty bad most of the time.

Looks like you are headed down the east side of the Sierras, though; so, you should check out Mono Lake and sprint up into Yosemite from there. There are several state campgrounds all along your route. You might want to check out the bristlecone pines, too. I really like the Eastern Sierras, myself.

There's little of California not to like....except maybe for the crowds and the economy. It will be a fun trip.

Practice good bear safety.

-Buzz

#5 Buzz

Buzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

If you get the chance, you might want to check out Olympic National Park, including Hurricane Ridge, Ruby Beach, and the Hoh Rainforest.

The drive along the Columbia River Gorge is beautiful. There are lots of waterfalls and several nice state parks along the way. Bonneville Dam is well worth a stop. Have you ever come face to face with a giant sturgeon? Free camping is available at one of the dams on the Oregon side....sorry, I recall only that it was well upstream of the coast.

A drive down the coast to Redwoods National Park and watching the Roosevelt Elk are fun.

At Salt Lake you might consider a night out on Antelope Island.

There is national forest camping just west of Yosemite National Park on Hwy 140. I've camped free there a couple of times. Camping inside the park was really good.....forty years ago. Probably still is, though, and you can still get a campsite without reservations if you show up early for the cancellations.

If you don't mind hanging with a bunch of rock climbers at Yosemite, Campground 4 is good. It is just tent camping, but there's a big parking lot; so, WTH, pitch a tent and sleep in the camper. The shuttle bus is really good for getting around inside the valley. Traffic is pretty bad most of the time.

Looks like you are headed down the east side of the Sierras, though; so, you should check out Mono Lake and sprint up into Yosemite from there. There are several state campgrounds all along your route. You might want to check out the bristlecone pines, too. I really like the Eastern Sierras, myself.

There's little of California not to like....except maybe for the crowds and the economy. It will be a fun trip.

Practice good bear safety.

-Buzz

#6 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBigfork Montana

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:24 PM

Mark- If you are headed to the Flathead Lake/West Glacier area PM me. That's my backyard. Barney
1963 VW Sunroof, 1996 Corvette Convertible (summer) 2004 Ranger, 2008 Subie Legacy GT (snow) 1997 F250 now known as The Big Green Beast Cougar shell picked up 8-28-09, mods begun

#7 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

Looks like you be on I40 but if you are on I10 heading West let me know.

West of where?

#8 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

Buzz, thanks for the tips. Edna had most of the spots plugged in, but not all.

She's worried about bears now, though... :mad:

#9 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:12 PM

Dave & Barney, PMs sent...

#10 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:34 PM

West of where?

I'm in the Las Cruces area if you need an overnight spot.
Posted Image
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users