• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#11 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

I'm in the Las Cruces area if you need an overnight spot.

How cool! We're going right by there! :thumb:

PM sent.

#12 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

PM responded to. I have a good parking spot next to miles of uninhabited desert:)

PM sent.

Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#13 FishFearMe

FishFearMe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSE Illinois

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

You should consider taking Highway 2 from Spokane to Seattle instead of I-90.

Highway 2 is much more scenic through the mountains, and I've always liked stopping in at Leavenworth.

#14 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:04 PM

PM sent.

And for anyone crossing W. Texas on I10 or I20 one of the few good places to camp is Balmorhea State Park. Water is a good thing in West Texas:thumb:

"The 77,053 square ft San Solomon Spring is the focal point of Balmorhea State Park. From 22 to 28 million gallons of water flow through the spring-fed swimming pool each day. Other CCC structures in the park include a limestone concession building, two wooden bathhouses, an adobe superintendent residence, and San Solomon Courts, an early expression of the modern-day motel, constructed of adobe bricks. All of the CCC buildings are constructed in a Spanish Colonial style with stucco exteriors and tile roofs.

Visitors to Balmorhea State Park can enjoy a swim in the CCC-constructed pool and, if staying overnight, may choose to relax in one of the historic rooms at San Solomon Courts. The lobby of the park office includes several photographs of the CCC at work in what is now Balmorhea State Park. When visiting the park, take time to see what the park property looked like in the late 1930s and what it looks like today. Balmorhea State Park is a substantial monument to the construction skills and hard work of the CCC crew and their supervisors."
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#15 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:51 AM

Edna's worried about bears. (I explained the lions and tigers away.) She wants to know if a loud horn is a good idea?

She'll only accept advice from someone who lives in bear country! :eek:

#16 ednotes

ednotes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:20 AM

Nice route. Should be a lot of fun.

here in Seattle, if you are planning to enter the big city, there is always time for at least a beer.

I am in the city proper, so may not appeal to you.

Do let me know

Dave in Seattle......

We will be in Seattle because we are also saying hi to some friends that just moved over there. Thanks for the invite and look forward to seeing you.... God willing.

#17 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:49 AM

Mark, here's some good advice about bears.....

Attached Thumbnails

• bear.jpg

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#18 zonker

zonker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationWillamette Valley, OR

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:52 AM

Mark..

We live in Salem, OR. So since it looks like you will be going past.. give us a holler. If you need a place to park for a night.. we would be more than happy to accommodate you.
Zonker 2004 FWC Hawk 2006 Fiat/Dodge w/QC and 5.9 Cummins

#19 Buzz

Buzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

Sorry, Edna. I didn't mean to alarm you. It's extremely unlikely that you will be eaten by a bear--black or grizzly.

I just meant that you should keep food locked away and out of site. They know that an ice chest or a backpack lying around could contain food. Above all, DO NOT, under any circumstances, rub bacon all over your body and sleep out on the ground.

Seriously, the black bears are just looking for a free, easy meal. If they see an ice chest in the back seat of a car, they might break in.

Noise makers are a good idea. Bears scare easily. A bear stuck it's nose into my sleeping bag one cold night at Yosemite. I yelled and it ran off. Simply banging on a pan and yelling will work. You can string up soup cans around your perimeter for an early warning.

Don't chase a bear and try to pat it on the butt. It's an old Indian tracker game that I read about. I can tell you from personal experience that they do not like that kind of play. I still can't believe I was that stupid.

By the way, don't waste your money on the little jingle bells for your shoes. That was the first joke I heard in AK.

Just keep a clean camp and be "bear safe" and you will avoid any problems.

You can get canisters of pepper spray at REI and other places. Just don't spray into the wind and wipe your canister on Batman's cape.

Remember, boys and girls, bears are our friends.

-Buzz

Edited by Buzz, 21 July 2009 - 12:11 PM.

#20 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:27 PM

See the PM, guys....

Dave in Seattle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users