11 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 August 2021 - 06:46 PM

Is good advice if you follow it. Its time for the 54th annual Sierra Trek. I won't do Fordyce in my Jeep anymore. I run 33s on my Jeep and now 35s are the minimum. I've done it enough anyway, don't need to beat my Jeep up anymore. 

However, I was not really prepared for this trip. By the time I was ready to pull out it was late and I just said the heck with it and left the Jeep home. Horribly smoky on the way up 80 but by the time I got to Meadow Lake it was nice and clear. No pics of the truck stuck. Camp pics is all I have. 

KIMG0493-M.jpg

Unfortunately the band wasn't the greatest.

KIMG0488-M.jpg

What to do after breakfast? We (Riley was along of course) hiked up the road and out onto the rock where it sort of overlooks the Fordyce trail. My legs are still paying for that (plus the numerous trips from my camp to the main camp) one. Then I decided it was time to go for a drive. I'd locked the hubs earlier to get up on the blocks and low range seemed like a good idea anyway. The road is marked and mapped for all vehicle but its rough and I hope no one actually tries to drive it in a car. I was a ways into it and I was checking out a spur to my left when I felt the truck slide into the ditch. Its a good thing the hubs were locked in because there is no way I'd have been able to lock the passenger side sitting in the ditch. 

Drug out the winch cable only to find no power to the winch. Now I'm having visions of massive tow bills. I needn't have. Its Sierra Trek weekend and tons of people are out and about. Some SxS came by about ten minutes later. I wasn't surprised they couldn't budge the truck. Then a couple Jeeps come up the road. They tried pulling my backwards. That just got me deeper into the ditch. I'd rather not send for help back to the main camp though I'm sure plenty would have come to help. Well if we just drag it forward the ditch gets shallower and it may come out. It worked! Happy happy joy joy. Enough for one day. Time to turn around and go back. I'd had enough for one day. 

My side light got ripped off and some scratches and so forth but no dents. I was lucky. One lady in a SxS had stayed and took pics. Later in the main camp she comes up to me. Are you missing anything? She hands me my phone. I hadn't even realized it was missing. Phew. 

I just finished washing the truck and I notice the rear passenger side tire looks low. Yep, about half what I normally run. I never noticed a thing driving home. Time to go out and diagnose the winch.

Btw, Sunday the smoke rolled in thick. No relief in sight for the fires :(

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 August 2021 - 07:18 PM

Hey Craig

Glad you got pulled out.  Sounds a lot like some of those trails we use above Meadow Lake, heading towards the Baltimore Lake trailhead.   Last time we were up, there was a tree across the road, and only the SxS folks had gone around.   My Tundra just made it, but I know my bigger truck would not.  I always pick up a few more scratches on the trail.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 August 2021 - 08:08 PM

I was on the road that leads into Jackson Meadows Res. I'm not sure if I've hiked into Baltimore Lake or maybe just some little pond in that general area.

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 August 2021 - 09:33 PM

Well Craig some days your the windshield and sometimes your the bug

Glad everything worked out. It could have been really bad what with a

lost phone .

You had some good Karma going that's for sure.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 August 2021 - 10:25 PM

A good story that had lucky written all over it. So nice when it turns out that way! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 16 August 2021 - 10:52 PM

I was on the road that leads into Jackson Meadows Res. I'm not sure if I've hiked into Baltimore Lake or maybe just some little pond in that general area.

I know that stretch, which is heading north past the Meadow Lake cemetery from the campground.  I think there's Tollhouse and Catfish lakes if you keep going to Jackson Meadows.   There are some deep ruts! 

Nevada Irrigation District has gated off the road to French Lake, but you can walk in to the dam on that road.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#7 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 August 2021 - 12:20 AM

Glad you got out Craig!! In the 90's I used to camp at the north end of Meadow Lake or on the shoreline in my '85 Westphalia. Used to be a favorite spot to paddle around and hike. Stopped going there after the campground was developed sometime in the early 2000s. 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 August 2021 - 02:24 AM

Bunch of people camped at Tollhouse. For as many times as I've been to Meadow Lake I don't know the rest of that area very well. I need to spend some time up there with the Jeep just familiarizing myself with the rest of the lakes nearby.

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 02:42 AM

Bunch of people camped at Tollhouse. For as many times as I've been to Meadow Lake I don't know the rest of that area very well. I need to spend some time up there with the Jeep just familiarizing myself with the rest of the lakes nearby.

I always wanted to get up to Hidden Lake, on the flanks of English Mountain.  

Another spot you might enjoy is Bear Valley, just off the Meadow Lake Road, where the PCT crosses it.  

We finally made the trip from Bear Valley (near White Rock Lake), to Tom's Valley, and down, down, down to Perazzo Meadows.  

It's another way back, if you get stuck behind the trailer traffic after the Sierra Jamboree, although much slower and rougher.  Don't need a jeep, just drive it when things are dry.  There's some big mud holes.

#10 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 August 2021 - 02:54 PM

Some areas to explore out of Nevada City are Graniteville Road from Malakoff Diggins to Bowman Lake or Gaston Road from Washington to Bowman Lake. Perazzo Meadows that Lighthawk mentions is beautiful in the fall and worth checking out. Lots of brookies in the creek that meanders through it.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users