Going on a Diet - Safety Gear and Tools

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 05:35 AM

In another thread I explained that in investigating the conversion to a flat bed, I discovered my rig was a little portly. I've been shedding pounds and now I'm down to the safety/tool stuff I carry. I went overboard initially, even carrying an aluminum floor jack (which I actually used on another truck first day out). I've cut back to the kit listed below. I don't think I'll cut any more. Some things I only bring if we're headed into placed where they're needed. For example, boards only come if we're in snow or sand. The bushranger only comes if we're going offroad and I think the stock bottle jack might not work well enough. Again, sand as an example. In any case, below is the list. 

ARB Rapid deflator

Viair 450P Compressor (we deflate frequently)

Bunker Industries Traction Boards

ARB Bushranger Jack

Safety Seal Tire Repair Kit and Fix-A-Flat

NOCO Boost HD 2000A Lithium Jump Pack

Agawa Canyon Boreal 21 Saw

Garage Monkey Engineering Battery "Flares"

Basic Tool Kit (through socket set, screwdrivers, channel locks, crescent wrench, hammer, folding shovel)

After that are the things I'm thinking of jettisoning, but I want permission.  ;)

Jumper Cables (seems redundant with the NOCO)

D-Rings, Hitch Ring, Strap (I'm not adept at extracting others and if someone comes to get me, they should have what they need) 

Ditching these couple of things will actually save a fairly substantial amount of weight.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks as always for the sage advice of the collective!  :)

Edited by eyemgh, 17 August 2021 - 02:34 PM.

#2 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 02:50 PM

Howdy

Always a good idea to shed things not needed for a specific trip....

With our new truck and Grandby we shed the FWD......

David Graves

#3 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 03:01 PM

Howdy

Always a good idea to shed things not needed for a specific trip....

With our new truck and Grandby we shed the FWD......

David Graves

That’s a big weight reduction! Having grown up w/ RWD in the snow, I leave our truck in 2WD most of the time. That said, we ski a lot and some days they only allow 4WD up the hill. We also mostly dispersed camp. We have a few hiding spots that require 4WD, occasionally even low. 

Edited by eyemgh, 17 August 2021 - 03:01 PM.

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 17 August 2021 - 03:05 PM

Ditch the bow shackles and go with soft. Keep the hitch ring and strap(s)…assuming others will show up with those items is wishful thinking. You can offset the weight of these items by judiciously culling your tool kit to include only those sizes used on your truck. Refer to J. Hanson’s articles on tool selection. I’d keep the aluminum floor jack and ditch the OEM, much more useful and stable in the majority of situations. After watching a truck roll off an exhaust bag jack I don’t trust them and they weigh a surprising 25#. Say goodbye to the jumper cables, they’re becoming anachronistic. Good luck with your diet!

As always, YMMV. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#5 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 05:04 PM

Refer to J. Hanson’s articles on tool selection. 

I did a bit of searching both on the forum and with Google. I can't seem to hunt anything down. Would you kindly point me in the direction. Thanks!

#6 OutToLunch

OutToLunch

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 07:39 PM

I ditched my jumper cables years ago.  They take up a lot of space and they can useless when you are boondocking and no one is around.  Replaced the jumper cables with a lithium jump pack.  Less space, more versatile. The jump pack has enough struggle that I can use it to run lights, recharge iPad, etc.

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 August 2021 - 11:49 PM

Have to agree with the "jump pack".

I bought one years ago have never

used it for my vehicle but have helped others.

So I guess that makes it worthwhile.

I'll keep the cables they stash away behind the grill area out of the way.

Use most of the other stuff,or think I will use it.

Better to have and never use then need and not have IMO.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 18 August 2021 - 03:42 AM

Great topic - I am working to configure my shell build and one of my primary goals to not to unnecessarily used up valuable space with heavy and seldomly used tools, components, etc.

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 18 August 2021 - 04:38 AM

I wouldn't give up a strap, or jumper cables.  

You may be the one who comes upon a less fortunate traveler.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#10 eyemgh

eyemgh

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 05:11 AM

I wouldn't give up a strap, or jumper cables.  

You may be the one who comes upon a less fortunate traveler.

I forked over the bucks for two Bubba Rope Gator-Jaw soft shackles and a Gear America billet aluminum receiver shackle mount. They’ll replace the much heavier Rhino Gear steel equivalents. And my wallet is lighter too.  :D

Edited by eyemgh, 18 August 2021 - 05:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users