• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 22 August 2021 - 04:16 PM

Just did a trip to the Winds and stopped at the ranger station in Pinedale. The ranger there said the main thing to do about food was to stow it all away in the truck or camper. Do not leave any food outside!! I also stopped in the Lander field office and was given the same advice. That said, we don't cook inside the camper in bear territory and bear spray is a must. I'm still not sure about air horns. What I've read about them is if a bear has heard one before it likely won't be scared off by it. I've only backpacked in the Sierra's and have never had a bear encounter. I usually hang my food sack and where required use a Bear Vault.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#12 Doff

Doff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 05:11 PM

After 34 years of car camping and 32 years of backpacking I’ve never had a bear encounter related to food (seen plenty on the trail). But, the camper dose change up how I do things, so I was curious on what precautions everyone takes. Sounds like a general agreement to store the food out of sight, don’t cook in the camper and in brown bear areas keep bear spray.

#13 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 22 August 2021 - 07:12 PM

Just did a trip to the Winds and stopped at the ranger station in Pinedale. The ranger there said the main thing to do about food was to stow it all away in the truck or camper. Do not leave any food outside!! I also stopped in the Lander field office and was given the same advice. That said, we don't cook inside the camper in bear territory and bear spray is a must. I'm still not sure about air horns. What I've read about them is if a bear has heard one before it likely won't be scared off by it. I've only backpacked in the Sierra's and have never had a bear encounter. I usually hang my food sack and where required use a Bear Vault.

Sidebar....I leave for Winds 9-6 and enter @ Elkhart TH for 10-12 days above 10+K...Indian Basin area primarily...questions pertaining to bears in the Winds...when and where was the last time bears there had run-ins with humans [not counting ranchers B) ]?   Being a Vegan gives me a little edge on food odors!  Having said that, with a "no fires" outside established campgrounds [none in Winds] it will not be the same, I understand the logic but a small fire and a good sunrise with coffee is the backcountry experience...guess down to coffee and watching the sun come up..I also have camped out of a pack and now in the FWC in 'big bear' country for decades and have never had a negative contact...

Did you have much lightening?  Where?

Thanks..Phil

Ps...Ronin were you backpacking or FWC camping or both?

Edited by Wallowa, 22 August 2021 - 07:48 PM.

#14 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 22 August 2021 - 07:13 PM

Phil,

Being a Vegan gives me a little edge on food odors!  ???

How so?  Much of the food from India is vegan or vegetarian and the odors are wonderful.  :)

Besides much of the food for bears and, essentially,  all of it for cougars are vegetarians or vegans.  :rolleyes:  :P

Paul

ps. I need a tongue-in-cheek emoticon.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#15 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 22 August 2021 - 07:46 PM

Phil,

Being a Vegan gives me a little edge on food odors!  ???

How so?  Much of the food from India is vegan or vegetarian and the odors are wonderful.  :)

Besides much of the food for bears and, essentially,  all of it for cougars are vegetarians or vegans.  :rolleyes:  :P

Paul

ps. I need a tongue-in-cheek emoticon.

Ha!  Paul I expected something along this line, well done...obviously bears are omnivores but they are primarily carnivores...hence the smell of blood or meat is an attractant; big time.  In Kicking Horse CG I watched a bear get trapped by ranger in a culvert trap:  Bait was bacon.

Also, pertaining to bear spray possibly being an attractant....listened to two different ranger presentations on this point...not during the use to defensively push a bear away but the lingering odor as it dissipates can lure in other bears...anything pungent will do the job..not so much lentils but even tooth paste....or a really good curry dish!  B)

The topic of how to deal with bears is right up there with "what motor oil is the best'; never ending and wildly divergent opinions....all good to listen to and then pick your preference..

Phil

#16 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:36 AM

No backpacking this trip. Lot of day hiking at various points of the CDT. We had a thunderstorm while camped in the Red Desert. We were perched on top of a mesa and obviously the tallest object out there, so we sat in the truck for about an hour until the storm passed through. None of the lightning strikes were close. We also had thunderstorms camped near Dubois and again the next night while at Grand Teton. No lightning at Green River Lakes area. Have a great trip.

Sidebar....I leave for Winds 9-6 and enter @ Elkhart TH for 10-12 days above 10+K...Indian Basin area primarily...questions pertaining to bears in the Winds...when and where was the last time bears there had run-ins with humans [not counting ranchers B) ]?   Being a Vegan gives me a little edge on food odors!  Having said that, with a "no fires" outside established campgrounds [none in Winds] it will not be the same, I understand the logic but a small fire and a good sunrise with coffee is the backcountry experience...guess down to coffee and watching the sun come up..I also have camped out of a pack and now in the FWC in 'big bear' country for decades and have never had a negative contact...

Did you have much lightening?  Where?

Thanks..Phil

Ps...Ronin were you backpacking or FWC camping or both?

PS 

I don't know about recent bear encounters but the rangers as well as the BLM folks I spoke to take them seriously. Some trailheads we were going to hike were closed due to "bear activity"activity". It's a good idea to talk to the folks at the district field offices to get the latest info on bears, trail conditions, weather, etc.

Edited by Ronin, 23 August 2021 - 03:29 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,980 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:57 AM

Ha!  Paul I expected something along this line, well done...obviously bears are omnivores but they are primarily carnivores...hence the smell of blood or meat is an attractant; big time.  In Kicking Horse CG I watched a bear get trapped by ranger in a culvert trap:  Bait was bacon.

Also, pertaining to bear spray possibly being an attractant....listened to two different ranger presentations on this point...not during the use to defensively push a bear away but the lingering odor as it dissipates can lure in other bears...anything pungent will do the job..not so much lentils but even tooth paste....or a really good curry dish!  B)

The topic of how to deal with bears is right up there with "what motor oil is the best'; never ending and wildly divergent opinions....all good to listen to and then pick your preference..

Phil

kicking horse... Yoho NP in Canada?

#18 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:25 PM

kicking horse... Yoho NP in Canada?

Yup...that be it...a favorite camping, backpacking area for me...bear capture was in '70s ; she had two cubs, which went up a tree and authorities darted them and they fell.... "wildlife management" at it's finest. 

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,980 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 August 2021 - 04:35 AM

Nice... Yoho is almost in my backyard.  

#20 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 26 August 2021 - 11:13 PM

I have extensive personal experience testing the Bear Resistant Containers made by the company of which I am part owner and I can say for sure that a hungry bear will eat anthing that smells or even looks like food, including toothpaste, bread, apples, grains, meat, candy bars, popcorn, vegetables, even aromatic items such as suntan lotion and lip balm.  Even grey water from the sink (dishwashing, tooth brushing, etc) needs to be properly stored and disposed of (we iuse a grey water container and try hard to avoid spills and dumping rinse water on the ground near our campsite).

Bears habituated to and by humans are particularly problematic and it often results in them being euthanized.   

As the rangers in all forests and parks advise, keep all food stuff out of sight and in secure containers.

Here is a borrowed set of recommendations that are sound:

General Food Storage Tips

Keeping human food (and other aromatic items such as toiletries) away from animals requires similar practices in both a campground and backcountry campsite. Here are some general tips:

• Never leave food, trash or other scented products inside your tent.
  • Never leave your food unattended. Jays, squirrels and chipmunks can quickly snatch food in broad daylight, and other animals come foraging at night.

Food Storage in a Campground

• During the day, keep all your food secured in your cooler or car, even if you’re sitting nearby or on a short jaunt to the outhouse, and especially if you’re away on a hike.
  • At night, place any loose food, plus a cooler if you have one, inside a metal bear box if there is one. Storing food inside a car can also be an option in certain areas, but you need to check with local land managers first because some areas (where bears have become adept at breaking into vehicles) prohibit the practice. Raccoons and bears are adept at opening coolers left in the open. Some cooler manufacturers claim certain models are bear-proof, though padlocks might be required. Use a bear resistant canister, if bears are a known nuisance in the campground.

If a bear gets your food it is your fault.  

Edited by ckent323, 26 August 2021 - 11:19 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users