• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 01 September 2021 - 03:20 AM

We are a month into our 2-1/2 month Alaska trip.  We are travelling with another couple who also have a 1993 Dodge W250.  They have a 1984 FWC Keystone on their truck.  He did not want to get a HAM license.

Prior to the trip I bought two Midland MXT400 GMRS radios.  We both got FCC licences (fee only no test) and have been using the radios to conmmunicate truck to truck.  The radios work great. Much easier to coordinate photo, fuel and restroom stops.   The old FRS handhelds we tried previously during our 2018 Alaska trip just didn't have sufficient range.  We have been able to easily comminicate when several miles apart.

For those of you who travel with others in separate vehicles I recommend these radios.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 September 2021 - 06:42 PM

Craig just read your trip itinerary,quit a trip.

How did you get the rail cars to Alaska?

You might have mentioned that earlier this year but

I have forgotten.

Hope your trip is going well.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:36 AM

Frank,

The cars were put in a container and sent by barge.  They arrived in Whiitier, AK yesterday.  We are now in Anchoprage after a beautiful drive from Valdez today. We will retrieve the cars on Saturday.

The motorcar group had a coordinator work the shipping details.

Our group is the North American Railcar Owners Association (NARCOA)

https://www.narcoa.org/

North American Railcar

Operators Association

#4 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 02 September 2021 - 03:09 PM

What kind of range did you get with FRS radios?

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 September 2021 - 06:24 PM

Frank,

The cars were put in a container and sent by barge.  They arrived in Whiitier, AK yesterday.  We are now in Anchoprage after a beautiful drive from Valdez today. We will retrieve the cars on Saturday.

The motorcar group had a coordinator work the shipping details.

Our group is the North American Railcar Owners Association (NARCOA)

https://www.narcoa.org/

North American Railcar

Operators Association

Thanks for the info Craig. That site has some great photos.

I have even been to several of the places.

We are train buffs also but from the looking end now not the riding end.

Enjoy your trip.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 02 September 2021 - 10:51 PM

rubberlegs,

The range of FRS handhelds is probably less than a mile because FRS only allows only up to 2 watts whereas GMRS allows up to 50 watts in some channels as well as repeaters. 

The GMRS radios that we are using (Midland MXT400 model) have facilitated good clear communication at least as far as 7 or 8 miles on flat terrain with trees.  Like all radios of this type buildings hills and things cut down the useful range.  In flat unobscured terrain I have seen Youtube videos demonstrating at least 15 mile range.   Another feature of this model is repeater access (I have not used it) which can extend the comminunication range significantly.

We have noticed very little exterraneous chatter.  When we first selected a channel we encountered an evesdropping blabbermouth in the central valley of Calif.  We had a pre-arranged backup channel and switched to that without having to broadcast it.  We left the ievesdropper behind and have had no trouble since.

Beats the heck out of CB!!!!!

All the controls are in the microphone which is most convenient and makes the radio easy to mount out of the way and out of sight with only the microphone visible.   I have used boththe 3db short antenna and the 6 db whip antenna.  The other vehicle we are with is using the basic antenna that came with the radio.  I recommend the 3 db antenna.  

Midland is allegedly coming out with a new model late this year with more features and power.

I also bought a Wouxun KG-905G handheld for use when I go scout an area on foot.  It allows me to talk to my wife in the truck or to the occupants of the other truck.  Works great.  Range is at least 3/4 mile through trees.

Edited by ckent323, 02 September 2021 - 10:54 PM.

#7 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 07 October 2021 - 09:13 AM

The GMRS radios worked great during our Alaska trip and were a huge improvement in corrdinating on the fly over our 2018 trip.  The handheld also worked well allowing me to scout out areas on foot while staying on communication with the trucks.  On flat terrain even with trees we were able to communicate clearly over a 10 mile gap between us at one point.  Even with hills separating us we had clear communications when separated by sevaral miles.

On the McCarthy road I was able to report road conditions and oncomming traffic in real time to the following vehicle which they greatly appreciated.  They were able to advise me of vehicles passing them and that would be overtaking us.  We are also able to communicate wildlife sightings which helped maximize the chances that we would all be able to see animals before they moved out of sight.

#8 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 07 October 2021 - 01:21 PM

I’ve been following your trip report and it sounds like a great time. Re: GMRS antennas. After using it for a longer period of time over varied terrain, do you still recommend the 3db over the 6db and why? Thanks in advance. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#9 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 07 October 2021 - 04:45 PM

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question.  I initially installed the 3 db antenna on a magnetic base on to pf the cab.  I also had the 6 db antenna so I installed in to the magnetic base not long after we were on the road.  However, our trvelling companions only installed the small antenna that comes with the radio. My communications usually came in strong someties his were scatchy.  I could not tell the difference in signal between the 3 db and 6 db probably because our travelling partner only used the small antenna.

We had very little interference for other radios the whole trip.  Occasionally we would pick up an FRS radio when travelling through a city so we would just change to a different channel.  The range of the FRS radios are very limited so we had no issues once we got a mile or so away from the initial point of contact.

My best recommendtation is to go with the 3db antenna.  A large reason is that it is very low profile. 

I hope that is of some help.

#10 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 09 October 2021 - 04:57 PM

Thanks!

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users