Photo
- - - - -

Slightly Bent Roof (Middle latches being the low point)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:38 PM

I purchased my camper used a year ago, and the roof is slightly bent.  It might have gotten worse once when I camped in the mountains in the spring and got an unexpected heavy snow over night.   I wish I knew what originally happened to it, but do not.

The passenger side middle latch location is the lowest.  The previous owner has actually had to cut the latch bolt portion (where you can screw it in and out to adjust the height) shorter so he could shorten it enough to latch down. 
It's not bad...  Maybe about an inch shorter there..  The canvas side is a bit slack in the middle on that side because of it. 

Is there anything I can do about this?  It's not causing any problems that I'm aware of, so maybe the solution is to ignore it as best I can :).   

Thanks for any advice.

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 September 2021 - 09:11 PM

Maybe check with the camper manufacture.

FWC or ATC.

You might check with Marty at ATC even if it's a FWC.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:24 PM

Wick, there are a few threads about people using wood blocks as a fulcrum to deal with a bent roof.  The person then pulling down on the ends of the camper to resource the proper arch. Talk to the builder about how to do this safely.

I am haunted by waters

#4 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:42 PM

Thanks sagebrush.. I must have seen those threads in the past as I have that idea in my mind (I'll try searching better).... 
I want to see how people have it supported before I try.. I did put blocks on the outside, near the latch locations and applied some force, but was afraid of the blocks moving and tearing the vinyl.   And as I said, it's not bad.  Everything functions.  The 8"+ of snow last spring wasn't too much for it or anything.. So might be one of those things that's not worth fixing, if there's risk of more damage.  (But I want to fix it ALL :) )

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 14 September 2021 - 02:25 AM

My Puma came to me with the same issue, driver's side middle latch on mine.  I did bend it as per the various posts here have described, but it didn't bend back all the way.  The sag bugs me.  So I also prop it up from the inside once it it up.  My fridge sits right under that spot, so it is easy to wedge a section of plywood in there.  

Now, I have forgotten to remove that wedge a few times when lowering the roof.  That SHOULD have bent the roof back into it's proper shape, but didn't (yet).

I'm just going to live with mine as is, but both me and the boss do admire the taught sides of a new FWC!

#6 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 September 2021 - 02:50 AM

On my fall trip last year I bent my roof (I placed an aluminum angle on roof to show bend):

bent1.jpg

This is what I used to fix it (long cabinetmaker clamps):

bent3.jpg

I placed a 1"X1"X2" block between the top of the side and roof at the bend.

I over bent it because there is some springback.

Result:

bent2.jpg

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 14 September 2021 - 06:35 AM

that looks like it worked.  May try that this winter.

#8 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 14 September 2021 - 07:28 PM

Regarding what originally happened to it, read the three year old thread “I goofed” that just got revived. It most likely was caused by someone trying to lift the roof with one or both of the side latches latched.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#9 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:08 PM

Thanks,
I saw that, and thought the same thing.. I think you're correct. 

There have been a lot of encouraging posts about the topic, so I might try bending it back...  I'll add it to the list of repair items.  That'll be a good one for when the cooler weather gets here. (doesn't involve water or crawling on the ground under the truck)

The camper truck is like an old bomber... Practically have to check every bolt and screw, and make repairs after every outing..  And it's only 6 years old. (I'm not complaining, though... I love it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users